Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Washing line pole in concrete

Options
  • 08-09-2020 10:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,687 ✭✭✭

Washing line in the back garden has come up. The pole is in concrete already and come up from the grass.It's a steel pole

Now I have to try to fix it. So was going to dig square hole around it and as deep as concrete around the pole. So dig it deep add water and then rapid set concrete. Put the pole in, keeping current concrete and let it set.

This is the easiest option as I'm not a DIY'r. Other option is to remove set concrete around pole. Then put in pole holding it until set

So any recommendations what's best way

Pictures below

https://photos.app.goo.gl/zPGeVXo4K2LDeEDX6

https://photos.app.goo.gl/9SGhY7MjKkLRw6mV9

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

Wider pipe than your washing line pole dig 18" deep put wider pole or pipe in hole fill with quick set post cement check that it's positioned correctly when hard drop pole in concreted in pipe. The poles may rust and snap the hole will be unobtrusive and allow you to change and remove poles as required.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

dig a big hole and fill it with concrete around the concrete thats there. if the old concrete is crap then break it off, if its good then leave it attached. use proper concrete not that rapid set rubbish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Never just set a pole you may need to move in concrete - if you are going to use concrete as a base, put in a collar for the pole to slip in and out of

Something like this

94443d534f3896d4113272d4b52096e8.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,687 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Never just set a pole you may need to move in concrete - if you are going to use concrete as a base, put in a collar for the pole to slip in and out of

Something like this

94443d534f3896d4113272d4b52096e8.jpg

This is what I was looking at. So remove concrete currently connected to pole if possible. Then put collar into the ground and surround that with the cement (not the quick drying type)

Where can I get such a collar and how long should it be

Removing existing concrete be the difficult bit as set right in. How's best to remove this?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Daqu1234

Remove the existing concrete, place a 4 inch piece of wavin pipein the centre of the hole, screw a few small screws into the wavin pipe below where the concrete will be and leave the screws protruding , pour in your concrete, the screws will stop the pipe from turning and coming free, just pop your washing line pole into the wavin pipe when you using the washing line otherwise remove if you wish.

• Advertisement

Daqu1234 wrote: »
    Remove the existing concrete, place a 4 inch piece of wavin pipein the centre of the hole, screw a few small screws into the wavin pipe below where the concrete will be and leave the screws protruding , pour in your concrete, the screws will stop the pipe from turning and coming free, just pop your washing line pole into the wavin pipe when you using the washing line otherwise remove if you wish.

Cheers its not a rotary washing line. I've pole at one end of garden and washing line attached to the wall of the house.

So pick up some wavin pipe and some screws. Put the screws into the wavin pipe leaving them sticking out. How many and what size screws? Yeah I need a dummies guide :-(

Also is the rapid set cement worth it for small job like this as don't want to leave it for ages to dry.

Also what is the best /easiest way to get the existing concrete off the pole?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 31,013 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

You have a giant lever being yanked by wind and weight.

Dig deeper or else the new setup will fail the same as the old.

The solution depends on the tools you have. If you have a grinder then get some rebar into the new concrete.

Or else get a longer pole.

If there's not steel all the way down then the concrete may fail.

This is all about the length you have underground.

Alternatively add a stay to the opposite side and you won't need so much concrete and steel.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,645 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Just as an aside

I've never once seen a washing pole moved . Ever. Not once. The importance of a pole inside a pole is being heavily overstated here.

We moved in to house and line was there but recently it's uprooted. Line is hanging but still workable.

So now getting around to sorting it out. So don't have tools to remove the existing concrete attached to the pole. So plan was dig square hole big enough to put pole and existing concrete into cement. This seemed to be the easiest option but would it last. Not hanging concrete on the line just something to keep the washing line up.

Waven pipe be a good option but no tools to remove concrete Also bits about rebar in concrete is that overkill

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

listermint wrote: »
    Just as an aside

I've never once seen a washing pole moved . Ever. Not once. The importance of a pole inside a pole is being heavily overstated here.

Definitely not the usual way but its handy in some cases . If done it twice but that was so you could get machinery in around a house if needed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,645 ✭✭✭✭listermint

We moved in to house and line was there but recently it's uprooted. Line is hanging but still workable.

So now getting around to sorting it out. So don't have tools to remove the existing concrete attached to the pole. So plan was dig square hole big enough to put pole and existing concrete into cement. This seemed to be the easiest option but would it last. Not hanging concrete on the line just something to keep the washing line up.

Waven pipe be a good option but no tools to remove concrete Also bits about rebar in concrete is that overkill

Dig a deeper hole hit some rebar into the soil below up to surface level. Throw your pole back in the middle and put new concrete in around.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,013 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

The reason I suggested rebar is that concrete is crap in tension, so it's asking for trouble creating a cylinder of it without any reinforcement, particularly if you're reusing the existing blob stuck to the pole.

Since rebar is so cheap it's practically free, I can't see any reason to avoid it, unless you don't have any way of cutting it, but everyone should own a grinder. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,080 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Maybe I am misunderstanding this, but with both rebar and wavin pipe you have a lot of waggle room? The washing line would not stand upright?

I have to do this myself at some stage soon. I have done the metal sleeve thing previously but if its snug enough to hold the washing line post it jams in place as soon as a bit of dirt/water gets in and you are back to a solid metal yoke in a lump of concrete. It really isn't that big a deal to do the 'plant it in a lump of concrete' thing, though disposing of the old lump of concrete when it eventually has to be replaced because the line is banjaxed is another issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Up Donegal

Make sure the hole is dug the same length and breadth from ground level to the bottom. That way, the pole will withstand more wind and other forces than it would if the hole was shaped like an inverted cone, as post holes are sometimes dug.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Stigura

Lumen wrote: »
    everyone should own a grinder. :)

Au contraire! Grinders are So 'last week'. Everyone (else) should own a Reciprocating saw! :D

Seriously; Used mine on mild steel I'd previously used a grinder on? Saw, every time, now!

Here is my dilemma

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Z67qLDGan7oqz8Hk7

Just have to get around to dig hole around it

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭mr_cochise

A fella once said to me when we were digging a hole for a post and concrete that the concrete was only as good as the ground around it.
    Dig the hole deep and square with an even and sound base.
    When you put the post in it make sure it is plumb ( perfectly straight) and support it if necessary until the concrete has set.

Any soft ground or uneven base will only allow the solid concrete to move around and eventually work itself loose again.

To Dig or not to Dig that is the question

Ok so the bigger the hole the better it would be but depending on the soil around it

Plan is to dig deep enough and in square. Then put the concrete in. Then put the pole in, with existing concrete already attached to it. Wait for it to set

So just need something to support the pole while cement dries? Quick dry cement not the best option?

So dont want to be like sandwich sing board guys holding it so just put bricks around it to support it and not done while its raining, although its Ireland so thats limiting the days

Ok update

Never got around to this but now the pole is well and truely uprooted and the concrete is stuck to the end of it and now a low low washing line you would need to limbo dance under it

So as no Grinder or other tool to remove the existing cement around pole is best bet to dig deeper hole square it up and then put the pole(with existing cement) into this. Then pour in the cement and wait for it to set?

Any quick dry cement or what can I use to keep the pole upright while cement sets?

All tips welcomed

Advertisement