Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
New AMA with a US police officer (he's back!). You can ask your questions here

VW Golf mark 8 eHybrid and GTE

  • 06-09-2020 5:02pm
    #1
    Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭ Dayor Knight


    Anybody know when these might be coming out? Only heard about eHybrid in the last few days in an article in the Irish Times. Seems it's a the GTE without the GTE bit (!), and a bit more affordable.

    I.T. article mentioned the eHybrid, bit I read elsewhere that it won't be sold in UK, so i'm wondering if it's unlikely to be sold here either then....?

    Can anyone here shed any light? Thanks.


«1

Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭ PaulRyan97


    uYg5irh.png

    The eHyrbid is currently available to order here and it's priced pretty decently. The GTE went on sale in Germany a few weeks ago so I would expect it to become available here by the start of October. I did happen to be on the VW finance calculator a few days ago and they must have prematurely pushed the pricing for the GTE to it as it was appearing as costing €50,650 (- grant + vrt rebate = €43,150).


  • Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭ Dayor Knight


    Excellent, thanks a lot for that info.


  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭✭ ColG


    Interesting! What’s the difference between the GTE and the ehybrid? Apologies if that’s a ridiculous question!!


  • Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭ Dayor Knight


    Seems to me from reading the blurb that there's very little except the eHybrid doesn't have the GTE specific stuff - tartan seats, GTE trim etc, and the GTE driving option (more power and 'growl'). GTE is closer to electric version of the GTI, I guess.

    But the eHybrid is no slouch either, just doesn't shout about it. So if you're looking for a hybrid golf but don't feel the need for a 'hot hatch', then the eHybrid night suit you better, for a few K less.

    That's how I read it anyway. Only came on this in the last couple of days. Looks a very promising battery range for day to day commuting, depending on your personal situation.

    Interesting for sure, coming at same time as ID 3....


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,041 ✭✭✭ DaveyDave


    I have my eye on the eHybrid. As someone who wants a GTI but can't afford anything north of €40k it's a good option. GTE running costs would be fine but still very expensive to buy. The eHybrid is the best of both worlds, performance and affordability. Especially as I'm planning on changing my current 1.0 Mk7.5 to the 1.5 Mk8 DSG, the eHybrid being just €2k more for performance and proper hybrid would be a good option.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭ Casati


    DaveyDave wrote: »
    I have my eye on the eHybrid. As someone who wants a GTI but can't afford anything north of €40k it's a good option. GTE running costs would be fine but still very expensive to buy. The eHybrid is the best of both worlds, performance and affordability. Especially as I'm planning on changing my current 1.0 Mk7.5 to the 1.5 Mk8 DSG, the eHybrid being just €2k more for performance and proper hybrid would be a good option.

    eHybrid looks very good on paper - with the grant it’s basically same price as the 1.5 as the spec is higher and includes head up display and the advanced leds. I’d imagine even without charge it will be more economical than the 1.5

    Surprised at the pricing for the GTE, has presumed it would be more expensive again as it has another circa 40bhp plus most of the GTI trim. Probably won’t drive like a GTI mind you so the eHybrid might be the better purchase


  • Registered Users Posts: 35 ✭✭✭ Maximo23


    I went to VW to test the Golf 8 and found out it had no blindspot monitor and no auto folding mirrors. I called VW headoffice and was told that the golf style and ehybrid will have both standard, Also the battery system in the ehybrid will have an 8 year or 160000km warranty whichever comes first. Also you can’t option in the harmon kardon speaker system on the ehybrid because of the battery pack. The controls on the steering wheel are the haptic/touch control and if you add the winter pack you get seperate front heated seats , heated steering wheel and heated washer nozzles in front.


  • Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭ PaulRyan97


    I see Frank Hogan in Limerick has gotten a new GTE in stock.

    https://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Volkswagen/Golf/fpa/202010235365108


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭ CoBo55


    PaulRyan97 wrote: »
    I see Frank Hogan in Limerick has gotten a new GTE in stock.

    https://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Volkswagen/Golf/fpa/202010235365108

    Poa, fcukin hate poa...


  • Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭ PaulRyan97


    CoBo55 wrote: »
    Poa, fcukin hate poa...

    Looking at the spec it should be about €52k before grants and incentives.

    ~€44,500 post grants and incentives for a 202 registration.

    ~€43,800 post grant and VRT band change for a 211 registration.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,403 ✭✭✭✭ Mad_Lad


    That's near Model 3 SR+ territory.


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭ CoBo55


    PaulRyan97 wrote: »
    Looking at the spec it should be about €52k before grants and incentives.

    ~€44,500 post grants and incentives for a 202 registration.

    ~€43,800 post grant and VRT band change for a 211 registration.

    Frank will be looking at her for a long time at those crazy prices...


  • Registered Users Posts: 35 ✭✭✭ Maximo23


    The Golf 8 style comes with Discover Pro and an 8 loudspeaker system. What way are the speakers configured? I see the comfort has 5 loudspeakers ...


  • Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭ Dayor Knight


    I'm guessing the e Hybrid should be about €36,700 ROTR from January, which would be a lot more doable than the GTE. Anybody know for sure?


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭ Casati


    I'm guessing the e Hybrid should be about €36,700 ROTR from January, which would be a lot more doable than the GTE. Anybody know for sure?

    VW in fairness don’t seem to mess about with pricing resultant from vrt changes or vat changes etc and adjust the pricing without changing the ex vrt / vat / mix price so basically if you’ve calculated that price using 7% vrt and excluding the 2500 vrt refund that’s going away then your probably right.

    Looks like great value especially if your going with pcp at 0% as that isn’t offered on the GTE

    It will be interesting to see what the Seat Leon FR ehybrid is priced at, probably closer to 35k


  • Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭ PaulRyan97


    I'm guessing the e Hybrid should be about €36,700 ROTR from January, which would be a lot more doable than the GTE. Anybody know for sure?

    (44,070 / 114) * 107 = 41,364 - 5000 = €36,364.

    Think there's an €800 delivery charge.


  • Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭ Dayor Knight


    PaulRyan97 wrote: »
    (44,070 / 114) * 107 = 41,364 - 5000 = €36,364.

    Think there's an €800 delivery charge.

    Thanks for the calc. (I should have been able to work that out!).

    Not much in it either way then between before and after. Still, it's interesting. I'll be very tempted to look at this in the new year. I'm not overly impressed by the Mark 8 looks, but as a hybrid package this one does look very good.


  • Registered Users Posts: 35 ✭✭✭ Maximo23


    The VW rep with which i ordered the Ehybrid told me the car will come a little cheaper but that the 0% pcp was gone for now. I remember seeing at the VW web where it said 0% pcp for all new golf until march 2021. Maybe im wrong?


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,041 ✭✭✭ DaveyDave


    The ID.3 can be had in a decent spec for around €38k. With that, the eHybrid and a €43k GTE there's certainly plenty of options for those wanting a bit more than 150hp without having the big running costs and high purchase price of a €45k+ GTI.

    I'd have a 1.5 Golf Style DSG specced at around €36-37k, so very little in cost difference to get the extra performance. What to do...


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭ Casati


    DaveyDave wrote: »
    The ID.3 can be had in a decent spec for around €38k. With that, the eHybrid and a €43k GTE there's certainly plenty of options for those wanting a bit more than 150hp without having the big running costs and high purchase price of a €45k+ GTI.

    I'd have a 1.5 Golf Style DSG specced at around €36-37k, so very little in cost difference to get the extra performance. What to do...

    If you can charge at home or work then the PHEV should definitely worth the v small premium. This car isn’t cheap but it’s cheaper than the old GTE, has better ev range, higher spec and same power


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 ✭✭✭ Maximo23


    Talking to VW today and they are saying that the saie grant is in doubt for 2021 models which would make the ehybrid 5000 € dearer...


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭ Casati


    Maximo23 wrote: »
    Talking to VW today and they are saying that the saie grant is in doubt for 2021 models which would make the ehybrid 5000 € dearer...

    If that's the case we won't be seeing any PHEV's next year I'd say


  • Registered Users Posts: 35 ✭✭✭ Maximo23


    Talking to Saie department and this is there answer:
    Hi There, there will be grants in 2021 but the exact details, T&C's etc, are still being finalised. We expect an announcement in the coming weeks.
    So with less than 2 months to go we all have no idea whats going on...


  • Registered Users Posts: 11,217 ✭✭✭✭ KCross


    Maximo23 wrote: »
    Talking to SEAI department and this is there answer:
    Hi There, there will be grants in 2021 but the exact details, T&C's etc, are still being finalised. We expect an announcement in the coming weeks.
    So with less than 2 months to go we all have no idea whats going on...

    Removal of incentives from PHEV's is to be expected.

    They were reduced in previous budgets (as well as hybrids).

    They are reducing/removing reliefs from BEV's over a certain value.

    You can see the writing on the wall... remove incentives gradually in this order... hyrbid, PHEV, BEV.
    Ramp up taxes on higher polluting cars.

    So, PHEV's are due another cut from the budget.

    And subsequent budgets are inevitably going to be the same with BEV's being the last ones with any grant/vrt-relief still being given.... i'd say by 2025 all grants will be gone for BEV... maybe sooner if it starts to become too expensive to finance it.


    Its a balls for those ordering a hybrid/PHEV car for Jan 2021 alright though. They should have announced it at budget time.


  • Registered Users Posts: 35 ✭✭✭ Maximo23


    I don't know what to do now, I could just wait and hope for the best or else they will allow me to order a mild-hybrid golf 8 style 150psi..
    Also the pcp for e-hybrid is at 4.9% like the Golf GTE while the style is at 1.9% at the moment.


  • Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭ PaulRyan97


    Maximo23 wrote: »
    I don't know what to do now, I could just wait and hope for the best or else they will allow me to order a mild-hybrid golf 8 style 150psi..
    Also the pcp for e-hybrid is at 4.9% like the Golf GTE while the style is at 1.9% at the moment.

    Where did you get those figures from?


  • Registered Users Posts: 35 ✭✭✭ Maximo23


    PaulRyan97 wrote: »
    Where did you get those figures from?

    Was giving by the Vw rep.


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,041 ✭✭✭ DaveyDave


    Website is showing the Golf Style as 0% in the 211 offers section but the finance calculator does have an option for 1.9% and 4.9% now.

    0% to 1.9% with a Golf Style DSG will add €30+ to the monthly payments which would be a big chunk of your discount. Higher interest with the eHybrid just widens the gap between them now. If I was paying extra over a 1.5 Golf I'd just go with a €38k ID.3 at 1.9%, might as well get a full EV for that money.


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭ CoBo55


    DaveyDave wrote: »
    Website is showing the Golf Style as 0% in the 211 offers section but the finance calculator does have an option for 1.9% and 4.9% now.

    0% to 1.9% with a Golf Style DSG will add €30+ to the monthly payments which would be a big chunk of your discount. Higher interest with the eHybrid just widens the gap between them now. If I was paying extra over a 1.5 Golf I'd just go with a €38k ID.3 at 1.9%, might as well get a full EV for that money.

    But the ID 3 looks ridiculous..


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,403 ✭✭✭✭ Mad_Lad


    CoBo55 wrote: »
    But the ID 3 looks ridiculous..

    Looks ridiculous, is that just because it's electric ? the Golf looks better why ?

    Granted the interior of the Golf is a lot nicer.

    The id.3 is really nice to drive though. Steering is light but that's the same with most car manufacturer these days including a 1 and 3 series.


Advertisement