Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boiler Help for Elderly Parents

Options
  • 08-09-2020 2:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi All,

Sorry if this is the wrong place but feel free to move if it is. Trying to help my elderly parents with a new boiler and I haven't much of a clue. Our current boiler was serviced by Bord Gais and the technician said it will have to be replaced sooner rather than later

We got two quotes for a new Bosch Greenstar i 18kw. I have two questions, will this boiler be good enough for the below specs of the house? or is there another one that would be better/more efficient/cheaper, also the two quotes we have got; one is €3,300 the other is €3,800 this includes new machine + installation, heating controls (€700), flushing. Are these the going rate at the moment? or is it high/low

House Specs: Built 2007, 4-bed semi detached, 13 radiators + 1 heated towel rack, 5 sinks, 4 toilets, 2 showers, 1 bath. Based down in the Mid-West.

Any insight on the above would be much appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

had logic 24kwh, for 2100e done proffesioanly last year, inc magna flow system , replaced switches, immersion switch added,new valves of rads, hive setup and ber cert with grant sorted by company themselves.

So def worth shopping around, but theres few factors that influence price boiler brand does add to cost, season play role, as many churn their heating on so more work in general come autumn, then say summer. anyhow read reviews most decent companies will have good reflection from customers on likes of google reviews.
    warranty is tricky, some require to yearly service with them so you sort of have to choose if you wanna throw 100-130 away for a service specially once its new. professional installation is major part- between tuning any boiler and system in well, or half arsed job that results in complications down the road, as major cost is installation aside boiler which does wary a lot from pros to cowboys.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,732 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

2100 for a new boiler install with heating controls is the price of cowboys, if that’s what was done.

3,300-3,800 for the Bosch boiler mentioned is about right op

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

I got that boiler including 1 new rad and power flush for 2,700 in north Kildare. Used a relatively large Dublin company. I didn’t go with the heating controls as I’m happy to have a couple of hours morning and evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭hurleronditch

We had a new Glowworm 24kw Combi, with nest system attached, for 3800 in Dublin about 4 months ago. Done by a large reputable firm. Would a combi suit them better not needing to wait for hot water to heat in the tank etc?

We had a new Glowworm 24kw Combi, with nest system attached, for 3800 in Dublin about 4 months ago. Done by a large reputable firm. Would a combi suit them better not needing to wait for hot water to heat in the tank etc?

Combis have a use but have different characteristics to stored hot water, these differences can cause problems and frustrations at times which have left some people upset at changing there boiler, also a cylinder has a immersion which is a hot water back up, you do not have this with a combi unless a electric shower is available.

• Advertisement
Advertisement