Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outrageous message

Options
  • 08-09-2020 10:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭

In work we have Facebook messenger group. 2 days ago, one of the staff went on rant about her health condition and why she was allowed not to wear uniform and that was said to be cleared by regional manager. And that how dare we complain. There was alot of f words used and alot of language nobody would dream of using in work situation.
    My problem now is, our store has no manager. We have acting manager that seen message.
    Didn't ask to take it down and did not address situation on staff level.
    It was Sunday night after 10 pm. And I couldn't sleep all night wondering about what is work going to be like the next day when I open up with said person.
    Nearly all of us left messaging group, not because of particular person but because of lack of management's input and resolution to situation that now is mine field.
    I'm wondering, would it be managers job to ask people remove such messages especially because it was nothing to do with work..
    Or am I battling Loosing game?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

I think you need to work on what bothers you. I don't mean that in a flippant way, resilience is something I've had to work on myself.

It doesn't sound like an official group or company social media so the manager has no duty to control what's posted in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

There should be strict rules about work whatsapp groups.

We have two - a managerial group and a staff group. Every month a message is put out reminding members that it's an official group and same standards apply as would apply in a meeting room.
    No personal chat, no profanity and no negativity.

Once the rules are applied, it's a great addition to the workplace

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Put it down to a culture clash.
    If you're uncomfortable with your colleague's behaviour, complain.
    If you don't complain you have no business criticising management's response.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,276 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Why are you still concerned about this?

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭mea_k

Danzy wrote: »
    Why are you still concerned about this?

Because it was emplied all of us have made official complaint, and even if we would have had there was no way she should have been told who had complained.
    It's now causing witch hub in work situation. To find out who exactly complained.. It wasn't me and its very hurtful to be called f words by staff I worked with 10+ years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,822 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Who set up the group ? Staff or managers?

If it’s just an intra staff communication tool set up by and for line staff for stuff like looking for shîft swaps, debating the merits of xx manager, a joke or two then... she likely to be untouchable.

IF a manager / supervisor set it up and are listed as having done so, or listed as an administrator or whatever the terminology is on Facebook, it would surely be coming under gross misconduct for her to say those things, be the same or should be the same repercussions if she sent the comments on company email or workphone WhatsApp / SMS.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Danni21

mea_k wrote: »
    In work we have Facebook messenger group. 2 days ago, one of the staff went on rant about her health condition and why she was allowed not to wear uniform and that was said to be cleared by regional manager. And that how dare we complain. There was alot of f words used and alot of language nobody would dream of using in work situation.
    My problem now is, our store has no manager. We have acting manager that seen message.
    Didn't ask to take it down and did not address situation on staff level.
    It was Sunday night after 10 pm. And I couldn't sleep all night wondering about what is work going to be like the next day when I open up with said person.
    Nearly all of us left messaging group, not because of particular person but because of lack of management's input and resolution to situation that now is mine field.
    I'm wondering, would it be managers job to ask people remove such messages especially because it was nothing to do with work..

Why would you be gossiping and complaining about a staff member not being made wear a uniform on medical grounds in the first place. Sounds like a toxic environment to begin with.

Was she swearing at you directly? No excuse for shouting profanities in the workplace but is that what actually happened?

Sounds to be like she got wind of whats happening and lost it. TBH if my colleagues felt entitled to challenge me on a legit medical condition which is none of their business I don't think I'd respond kindly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

If you're not the acting manager then it is has nothing to do with you.

Just focus on your work and if you're rostered to work with this person just make sure all tasks are properly allocated and completed between the 2 of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,949 ✭✭✭3DataModem

That seems like the right outcome. Don't join any more work messaging groups until some sort of rules/protocol is shared and agreed to by all participants.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Meeoow

I'm on 4 different work WhatsApp groups. The main one has been hijacked by stupid jokes and football crap talk. I muted it, and check in every so often. If someone had a meltdown on it, I'd ignore it and let them get it out of their system. I've my own problems, without sticking my beak into other peoples business.

• Advertisement

If it was set up officially by the company, then all members would be subject to normal work rules of communication- just because it’s on Facebook doesn’t mean it’s automatically excluded from company policy- Facebook is just a digital communication channel, like Skype or Outlook. If it’s just a bunch of people from work who set up this group to keep in touch, then there would be less rules but beware, For derogatory or abusive messages anyone can screenshot messages and send them on to company management- that could well mean hot water for that person, regardless of whether it’s a private group or otherwise.

Members were wise to leave the group. I’d recommend you do the same- I’ve seen some dodgy WhatsApp posts on “private” workgroups in the past and I’ve never replied to them- you don’t know who might forward them on. Once something’s written down and sent you’ve no control where it will end up.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,025 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Unless the op confirms it is an official group chat set up by the employer, this isn’t much more than the usual rant/gossiping that occurs online, the op can just leave the group.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,822 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Exactly, words can disappear on the breeze but what’s typed or written can often and does often find its way to an unintended destination, I’d urge care, leave the group.... better ways to communicate.

If it’s set up by the employer I’m still leaving it... employer wants off site and out of hours communications between employees and themselves ? That means employees are ‘on call’... bet they aren’t paid to be.

Advertisement