Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
New AMA with a US police officer (he's back!). You can ask your questions here

Reverse osmosis system

  • 09-09-2020 2:14pm
    #1
    Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭ tamara25


    Thinking of getting this in our home. Our water is very hard & has lots of limescale. Heard of a company called the water filtermen, has anyone dealt with them? What company would you recommend? I’m in county Galway


Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭ ratracer


    tamara25 wrote: »
    Thinking of getting this in our home. Our water is very hard & has lots of limescale. Heard of a company called the water filtermen, has anyone dealt with them? What company would you recommend? I’m in county Galway

    Never heard of that company, but I’ve had a water treatment system installed by Uisce Deas, and also had an RO system installed by Hugh Ryan and would highly recommend either of them, Hugh in particular.


  • Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭ Count Mondego


    ratracer wrote: »
    Never heard of that company, but I’ve had a water treatment system installed by Uisce Deas, and also had an RO system installed by Hugh Ryan and would highly recommend either of them, Hugh in particular.

    Hugh is an absolute gentleman and I'd highly recommend him. He installed a water softener and RO for me in the past year.

    OP, you'll probably need both of them, circa 1200-1500 quid.


  • Registered Users Posts: 9,993 ✭✭✭ DaCor


    Never heard of the company you are referring to.

    You're going to need both, water softener and RO system. Get them installed at the same time for least amount of faffing about. If you have a fancy fridge with a water tap and ice maker, get them to hook that up to your RO system too, best decision I made for my water.

    Depending on your water usage you'll spend anything up to 2.5k but you'll need to get your water and requirements assessed to match the system to your needs.

    The lads I used years ago are galwaywater.ie but it was over 10 years ago so couldn't tell you names of people. Just have to buy a few bags of salt each year and change out the ro filters once every 18 months.

    They will come back after 12 months to take out the first set of RO filters and cut them open to look at what has been filtered out. They will then advise the rate at which you need to change your RO filters, so if your water is poor, it might be every 12 months, if its great, every 24 months.


  • Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭ tamara25


    To be honest I couldn’t afford that amount of money. If it was just one down payment to get ro system installed that would be easier but most companies all charge extra for changing filters, servicing etc. I have also since been looking at a water distiller that would be on the kitchen counter. Amazon U.K. stocks them & also juicers.ie


  • Registered Users Posts: 9,993 ✭✭✭ DaCor


    tamara25 wrote: »
    To be honest I couldn’t afford that amount of money. If it was just one down payment to get ro system installed that would be easier but most companies all charge extra for changing filters, servicing etc. I have also since been looking at a water distiller that would be on the kitchen counter. Amazon U.K. stocks them & also juicers.ie

    With this it really does come down to you get what you pay for.

    Getting an ro system without a water softener is a complete waste of money if you have an issue with hard water. Your ro system will not be able to soften your water, that's not what that system is for and the hardness will make bits of it over time.

    My advice, contact the guys above, get a free consultation and just save up. It's what I did at the time.

    Also, regarding servicing, this is optional and you can buy the filters yourself to save yourself a few quid but per my last post I'd recommend getting at least the first year service to see how often you need to change the filters on the ro system.


  • Advertisement
Advertisement