Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extractor hood

Options
  • 08-09-2020 10:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hello,

We are going to install an extractor hood here above the cooker. There was an extractor fan previously in place so we want to use this hole to pipe externally. We are trying to figure out the best way of doing a tidy job on it, without drilling or cutting another track into the wall.

Does anyone know of any extractor hoods that have a side vent? The hood is going to overlap the hole left by extractor fan and we could just pipe directly from the side, if we found a hood that allowed for that. I've had no joy finding one in my research thus far.

Failing that, we are going to pipe from the top straight into the hole as tidy as we can. For the finish around the hole, would anyone have any suggestions on what we could do that might surround the pipe without looking awful? The existing hole is approx 7 inches and I gather the flexi pipe is 3/4 inch depending on the extractor hood we go for. We are going to be filling and painting elsewhere but I don't know if that would look great either way, so hoping there might be a better alternative.

Image attached (can't link properly because I am new!) https:// imgur.com/a/KquURuU

Thanks in advance for any advice on this!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,195 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

https://imgur.com/a/KquURuU

Are you reg compliant with timber that close to the hob?

Is that an active curtain rail over the hob?

The first thing to consider is how high above the hob the underside of the extractor should be and then punch a new hole.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 homeimprove106

Are you reg compliant with timber that close to the hob?

Is that an active curtain rail over the hob?

The first thing to consider is how high above the hob the underside of the extractor should be and then punch a new hole.

Hi,

Thanks for the response. Not sure about the regs, but it has been in situ for 10 years so we are taking it as fine. It's an active curtain rail, but the curtain won't go anywhere near the hob at full opening. Finally, we are avoiding punching a new hole; I'm aware the best job would be to do that but we want to try and find the tidiest way of finishing it without drilling anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭keithdub

A picture would be a lot of help

• Registered Users Posts: 23,268 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Most hoods these days come with charcoal filters that don’t need to vent externally

keithdub wrote: »
    A picture would be a lot of help

Link for picture (take out the space): https:// imgur.com/a/KquURuU

• Advertisement

ted1 wrote: »
    Most hoods these days come with charcoal filters that don’t need to vent externally

We have a hole already, we just want to find a tidy way to actually finish the piping (135mm) into a 7 inch hole, essentially, which is made more difficult because the hole isn't in the ideal place - might make more sense if you can see the picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

ted1 wrote: »

My experience of them is you still have all the steam and slightly less smelly air. I suppose okay if you have some other form of extraction, but otherwise a hole in the wall duct is your only man.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Idioteque

KungPao wrote: »
    My experience of them is you still have all the steam and slightly less smelly air. I suppose okay if you have some other form of extraction, but otherwise a hole in the wall duct is your only man.

Yeah agreed. I think the charcol is to reduce smells but you'll still have a problem with excess moisture unless you have some other way to purge. I've still found opening a window etc. is not as good as a properly vented cooker hood.

I have a hmuidity monitor in another room connected to our kitchen and the humidity still climbs a lot even with a window open beside cooker. I end up having to open other windows if it gets too high (need to swap out the charcol hood for a vented one at some stage!)

• Registered Users Posts: 31,010 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Idioteque wrote: »
    Yeah agreed. I think the charcol is to reduce smells but you'll still have a problem with excess moisture unless you have some other way to purge.
    A friend has a Siemens system which separates the water out into an overflow container and ducts the clear air out at the kickboards.

It seems to work great and better for an airtight house.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Idioteque

Lumen wrote: »
    A friend has a Siemens system which separates the water out into an overflow container and ducts the clear air out at the kickboards.

It seems to work great and better for an airtight house.

Interesting, i'd imagine it costs more than most people's cookers :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement