Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Impossible to Unlock Iphone XS - Vodafone locked

Options
  • 10-09-2020 1:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi All

I am hoping someone can help, or, a Vodafone representative can help.

To say, I am fuming is an understatement.

Just over a year ago my daughter bought an Iphone XS secondhand from CEX. It was locked to Vodafone, which she only realised now when she tried to change providers.

I phoned Vodafone support to assist and they refuse to help because they need:
    1. Agreement from the original owner - (not possible to get this due to GDPR, and its secondhand)
    2. At least €137 topup in the last 6 months (we've been in a pandemic and she's been at home - no real need to topup)

I have had multiple words with vodafone and they outright refuse and insisted i contact the reseller. So I contacted CEX and they have told me that they or anyone in Ireland will not be able to unlock and Iphone XS. They suggested i contact Vodafone or Apple.

I contacted Apple and they told me i need to go back to Vodafone. So I have gone a full circle.

It would be OK, if Vodafone offered some sort of data only Student package, but lets face it - they don't - its business orientated only.

I get a phone being part of a contract not being able to be unlocked, but a second hand phone that has no ities to the orginal contract - come on! why is sim locking still a thing in the first place, its anti-competitive and needs to be rid off for good.

Is there ANYONE who can offer some solution for me before I go bald pulling my hair out.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Stretchie wrote: »
    Just over a year ago my daughter bought an Iphone XS secondhand from CEX. It was locked to Vodafone, which she only realised now when she tried to change providers.

Most/All phone sold are locked to the origional provider, this should have been made clear when the phone was sold, amd CEX normally do. All the Iphone XS currently for sale their site are either listed as unlocked, or vodafone/3 etc.
    At least €137 topup in the last 6 months (we've been in a pandemic and she's been at home - no real need to topup)

Vodafone subsidised the phone when it was origionally sold, that's why unlock phone can be a lot more expensive.
    I get a phone being part of a contract not being able to be unlocked, but a second hand phone that has no ities to the orginal contract - come on! .

But it has ties back to the origional contact, that had conditions that pass along with the phone.
    why is sim locking still a thing in the first place, its anti-competitive and needs to be rid off for good.

If you want locking gone, then so it the network subsidy. It's not anti-competitive since you always have the option of buying an unlocked phone. Nobody forces people to by subsidised phones.
    It would be OK, if Vodafone offered some sort of data only Student package, but lets face it - they don't - its business orientated only

Vodaphone X, 20 euro a month for unlimited data
    Is there ANYONE who can offer some solution for me before I go bald pulling my hair out.

You have three choices
    • Pay the blood money to Vodafone and switch to the new network
    • Stay with Vodafone
    • Get another phone

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Stretchie

You have three choices
    • Pay the blood money to Vodafone and switch to the new network
    • Stay with Vodafone
    • Get another phone

Yes - it was stated by CEX that it was locked - she just missed it.

As for paying blood money - I am happy to pay - but vodafone won't give me that option - they will just not unlock the device straight out.

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭gibgodsman

Yes - it was stated by CEX that it was locked - she just missed it.

As for paying blood money - I am happy to pay - but vodafone won't give me that option - they will just not unlock the device straight out.

Iphones are absolutely horrible to get unlocked, Vodafone have no reason to unlock the phone considering you did not buy it from them, CeX are clear when selling phones that they are locked to specific networks. No one will be able to unlock an IphoneX, your only options are to either stick with Vodafone or sell the phone on.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,998 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Might be someone on this page that can help
    Can't break free from your provider? A third party might be able to help.
    https://48.ie/unlock-your-phone

Their current offer is pretty good also

https://48.ie/

Might be someone on this page that can help

https://48.ie/unlock-your-phone

Their current offer is pretty good also

https://48.ie/

thanks - i will give them a look

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,930 ✭✭✭dodzy

ITFix. Capel street (Bolton street end). They do VF unlocks.

well blow me over.....after persistent bugging of vodafone through the customer care number, I managed to get the phone unlocked at no cost. I take back any bad words I might have made towards vodafone...well...except for the rubbish coverage at my house and that rubbish router they provide with their broadband packages

• Registered Users Posts: 13,998 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

well blow me over.....after persistent bugging of vodafone through the customer care number, I managed to get the phone unlocked at no cost. I take back any bad words I might have made towards vodafone...well...except for the rubbish coverage at my house and that rubbish router they provide with their broadband packages

Glad you got it sorted. :D

Was there any indication why they did not do this in the first place?

Glad you got it sorted. :D

Was there any indication why they did not do this in the first place?

Yeah - it needed to have come from the original owner and we needed to have topped up by at least 137 in the past 6 months. Every answer i got from them was not a chance until the last person i spoke to. I must have phoned 5 times at least and escalated twice - I am like a dog with a bone...I think they just gave up to get me off their case :D

Advertisement