Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Block traffic noise

Options
  • 09-09-2020 8:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭

If my mother wakes up early she finds it very difficult to get back to sleep because of the noise of traffic outside.

I’m very certain that when the windows were installed there was a massive reduction in the noise but it can feel there is no window all. I know that sounds mad because it couldn’t have changed over the years.

Anyway it is highly unlikely that my father will spring for a new sound proof window do I’m looking for alternatives.

All I’ve found so far is noise reducing curtains and I’m just wondering if any one here can tell how effective the are. I don’t understand how they work though.

And does anyone have other solutions?

There is very little difference between having the window open or closed. The box room is next to the bedroom and the mouse is the same. The front downstairs gets much less noise. Could there be a defect somewhere.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭TuringBot47

Cheapest solution is your mother wears ear plugs.

Air vents can let in a lot of external noise too, but you don't really want to block them up. Would be nice if there were some sound proofed sliding door for air vents, rather than those cheap white plastic covers.

Longer term solution of planting trees / hedges to absorb the sound possibly isn't feasible in most cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Idioteque

Sometimes the rubber seals come loose or wear over time and the even the smallest gap can allow a lot of noise through.

Worth checking the seals as it’s a cheap fix.

On a windy day put your hand around the window and see if you can feel any air. Alternative is to hold a small flame near the window also.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Psychiatric Patrick

Cheapest solution is your mother wears ear plugs.

Air vents can let in a lot of external noise too, but you don't really want to block them up. Would be nice if there were some sound proofed sliding door for air vents, rather than those cheap white plastic covers.

Longer term solution of planting trees / hedges to absorb the sound possibly isn't feasible in most cases.

Ear plugs are not an option.

I didn’t think of the air vent but the noise through the window is loud that we’d have to brick up the window to be able hear what is coming through the vents.:p

Cheers

Secondary glazing can be good.

Idioteque wrote: »
    Sometimes the rubber seals come loose or wear over time and the even the smallest gap can allow a lot of noise through.

Worth checking the seals as it’s a cheap fix.

On a windy day put your hand around the window and see if you can feel any air. Alternative is to hold a small flame near the window also.

Had plenty of windy days recently but I’m willing to bet the weather gets nicer just out of spite :p

It would be great if it is rubber seals.

Thanks.

• Advertisement

Secondary glazing can be good.

I’m pretty sure the are double glazed but do you mean add more to the window or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭rob w

We just moved into a house with double glazed PVC windows which are 15 years old. We were driven mad by the noise from outside - traffic is not an issue for us but lots of pedestrians, and you could almost hear peoples conversations word for word - from 20 metres away, through closed windows!

In the end we got a window repair company out to look at them. it turned out that the windows hinges had sagged a bit over time under the weight of the window and were not closing tightly on the seal at the top - hence the sound coming through. Hinges replaced, very quick job and not too dear, think it was 80e per window. The difference is amazing, cant hear anything when people are walking past now!

Most the window repair crowds will come out and give you a free quote for any work to be done.

rob w wrote: »
    We just moved into a house with double glazed PVC windows which are 15 years old. We were driven mad by the noise from outside - traffic is not an issue for us but lots of pedestrians, and you could almost hear peoples conversations word for word - from 20 metres away, through closed windows!

In the end we got a window repair company out to look at them. it turned out that the windows hinges had sagged a bit over time under the weight of the window and were not closing tightly on the seal at the top - hence the sound coming through. Hinges replaced, very quick job and not too dear, think it was 80e per window. The difference is amazing, cant hear anything when people are walking past now!

Most the window repair crowds will come out and give you a free quote for any work to be done.

From the box room I can a lot of what people say when they walking passed and often people stop at the corner to chat. I've had to go out a night and tell them they are too loud. :rolleyes:

I thought it was they shout but maybe they are not.:P

If it was up to me I'd have someone here today but father is a difficult person. I suggested it denies it is seals or hinges but he shot that down because I said it - "only thing for it is triple glazing" he says but I don't know if means he is going to get triple glazing or means nothing will be done.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭rob w

From the box I can a lot of what people say when they walking passed and often people stop at the corner to chat. I've had to go out a night and tell them they are too loud. :rolleyes:

I thought it was they shout but maybe they are not.:P

If it was up to me I'd have someone here today but father is a difficult person. I suggested it denies it is seals or hinges but he shot that down because I said it - "only thing for it is triple glazing" he says but I don't know if means he is going to get triple glazing or means nothing will be done.:rolleyes:

It was the same here, it seemed as though people were being overly loud outside - but if you went out they were just talking normally!! Whatever way the sound came in it seemed amplified.

Youll have to get someone in once your dad is out of the house for the day! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

Might she move into a back bedroom - its usually less traffic facing. Downstairs rear would be better again.

Unfortunately older people have odder and odder sleep patterns, and we long for a teenager's love for the leaba.

• Advertisement

rob w wrote: »
    It was the same here, it seemed as though people were being overly loud outside - but if you went out they were just talking normally!! Whatever way the sound came in it seemed amplified.

Youll have to get someone in once your dad is out of the house for the day! :P

He was usually out all day until the lockdown.

Nowadays he goes out on Sundays when he and my mother go my sister down th road. They are out for the day on Saturday though. It would get in the way of stuff I need to do myself but I might see I can get someone in.

My niece will be here later and she can claim the same noise issue and find out if he is actually getting triple glazing. The kind he is - if I bring up the subject again then he will never do it.

tenor.gif

Roadtoad wrote: »
    Might she move into a back bedroom - its usually less traffic facing. Downstairs rear would be better again.

Unfortunately older people have odder and odder sleep patterns, and we long for a teenager's love for the leaba.

Not an option I'm afraid.

Parent have separate rooms and she would thank forever to settle with a move. They back bedroom is too small for her fancy bed which she loves.

Mam sleeps fine and the only thing that wakes her is the need for wee usually after dawn. The blackout blinds helped her go back to sleep bt at some stage she needed to see out the window that "no one is out" before she goes back herself.

If the father gets up he is cranky about it which disrupts her more. This has somehow lead to her taking more notice of the noise.

The old man turns the small details like this into difficulties but ignores the important stuff.

I’m pretty sure the are double glazed but do you mean add more to the window or something?

Secondary glazing is another window added about 3 or 4 inches from the existing window. Its fairly effective I've been told.

Did not know this was a thing.

I'll look it up.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Weyhey

Both my other half and I have been wondering if the windows are open lately as the noise from the traffic is getting to us. I think part of it is we got used to the very low level of traffic during the worst of the lockdown and now traffic seems worse than before. It's really getting to me. I can't do ear plugs.

Personally I would prefer to move to a quieter road but other half is happy here and once asleep other half stays asleep for the night.

Weyhey wrote: »
    Both my other half and I have been wondering if the windows are open lately as the noise from the traffic is getting to us. I think part of it is we got used to the very low level of traffic during the worst of the lockdown and now traffic seems worse than before. It's really getting to me. I can't do ear plugs.

Personally I would prefer to move to a quieter road but other half is happy here and once asleep other half stays asleep for the night.
    That must be it for my mother too. I couldn't figure out why she was suddenly taking notice of cars and trucks - you are right they were not there during the lockdown

I'm only noticing traffic my self since she mentioned it the other day. And I was used no loud talkers being out.

Advertisement