Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Ireland & Child Orthadontist Care

Options
  • 10-09-2020 3:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

I am in the process of moving back to Ireland from the UK. My son is currently midway through treatment under the NHS and has braces on both top and bottom teeth. What will I need to do for him to continue to receive treatment in Ireland?

All advice gratefully received.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,084 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

I am in the process of moving back to Ireland from the UK. My son is currently midway through treatment under the NHS and has braces on both top and bottom teeth. What will I need to do for him to continue to receive treatment in Ireland?

All advice gratefully received.

First of all, you will have to pay private fees for the treatment. As I’m sure you know, there is no NHS-type orthodontic treatment available to all over here. The HSE will not accept your son onto their list.

It can be difficult, but not impossible to find an orthodontist to take over mid treatment. The concern would be that if treatment does not meet patient expectations, the Orthodontist here would not have been responsible for treatment from the start and may not agree with what was discussed at the outset of your son’s treatment in the UK.

If you are relocating to a home near the border, you may be able to find an ortho in the North who will continue to provide treatment on the NHS, but again, depending on payments from the NHS in NI, this might not be possible.

Best you can do is phone around, but if the ortho treatment is near completion, you may have no option but to travel back to your UK ortho every couple of months.

Advertisement