Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swimming in Dublin

Options
  • 07-09-2020 11:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,966 ✭✭✭

Hi

I've really let me son down - he's just about to turn 5 and can't really swim. No issue dunking his head under water etc but terrified of not being able to touch bottom.

We did turtle tots up to around 4 but never made much progress. Now with covid seems alot of pools shut down.

- any suggestions of pools that are open, preferably south Dublin?
    - any suggestions for one on one swimming classes?

Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

You shouldn't be too worried about it. I didn't learn how to swim until I was 11.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭toodelies

We took our son for lessons when he was 4 and eventually gave up after a year as he wasn’t ready for it and had started to dread going. At a family holiday where they had a pool when he was 7 he loved the pool and said he wanted to get lessons again. That was a year ago and he is flying along now. He goes to Loughlinstown pool. It’s great - good Covid procedures in place and small classes. You haven’t left your son down at all. If loughlinstown is suitable give them a ring. A friend of mine got her son in there last week when the pool they had told them they weren’t reopening for lessons for another few months

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

He’s 4 going on 5. Don’t worry too much about it. I sent my first son to lessons when he was just gone 4 and it Was the greatest waste of money ever for the first 18 months or so. I’d say he was at least 6 before I started seeing any bit of progress, and he had done water babies for a couple of years as a baby/toddler. Since he’s barely been in a pool the last 6 months we will probably be back to square one now :(. I’ve always said I wouldn’t start the rest of them until senior infants.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,966 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

That's very helpful, thank you everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Good-mum

We have lovely swimming lessons in Trackstart Dublin 2 Trinity Sports Centre, my son made progress, and they give right technique.

• Advertisement
Advertisement