Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attic insulation cost?

Options
  • 08-09-2020 8:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭

Hi all, what's the standard cost of insulation in attic for a 3 bed semi?

I see there is grants and electricity providers (energia) even seem to do it. Is that a good option?

House is early 80's and is a bit cold in winter. Just looks like thin layer of insulation at the moment so i guess needs to be topped up. Wondering what range of quotes i would be looking at before pricing around. Also appreciate any recommendation in Kildare.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Anaki r2d2

For a 3 bed semi i think i would just do it myself. 300 mm of rolled insulation. Youtube has lots of videos on this including woodies

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

jaffa20 wrote: »
    Hi all, what's the standard cost of insulation in attic for a 3 bed semi?

I see there is grants and electricity providers (energia) even seem to do it. Is that a good option?

House is early 80's and is a bit cold in winter. Just looks like thin layer of insulation at the moment so i guess needs to be topped up. Wondering what range of quotes i would be looking at before pricing around. Also appreciate any recommendation in Kildare.
    Thanks

Churchfield home services.
    Paid around 1400. Incl 450 grant

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Hmm 1400. Maybe i will have a go myself after some research. I materials won't cost too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,512 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

there is a lot more to it that just roling out some fiberglass.
    allthe pipe work insulated, tanks insulated, make sure heat can keep tanks from freezing, walk ways, ventilation, around downlighters etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

jaffa20 wrote: »
    Hmm 1400. Maybe i will have a go myself after some research. I materials won't cost too much.

That included 6m2 flooring. But yes its not just a few rolls of rockwool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,782 ✭✭✭KungPao

I did it myself last year. Just bought around 9 (maybe 12) rolls from B&Q, they had a 3 for 2 offer. Topped up the existing 100mm with cross joist rolls of 200mm.

Yeah you do need to watch out for soffit vents, cables (try to keep cable to electric shower uncovered if you have one), etc, but anyone reasonably handy can do it. Just watch a few vids, and pace yourself.

It is a horrible, sweaty, dusty job though. It was a mild day and I up there with long sleeves, mask, gloves, mineral wool everywhere - dripping with sweat. Nasty. My attic is low though, which made things worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,512 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

get ecoze earthwool if you can, its well worth it if your doing it yourself. it doesnt itch as much and you wont hate the job . isoover or rockwool make s a bad job into a horrible job.

Try build 4 less.ie

Last year they had the best deals.
    B&q rolls look the same price but can be a few sqm smaller than the builders ones.
    I've a load to do myself next week

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Debub

does anyone recommend the foam spray insulation?

Advertisement