Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carried forward of CGT losses

Options
  • 08-09-2020 2:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭

I did a search on this but couldn't find a similar situation. I have a CGT bill coming up later this year and am looking to offset what I can. I had two previous capital losses on investments in the last 10 years (20k + 5k) however I never filled in any forms naively (as I had no gains).

Can these be used? Is there any retrospective submission of the losses possible?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

naively or not, you are obliged to file a return when you dispose of an asset.
    You only have a 4 year look back

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

What's your statutory basis for this? You really shouldn't comment on things if you don't actually know the answer. In this case you could cost someone more than 8k in tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

OP, you are entitled to claim for losses from earlier years carrying forward, which will reduce the amount of the current year's gain that is subject to tax.

You will, however, need to be able to evidence your losses and that they have been correctly carried forward (by this I don't mean anything to do with tax returns, I mean you need to confirm that there were no gains in the intervening years against which these losses ought to have already been deducted).

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭dubstepper

Thanks for the response. Are you sure as the below may differ?

OP, you are entitled to claim for losses from earlier years carrying forward, which will reduce the amount of the current year's gain that is subject to tax.

I would have evidence of the loss but I never filed a CGT return at the time (as it was a loss). Does that exclude them?

Advertisement