Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supporting shelf for Integrated Fridge Freezer

Options
  • 09-09-2020 11:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭

I think I might need to replace the shelf that supports the bottom of my integrated fridge freezer. It seems to be 57cm wide. I don't know the depth and I wouldn't have the know-how to take out the fridge that is already there.

A lot of water was gathering at the bottom of the fridge (I hadn't realised that if you unclog the small hole it would sort it.) However, I suspect that over a few months the bottom shelf may be sagging due to this water because the Fridge door will not stay closed. Unless of course the hinges require replacing.

If I need to buy a new fridge that's ok but I don't want to spend money, have the installer arrive and realise the fridge can't go in until I have replaced this supporting shelf.

Any help appreciated, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,322 ✭✭✭✭ted1

forumdedum wrote: »
    I think I might need to replace the shelf that supports the bottom of my integrated fridge freezer. It seems to be 57cm wide. I don't know the depth and I wouldn't have the know-how to take out the fridge that is already there.

A lot of water was gathering at the bottom of the fridge (I hadn't realised that if you unclog the small hole it would sort it.) However, I suspect that over a few months the bottom shelf may be sagging due to this water because the Fridge door will not stay closed. Unless of course the hinges require replacing.

If I need to buy a new fridge that's ok but I don't want to spend money, have the installer arrive and realise the fridge can't go in until I have replaced this supporting shelf.

Any help appreciated, thanks.

You may need to realign the hinges. Over time they can slip unscrew the screws rust connect the exterior door to the Fridge door and see if it closes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭forumdedum

ted1 wrote: »
    You may need to realign the hinges. Over time they can slip unscrew the screws rust connect the exterior door to the Fridge door and see if it closes

I don't have a screwdriver that works for the screws here. What type should I buy?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

That 'shelf' is likely to be the base of the cabinet which means it will be fixed into the appliance cabinet gables with screws/cam & dowel. It's going to be a complete pain in the ass to get it out without taking the entire cabinet out & disassembling it. That in itself will be an even bigger pain in the ass if the cabinet has plant on gables either side.

I'd leave that option as Plan Z if you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,390 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Might be easier to take the plinth off and jack up and support the old base from underneath.

The weight of the fridge is near the sides usually.

Graham wrote: »
    That 'shelf' is likely to be the base of the cabinet which means it will be fixed into the appliance cabinet gables with screws/cam & dowel. It's going to be a complete pain in the ass to get it out without taking the entire cabinet out & disassembling it. That in itself will be an even bigger pain in the ass if the cabinet has plant on gables either side.

I'd leave that option as Plan Z if you can.

I enquired at a store about buying a new fridge. Told them that the base may need replacing. They would not do this as part of the service. They claim to install for €50 which is ok with me but why not include a new plinth?

None of this sounds like a job I'm capable of.

• Advertisement

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Might be easier to take the plinth off and jack up and support the old base from underneath.

The weight of the fridge is near the sides usually.

That's a very good idea.

forumdedum wrote: »
    I enquired at a store about buying a new fridge. Told them that the base may need replacing. They would not do this as part of the service. They claim to install for €50 which is ok with me but why not include a new plinth?

None of this sounds like a job I'm capable of.

That would be a kitchen fitter job.

try colin_mcm's suggestion first.

Remove plinth, slide a couple of standard cabinet legs underneath the cabinet and twist them to raise them up until they're supporting everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,322 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Graham wrote: »
    That would be a kitchen fitter job.

try colin_mcm's suggestion first.

Remove plinth, slide a couple of standard cabinet legs underneath the cabinet and twist them to raise them up until they're supporting everything.

By plinth you mean Kick board ?

Op Can you post photos?

ted1 wrote: »
    By plinth you mean Kick board ?

Yes

Plinth / kick board / kicker

To clarify about the legs, they're height adjustable. They can be reduced in height to slide in easily, then twisted to raise the height back up until they're supporting the cabinet base.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,390 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

No harm in putting a length of timber between the chipboard and the legs too. If the board is wet it might deform.

I’ve lifted these with a scissors jack for the car before. If you can’t get a cabinet leg, just cut a block of timber to size.

• Advertisement
Advertisement