Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shampoo for red coloured hair

Options
  • 09-09-2020 9:06am
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Any recommendations on how to make my new auburn/copper hair last? I will probably stick with my current conditioner as it works really well for my hair and says it's colour safe, but need to get some shampoo. Don't mind spending a bit of money if it'll help extend the colour, though I know reds are notorious for fading.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭hayoc

I mix some colour bomb into my conditioner and it helps lots. I also wash my hair as little as possible. Usually twice a week but I try to only use conditioner one of those times.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,524 ✭✭✭Hoboo

If you're in an area with hardwater, wash in bottled water. Or last rinse in bottled water at the very least.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

hayoc wrote: »
    I mix some colour bomb into my conditioner and it helps lots. I also wash my hair as little as possible. Usually twice a week but I try to only use conditioner one of those times.

Where do you get the colour bomb?

Twee. wrote: »
    Where do you get the colour bomb?

I buy it online, usually ebay.

This is the one I get:

https://www.thehairandbeautycompany.ie/product/revlon-nutri-color-creme-600-fire-red-270ml/

I squirt about 20 squirts into an almost new conditioner (use it once to create some space) and shake it up.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

When my hair was red, I used that fire red colour Creme and also the light copper one.

I also used this as a more day-to-day shampoo: Revlon Professional 45 Days Brave Reds Conditioning Shampoo 275 ml https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07791Z8BG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_MRmwFbKGHB9JV

It’s hard to maintain a red shade though! I found the fire red colour bomb was definitely more of a true red and the copper one was more orange. Maintaining a gingery shade was tricky so I was constantly alternating between different products.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 mandas

I heard that Shu Uemura Color Lustre Shampoo is very suitable for red hair. But I am not sure if it really works. Or you may check the color lock shampoo?

Thanks for all the recs! I got the colour bomb in 740 copper and also Tigi Colour Goddess shampoo & conditioner which had good reviews for reds and coppers.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

DRY SHAMPOO it lets you wash it the least.

Red hair dye doesn't penetrate the hair as well no matter what developer you use. The molecules are bigger. So it just washes out with time.

I was red once ...harder to keep than blonde and i used all the color depositing conditioners and wash ins.

Its a weird colour ..its the easiest to fade ..but the hardest to get rid of at the same time :(

It fades to a muddy brassy colour like within a few washes but then will take FOREVER to totally get rid of ...it can keep showing up after you dye it a diff color as brassy.

I was done with it ..the struggle was too real.

There are colour washes you can get in red ...I've heard ...emphasizing heard here ..not used ..that Viral is a good product .. https://www.amazon.com/Viral-Extreme-Red-Color-Wash/dp/B01J6JUQ5E/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&qid=1498675812&sr=8-1&keywords=viral+extreme+red&linkCode=sl1&tag=xsparkage0a-20&linkId=d283fdee68673f50137ca1e1e37dba7e

Although I don't know WHAT shade of red you are ..so this could potentially stain if you are lighter.

Maybe best ask your stylist.
    Also using only cold water. Hot water opens up the cuticle. So they say.

I have to be honest here though. I could never find a way to keep red. So i am suspicious of products or people that say it works. I have never tried that viral product i have just heard about it on a youtube chanel. But she could be paid to say that.

Honestly i don't think anything keeps red in.

Honestly i don't think anything keeps red in.

Ive been red for about 25 years (short break of about 2 years where I went black - now THAT was hard to get rid of!!).

Ive only ever used semi permanent and I wash my hair as little as possible, use colour bomb in conditioner and re dye it every 3-4 weeks (although I have gone as long as 2 months). Hard to get a good bright shade in semi permanent - over the years ones Ive used have disappeared. I buy online now.

Its very hard work to keep it vibrantly red, and probably depends on your own underlying colour too. I think it works for me because the shade I use is close in tone to my own hair colour (brown but with reddish tones). So I never have visible roots, because there isnt a stark line where the colour change is too noticable (Ive very little gray) and because the red fades quickly so you never get a point where youe got vibrant meeting non vibrant in an obvious way.

My biggest issue is that over time I get build up of dye and the ends of my hair are invariably darker than my roots - I have tried dying roots only but I never manage it well). So my most vibrant time is immediately after a haircut (I usually time a dye for immediately after a haircut).

Having curly hair covers a lot of sins though.

I used the colour bomb this week and it definitely revitalised the small bit of fade that set in. My natural hair is strawberry blonde but I had highlights before, so the fade on the highlighted hair is adding some nice texture to the colour. The last time I was this red I was a student so didn't keep up with it, the budget didn't allow! Pic attached of the colour on the day, I have to say I really love it!

• Advertisement

I used the colour bomb this week and it definitely revitalised the small bit of fade that set in. My natural hair is strawberry blonde but I had highlights before, so the fade on the highlighted hair is adding some nice texture to the colour. The last time I was this red I was a student so didn't keep up with it, the budget didn't allow! Pic attached of the colour on the day, I have to say I really love it!

Looks great!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Its looks lovely! :p

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

Love the colour!
    I got rose gold balayage in my hair on Friday - my hairdresser mixed some of the toner used in my hair into a conditioner for me - so next time you go back to yours, ask if they can do something similar. She said my hair will fade, and try to not wash it every day, and hopefully leaving the conditioner mask in for 5 mins in the shower will help ease the fade slightly.

Advertisement