Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Automated gates

Options
  • 09-09-2020 5:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭

We're installing automated gates at the entrance to our property. The driveway slopes downwards and we have room to install a gate that swings inwards. We would also have room at the side for a sliding gate though if that were a better option.

The main reason for installing the gates is that we have young children and want to let them run around the garden without worrying about them flying out onto the road.

Safety is obviously a consideration - don't want anyone getting trapped as the gate automatically opens.

At the moment we're looking at a King automation system with safety photo cells and 3 DEA safety edges. It'll also have a GSM module.

Since this is our first time putting in gates, would love to hear from others who have done so. Any reason to reconsider the above options or consider something else before we pull the trigger?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭fits

We are going through exact same process but also designing wall/piers etc. It’s a lot more complicated than I thought it would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,346 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,538 ✭✭✭kub

-snip-

Folks the days of self installing automatic gates or even working on or adjusting your own are now a thing of the past. Safety is the be all and end all, as of course it always should have been.

The HSA have issued a directive on them so please do yourselves a favour and employ the services of a professional.

https://www.hsa.ie/eng/Publications_and_Forms/Publications/Machinery_and_Work_Equipment/Guidelines_on_the_Safety_of_Powered_Gates.html

kub wrote: »
    Folks the days of self installing automatic gates or even working on or adjusting your own are now a thing of the past. Safety is the be all and end all, as of course it always should have been.

The HSA have issued a directive on them so please do yourselves a favour and employ the services of a professional.

https://www.hsa.ie/eng/Publications_and_Forms/Publications/Machinery_and_Work_Equipment/Guidelines_on_the_Safety_of_Powered_Gates.html

Forum charter

4. 0 Advertising – Don’t !

4.1 Do not advertise any commercial activity on this site. This will lead to an immediate ban, the duration of which is at the moderators discretion.

4.2 The forum shall not be used by anyone for the purpose of personal gain by advertising their services directly/indirectly or referring to same in their posts. This includes user names, or providing website addresses, contact numbers, etc.

The HSE document is just a guide from an organisation that is largely discredited in certain quarters, the PSA can impose fines

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Shaunoc

Christ, that calahonda, there he goes again
    Good night all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭fits

Thought it was a fairly informative post actually. We are using a professional installer but still have questions about system going in.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,538 ✭✭✭kub

Forum charter

4. 0 Advertising – Don’t !

4.1 Do not advertise any commercial activity on this site. This will lead to an immediate ban, the duration of which is at the moderators discretion.

4.2 The forum shall not be used by anyone for the purpose of personal gain by advertising their services directly/indirectly or referring to same in their posts. This includes user names, or providing website addresses, contact numbers, etc.

The HSE document is just a guide from an organisation that is largely discredited in certain quarters, the PSA can impose fines

Thank you, well used to the rules and regs over on the Home Security forum and in general throughout this site.
    I was just trying to be of assistance to the OP most especially with the H&S stuff.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

just swing them out instead of in
    https://www.amazinggates.com/Gate-Layout-s/80.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 4,284 ✭✭✭Homer

Shaunoc wrote: »
    Christ, that calahonda, there he goes again
    Good night all

Pretty sure the charter has something about back seat modding too but hey!

Homer wrote: »
    Pretty sure the charter has something about back seat modding too but hey!

Let Madge read it to you in its entirety.:D
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055036302
    Its not back seat modding, its bringing integrity, authenticity and workability to the forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,869 ✭✭✭893bet

There was nothing wrong with letting people know he was a professional installer. Same as we know who is an architect around here etc.

A one second check of each profile shows (ie the OP and Kub) show that one of them is in cork and one of them is on the midlands. He is hardly touting for the job.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭landcrzr

Automatic gates are very difficult to make safe, sliding gates are the safer of the options listed though. You can have all of the safety edges and photo cells you want but you can't be 100% that they'll work at the one time you need them to and children are curious. Take the advice here about using a reputable and experienced installer.
    The safest method of operating one of these gates is a key switch that you must hold to operate from a position that you can see the whole gate, if you let go, it stops. We did this at work. After this a close proximity remote.
    I assume the GSM module is so you can open the gate with your mobile. The temptation is that you'll call the gate to open when you're nearly home so it's open when you get to it. That means you're relying on safety devices only if something goes wrong.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Mod note. Some posts edited, some posters warned. Thanks to those that brought the thread/post to our attention. We appreciate the use of the ‘Report’ Function as we don’t always see/read everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

Just wondering what is the typical cost to get automated gates installed. Supply the electrical gear and install. Already have a set of gates. Sorry for taking this off on a tangent

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Caspero

-snip-

No this isn't a DIY job. We've hired professionals to do everything. Just trying to find out if there's any alternatives in terms of the equipment and choices we should consider. I see from the wording of my post why you thought that though - I should have been clearer. When I said 'this is the first time we've put in gates' I meant, 'We haven't had gates installed at any other property we've lived at'.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

bobbyy gee wrote: »

You're not allowed swing them out onto property you do not own, unless I'm mistaken.

That link is useful, thanks. Looking around the site, I see there is a database consumers can search to check if a contractor is licenced. I was able to find the professionals we've chosen for the installation through that so it was great to be able to verify that they are indeed licensed.

Here's the database link in case anyone is looking for it: https://www.psa.gov.ie/en/PSA/webContract?OpenForm

bobbyy gee wrote: »
    https://www.amazinggates.com/Gate-Layout-s/80.htm

The driveway slopes downwards to the house so I don't think we'd need to do that....this would just be relevant if the driveway sloped down away from the house right?

(and obviously if it did you'd need to push the gates back so they still open onto your property)

landcrzr wrote: »
    Automatic gates are very difficult to make safe, sliding gates are the safer of the options listed though.

That's interesting, could you please expand on why sliding are safer than swing?

Couldn't someone get trapped in the area that the gate slides to? Or stick an arm through as it slides across past the pier?

Regarding swing gates, one consideration on our property is that the driveway slopes down a hill to the house. If the gates swing in towards the house there is only a risk of entrapment close to the pier. The rest of the gate will be over a couple of feet of air as it opens.

Am I right in thinking that the risk of entrapment close to the pier is pretty similar between swing and sliding gates?

• Advertisement

fits wrote: »
    Thought it was a fairly informative post actually

Was there information in the post about the best types of systems to use and whether King and DEA equipment is high quality?

That's one of my big questions, would love to have a PM if it's against forum rules to talk about specific system types for some reason.

This document and the UK links in it were very useful for learning about the safety hazards involved, thanks Kub!

If you have a min I would love a PM with whatever was snipped. Unfortunately I didn't get to read it before the mods removed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭landcrzr

Caspero wrote: »
    That's interesting, could you please expand on why sliding are safer than swing?

Couldn't someone get trapped in the area that the gate slides to? Or stick an arm through as it slides across past the pier?

Regarding swing gates, one consideration on our property is that the driveway slopes down a hill to the house. If the gates swing in towards the house there is only a risk of entrapment close to the pier. The rest of the gate will be over a couple of feet of air as it opens.

Am I right in thinking that the risk of entrapment close to the pier is pretty similar between swing and sliding gates?

I think the space a sliding gate slides into now needs to be enclosed, less chance of someone getting into this space. With a swinging gate, it's not possible to enclose the space the gate swings into.
    The best advice I've seen here is to go to an experienced installer or even a few of them and get their opinion and recommendations. Bear in mind though, that they are all looking to sell you an automated gate.

Advertisement