Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moocall calving sensor

Options
  • 10-09-2020 4:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭

I note that moocall are currently running a special offer with their calving sensor,

Just wonder are they worth a punt ?

When does the sensor Notify you, when the feet are out ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,227 ✭✭✭tanko

I’ve never used one but does it not notify you long before that when the animal starts lifting her tail?

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Sugarbowl

I have one... find it really good. You get 2 notifications, 2 hours before and 1 hour before calving approximately. I find it great for nighttime that the text wakes you up, rather than getting up checking during the night if you don’t have cameras. You would have a bit of time then to get her into the calving pen and let her work away then. Good job for me anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭50HX

+1

Discussed on other threads re moocall v camera v " i know when the pins are down so don't need one"

Have one here with 5 years......find it great

Everyones situation is different..

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭ABitofsense

How do you put it on them though?
    I looked into it as I work off farm but if I had to bring each one around to the crush to put it on, would be a pain. Plus the one I'll be watching will probably not calve! while a different one will.

Shake of nuts at the barrier and you'll get it on

Most of mine are use to being walked around and handled everyday when inside as i have a cubicle house with flow channel leading into slatted house so they are use to me

I put it on when i see tbe dug starting to fill with milk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

How much are they generally ?

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Sugarbowl

How much are they generally ?

I paid 320 for mine a few years ago. Then 150 every year for subscription.

But say if you have 20 calves off it during the year, that’s less than 10e a calf. Worth it when it saves that bit of hassle of them calving on slats or in the cubicle house.

Also no problem getting it on. Like poster above said, nuts or silage at the barrier and clip it on behind them. If they used to handling it’s no bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

I find them perticularly good this time of year. I can leave the cow in the feild with the moo-call on and have a bit of comfort going to bed

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭curiousinvestor

Apologies if I'm being dense, but what's the special offer. I saw no offer on their site

On agridirect.ie the cost is €299 for the Moocall unit, two years free subscription, two years free extended warranty and a free bodywarmer giving a total saving of €260.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭maconof

Have used ours for the past 4 years. Live about 10 mins drive from the farm and find it very handy for the 4am calvings :D Has paid for itself numerous times.

I’m sure it’s good at times of the year when cows are out in a field and you know exactly which one will calve next but when cows are in the shed a camera or two is a far better job imo.

The 26 cows and heifers calved in 41 days here this year. I would have been guessing which one of 4/5 cows to put a moocall on if I had one.

A text to my phone wouldn’t wake me if I was wrecked tired at that time of year either. Can’t beat a good alarm clock or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭ABitofsense

tanko wrote: »
    The 26 cows and heifers calved in 41 days here this year. I would have been guessing which one of 4/5 cows to put a moocall on if I had one.

This is the worry i have with it. I had 10 calve this year within 10 days and none were in the expected order even though I had the AI dates. I work 40min away so i installed cheap cameras myself which honestly is a calf saver.

I think this would work well if calving is spread but if your running a tight calving window it would be tough to predict which

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Micey.ie

I have Moocall 5/6 years now and can say it’s best purchase on the farm I ever made. I know if you’ve tight calving it can be difficult to decide but one gets good at estimating when they gonna calf and if you have bulling/AI date its helps.There customer service is second to none. I live 30 minutes away and just wait for text,I would say it better than camera.I wouldn’t be calving cows without it

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭josephsoap

Micey.ie wrote: »
    I have Moocall 5/6 years now and can say it’s best purchase on the farm I ever made. I know if you’ve tight calving it can be difficult to decide but one gets good at estimating when they gonna calf and if you have bulling/AI date its helps.There customer service is second to none. I live 30 minutes away and just wait for text,I would say it better than camera.I wouldn’t be calving cows without it

How accurate is it generally before the cow calves (naturally) ?

Did if ever give any false alarms?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

For the price would a decent camera set up be better? I'd be same as tanko have an old bell alarm clock to wake me as a txt wouldn't do it. In spring if pins are down I'd stay up if not I go to bed see em in the morning. Admittedly it is easier to see pins down on dairy cow's than the suckler ladies

Works on all my cows here bar one.....older cow doesn't hang about at calving time.

I had a few at the start with false alarms

Found it better to stick it on a cow gor a day or 2 well calving just to getcemnuse to

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Micey.ie

josephsoap wrote: »
    How accurate is it generally before the cow calves (naturally) ?

Did if ever give any false alarms?

It’s very accurate,once you get the 1st text(high activity last hour) means cow has started contractions,There is usually no panic at this stage,you then get another text 1 hour later- This is when I get up and go,I find at this stage the average cow calving will have least feet showing,although I have 2 big cows which will spit them out after 1st text.If after 1/2 hour after second text there’s no sign of feet I put hand in an investigate.The good thing also is you know how long the cow is trying to calve.
    If you download MooCall app you can have text alert as roar of cow mooing and it should waken even the heaviest of sleepers.
    You do get the odd false alarm which can be down to device on too tight or if calf is breached and calf moving inside.But if you get the two texts 1 hour apart usually means she’s calving.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭hopeso

Moocall are currently offering ploughing match discounts on their website.... https://moocall.com/?fbclid=IwAR1EqlsR2q1fB33aD7HLdkcoAIUCFL2Em5qpbvc_L4XPxeLO9i8FWf2F3go

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭minerleague

hopeso wrote: »
    Moocall are currently offering ploughing match discounts on their website.... https://moocall.com/?fbclid=IwAR1EqlsR2q1fB33aD7HLdkcoAIUCFL2Em5qpbvc_L4XPxeLO9i8FWf2F3go

Do you pay a fee every year? Would like to get one of the farm software products and dont mind initial cost of purchase but all charge ongoing fees

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭curiousinvestor

Hi all.
    Just wondering did anyone avail of the offers.
    I'm thinking of getting one.
    Any issues.
    Are there different / newer models launched recently.
    Any info that i needs to know before I buy

I think the special offer is over now, it was a good discount in fairness.
    Lots of farmers seem to be very happy with it, especially when calving cows outdoors.
    Cameras seem like a better job indoors.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Farmer_3650

I was looking into buying one a few years ago but decided against it. I know a good few lads with them and they work well for them but I'd have most of my cows calving relatively close together, so I'd only be guessing which one which one will calve next. Have Camera's here and they were one of the best things I've ever purchased.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

Have one for using on first calf heifers. Paid for itself the first season. I find if you put it on the tail, then wrap insulating tape to keep it on it works better. Too tight gives false alarms and too loose it falls off into the straw bed and is hard to find.

Advertisement