Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving apartment to niece and nephew

Options
  • 08-09-2020 12:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hi

I am due to marry my girlfriend next May and we know that we would have to update our Wills individually. We're financially independent and have own property each.

I currently live in my girlfriend's apartment for five years and we plan to stay there in the future. I advised that I would like to continue to live in the apartment should she die before me which she wants me to though we were questioning one thing.

In my girlfriend's will she wishes to continue to give her apartment to her niece and nephew after she dies. If she dies before me what would this mean? Would I be forced out of the apartment knowing that the niece and nephew would be subjected to CAT? Or if staying on in the apartment until my death, would their taxes be higher as I would not be "blood" related to them?

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,090 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Couple of variables here. Do you plan to marry or have children? That would legally change the picture.

If no to any of the above there should be some sort of legal document drawn up allowing you to remain there for the rest of your life should she die before you.

Your question might be better in the legal forum

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭niallb

I don't know how this popped up - I thought it was a current question and had a bit of input based on a friend's experience.

Sorry for digging up a three year old thread

Ignore me and move on!

Advertisement