Advertisement
If you have a new account but can't post, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help to verify your email address. Thanks :)
New AMA with a US police officer (he's back!). You can ask your questions here

Galway Summer Garden

  • 06-09-2020 1:00pm
    #1
    Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭ misstearheus


    Has anyone been to this? Thought there was a Thread on it but maybe not. Am curious to get others' opinions and thoughts about their experience there. There has been a lot of commentary on Facebook about volume levels emitted from the Venue..

    TL/DR: It's not something I would personally recommend! :D:D Just curious what others think of it. :) Looking forward to others' relative and relevant Opinions of their experience there. *Note: Thread-topic is a chain of People's opinions of their experience there, ie people that attended the event.*

    I went to Galway Summer Garden Festival Experience the other night. Oh My God lol. It was some experience alright! Not a pleasant one at all i.m.v. Firstly there was a Eircode given out for the location, but for some reason on Google Maps it was a right turn to Houses along the main road on the right-hand-side, and it was actually down a Road on the left-hand-side! Would have been a long time looking for something on the left hand side when Maps advised it's on the right like!! There is a Sign at the top of the road too but it needs to be double its' size. If the Sign was much bigger like it should have been, we obviously wouldn't have gone past the road then! They're making all this money too from all the Tents, the least they can do is invest in decent Signs!

    No atmosphere at all to the place, considering there was a fair amount of people there like! No Summer-vibe or party-mood whatsoever, it wasn't great, only okay, mediocre at most. I really don't know what paying €30 is actually for! Certainly zero Festival experience anyway! It was just all-round very boring but that's just my opinion.

    Then to get food and drinks there's an online ordering system. But, using What'sApp and scanning and clicking on links etc. etc. requires Internet! And of course! - they don't have WiFi! Well I think they had 2/3 Networks but possibly just for their own use. I had initially thought that providing or making Internet available to all the Tents wouldn't have been doable or viable, but actually now that I think of it again, - shure if WhatsApp is working and in-use they must have some form of Coverage or Internet, so it shouldn't be too difficult.

    Went to the trouble of loading a Money-Card with a lot of money for that purpose specifically to use to purchase food and drink! But it was completely pointless with no Internet!

    Why didn't they just make it a bloody standard text service, and people could then use WhatsApp if they wanted themselves, it's going to the same Phone Number done both ways anyway! Some people might have phone packages where it works out better for them to use WhatsApp, other people might have phone packages where it works out better for them not to use WhatsApp. Anyway, it shouldn't be the expectation present that Mobile Data has to be used, because someone might not have Mobile Data on their phone.

    Payment is through own Phone and Bank Account, so if necessary to have to go finding other ways of doing things, like using a Friend's or someone else's WhatsApp, then additionally they will have to be paid back too, because the money will come out of that particular Phone! And a bit pointless if having to pay friend / other person cash to give them back the money owed like, when there is the option of paying through own Phone right there but you can't access WhatsApp or scanning or links with no Internet!!

    Had thought to put money on a Card ready to use, obviously I didn't actually expect the place to have WiFi use either! It's just the Internet side of things never came into me head. If I was doing anything like that again, that was set out in that way, - I would make sure to buy a little bundle of Mobile-Data beforehand to use there for ordering. That isn't ideal for me either, having to buy extras for my Phone! Galway Summer Garden shouldn't be deciding for me what Phone package I use!! But no time for that kind of messing-around other people ordering for ya and having to use other people's Bank Accounts! It's un-necessary anyway.

    Food was horrendous. Never been inside a Prison, but I would imagine this is what Prison-food looks like. It was all soggy. "Slop in a small Bucket" lol. It reminded me of Yop! Ya know the Yoghurt Drink Yop. More substance to be had out of a €2 Deli Bag from a Supermarket anyway t.b.h. for me. Thankfully the food wasn't too expensive there. They should have gone down the "Sausage-Roll route" lol, that's just my suggestion anyway. Sausage-Rolls etc. Or Fast-Food Highway Chips etc., more so than a Hotel-type offering. Much more hearty food! Never mind Chick-peas and Lentils or whatever they were lol they weren't great. Like I mean stuffing a Container with teeny-tiny particles of shapes / objects whatever is in it, and topping it with Leaves leaves a lot to be desired! Why didn't they even just do a couple of decent portions of 1 / 2 things altogether, like a substantial portion of Sweet Potato Wedges. That would have been so good! Am very very surprised they didn't do Pizza of all things! Maybe Pizza wouldn't have fitted well in keeping with the Hotel-rep. But, Pizza would have been so much more appetizing than Lentils and Leaves! Just my opinion anyway. More options and choices available is better.

    They also don't have Minerals / Soft-Drinks on the Drinks Menu at all! That's funny and ironic for a number of reasons! One reason being that it appears all they want there is people to drink Alcohol!

    The environs there is very dead and lifeless! There's much more of an ambience in a bloody Restaurant! And like I mean a Restaurant is a formal Setting, - that SHOULD not be a considerable comparison!! They have a huge outdoor space here to work with! They could have done so much more with it. As is usual with anything else, the pics look very different. It's barely decorated or anything. I really don't know what they're putting all the money into that they're making out of it.

    And it's per head rather than per Tent. There are Pros and Cons to that. I guess, per head allows smaller numbers of groups to book which is a good thing, per Tent would probably mean only Full Tents of 6 can book. Down-side to that is, it's not actually really personal Tent at all. In one way, personally-specific should have the allowance / exclusivity to book extra people into personal Tent if there is remaining Tent capacity, but that may not be possible depending on over-all Venue maximum capacity.

    Also, it's until 10.30pm NOT until 11pm. They should stop advertising that it is on until 11pm when it's not! That's wrong. And if they have to reduce it down to 10.30pm in order to be out by 11pm, what they should have done, is, taken a Fiver off the cost or something if they can't add a half-hour the other side. It's supposed to be 5 hours inclusive duration not 4andahalfhours inclusive duration! They do state you have to be off the Premises by 11pm, but they also have times listed of 6pm to 11pm!

    Imagine all the Refunds there would be over a few weeks if they had to refund us all for that half-hour!

    Then when it was all over and everyone was trying to leave and make their own way out and go about their business, there was some "Steward" dude on-hand in his hippy-hoppy glory lol, "directing traffic." He was walking up and down and in and out and back and over all over the main road! Nowhere near the venue! It wasn't anywhere near their In-take Entry-point. No need for him to be standing around the road at all. He had no right whatsoever to be telling Cars or people where to go! This is the main road! Absolutely nothing got to do with the Venue! Everyone was just going about their business and should have been entitled to do exactly that! He was hovering over people and blocking everyone. He was standing out in the middle of the road, no place at all for him to be, there was people milling about, and he could have been the cause and creation of a multitude of different dangerous situations.

    So much hope was anticipated for this, I love music and the concept behind the set-up, the idea of Open-Air music seemed fantastic. But, it ain't all that really. It was very un-inviting and un-appealing. Because I love music I was very disappointed that it didn't hold any appeal. There should have been no reason for at least not enjoying the music, but everything was just a complete total and utter let-down.

    I'm struggling to come up with anything nice about the place. I do have to say, for the most part, Social Distancing was widely observed and exercised. Oh they did have 2 Plugs in the Tent, that's a good thing right! That's about it sadly! Even left before being told it was time to go, now that shouldn't be how attending a Festival ends up!!


Comments

  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,778 ✭✭✭✭ Kenny Flat Pony


    What was wrong with your own internet on your phone? I don’t even bother joining WiFi in places outside of home or work anymore as your own internet from your network is likely faster and more secure.

    Who doesn’t have a large amount of mobile data nowadays, a tiny minority I would imagine. If you don’t it’s time to change provider or change to a different plan as your are being taken for a fool. I pay 9.99 a month for unlimited calls, texts and unlimited data.


  • Registered Users Posts: 23,857 ✭✭✭✭ Mrs OBumble


    faster and more secure.

    Who doesn’t have a large amount of mobile data nowadays

    People who prefer Pizza over Lentis and Leaves.


  • Registered Users Posts: 10,258 ✭✭✭✭ ben.schlomo


    Christ op but that was an awful read. Was it written by a twelve year old, like!


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,356 ✭✭✭ inisboffin


    I've been three times and love it.

    The food is grand, there's meat and veggie options and no complaints from anyone. A small selection but I was really happy with mine.
    Prices grand too. It's great for a get together with a couple of mates.

    They did have to change the pricing structure when the outdoor rules changed, and there was no central gathering (albeit distanced).

    Music and DJ were brilliant each time, once was daytime but they stopped doing that. The volume is not bad at all, I was expecting 'festival' levels but not at all. They really got that right.

    I think there's a person on the road so people are quiet leaving as they pass houses. I was there until 11 but maybe that changed to 10.30 after the new rules.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭ LostDuck


    Very strange post.

    You wanted a festival experience in a field but annoyed at lack of Wi-Fi connections yet happy with plugs being available in the tents.
    I would make sure to buy a little bundle of Mobile-Data beforehand to use

    In 2020??
    There has been a lot of commentary on Facebook about volume levels..

    Any chance you're one of the disgruntled locals?


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭ Laviski


    a few mates went to it as was thinking of organizing in going, not that great so what i was told as what really left a sour taste was the price of drinks there giving 330ml services but charging 3-4 times what you would pay in the offy (obvious cheaper again when got wholesale) - that in itself would piss me right off not to mention lack of selection for high pricing. Overall whole thing left a sour taste with bordom of music choices hence was not recommended. But there are some people out there that like that sort of thing and off with them.

    to OP's post - in this day and age complaining about wifi..... get on the gomo train. alot did when its was 9.99 and beleive its now 12.99 a month. if relying on wifi in this day and age then the summer garden was waaay out of your price range to start with.


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,356 ✭✭✭ inisboffin


    Laviski wrote: »
    a few mates went to it as was thinking of organizing in going, not that great so what i was told as what really left a sour taste was the price of drinks there giving 330ml services but charging 3-4 times what you would pay in the offy (obvious cheaper again when got wholesale) - that in itself would piss me right off not to mention lack of selection for high pricing. Overall whole thing left a sour taste with bordom of music choices hence was not recommended. But there are some people out there that like that sort of thing and off with them.

    to OP's post - in this day and age complaining about wifi..... get on the gomo train. alot did when its was 9.99 and beleive its now 12.99 a month. if relying on wifi in this day and age then the summer garden was waaay out of your price range to start with.

    I remember pints being the same as a pub, a couple of craft thingies on the menu, but pint of plain the same. Also when did your mates go? They had a different menu (pricier) when they opened, as a different restaurant/chef I think. The nights I was there all food around a tenner or less!


  • Registered Users Posts: 23,857 ✭✭✭✭ Mrs OBumble


    LostDuck wrote: »
    Any chance you're one of the disgruntled locals?

    Isn't that it great that complaints from local mobile home residents are being taken seriously now.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭ LostDuck


    Isn't that it great that complaints from local mobile home residents are being taken seriously now.

    I disagree, that doesn't sound great at all if that's happening.


  • Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭ Mr Man


    LostDuck wrote: »
    I disagree, that doesn't sound great at all if that's happening.

    So if your neighbors opened a completely illegal shebeen in their back garden, you would be cool with that?

    The Summer Garden has no planning and is operating outside of the law. This was confirmed to the local residents by the council.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,857 ✭✭✭✭ Mrs OBumble


    Mr Man wrote: »
    So if your neighbors opened a completely illegal shebeen in their back garden, you would be cool with that?

    The Summer Garden has no planning and is operating outside of the law. This was confirmed to the local residents by the council.

    In fairness, most restaurants that offered takeaway during the closedown were doing so knowing that it was explicitly not allowed in their planning. Ditto all the places that have commandeered footpaths and turned them into outdoor seating.

    It would need planning to be there long term, but a few weeks this summer should be allowed. I'm pretty sure planning allows temporary structures.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭ LostDuck


    Mr Man wrote: »
    So if your neighbors opened a completely illegal shebeen in their back garden, you would be cool with that?

    The Summer Garden has no planning and is operating outside of the law. This was confirmed to the local residents by the council.

    Of course not - that's why I disagree with MrsOB that it'd be great for local concerns not to be taken seriously.

    I see they got some coverage in the City Tribune last week. Seemed very one-sided coverage though, mostly coming from the organiser of the Summer Garden, same organisers as the Christmas Market by the way.

    The locals seem to be directing their concerns mostly to the City Council, where things happen at a glacial pace. Surely noise or licensing issues should be directed to the Gardai while they're happening?


  • Registered Users Posts: 23,857 ✭✭✭✭ Mrs OBumble


    LostDuck wrote: »
    Of course not - that's why I disagree with MrsOB that it'd be great for local concerns not to be taken seriously.

    I thimk you misunderstood my point.

    It is reportedly local mobile home residents who have complained.

    An interesting group of people to be complaining.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭ Adan Gifted Searcher


    I thimk you misunderstood my point.

    It is reportedly local mobile home residents who have complained.

    An interesting group of people to be complaining.

    Interesting in what way? These mobile home owners live in the caravan park beside the Summer Garden. Why should their views not be taken into consideration? Are you confusing mobile home owners with camper van owners who park illegally on the prom?


  • Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭ Mr Man


    In fairness, most restaurants that offered takeaway during the closedown were doing so knowing that it was explicitly not allowed in their planning. Ditto all the places that have commandeered footpaths and turned them into outdoor seating.

    It would need planning to be there long term, but a few weeks this summer should be allowed. I'm pretty sure planning allows temporary structures.

    My understanding is that pretty much all of the footpath expansion was sanctioned.
    You do get that there are quite a few people who live there fulltime?


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,356 ✭✭✭ inisboffin


    Interesting in what way? These mobile home owners live in the caravan park beside the Summer Garden. Why should their views not be taken into consideration? Are you confusing mobile home owners with camper van owners who park illegally on the prom?

    I read the Trib article and comments. It is only a handful of residents who object, 2 or 3 mainly. Even some other residents were commenting on there saying it was grand, minimal disturbance and they support it.
    Maybe people are questioning the legality of year round residency in a caravan park in a conversation about planning and legality - I saw comments about that too in the thread.
    If it was on my doorstep and I had plastic walls, would it bother me? I don't know, but it's kind of the same conversation about living in/beside anywhere with noise (town) or a lot of transient movement (a campsite with people holidaying and coming and going all the time).
    From what I can tell, the hours are very reasonable, and not antisocial at all.


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,356 ✭✭✭ inisboffin


    Mr Man wrote: »
    My understanding is that pretty much all of the footpath expansion was sanctioned.
    You do get that there are quite a few people who live there fulltime?

    From what I hear, it's about 6. Maybe you know differently? I had a friend living there for a couple of years, and they did use the phrase 'a handful'. That was not this year though.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭ Johnny_BravoIII


    There's a % of people who would fight with their toe-nails.
    I've been there twice. Brilliant idea.
    The event ended sharp 11pm.
    They moved the entrace from the caravan side to Spinakers to further reduce noise.
    Staff escorted people off the premises and shooed them along to further reduce noise.

    It's grand. It's very civilised.
    Pricey booze.
    Low music in a field with strict social distancing.
    I had 2 beers the first night. Zero the second.
    Something to be doing.
    COVID craic.

    I've a huge amount of sympathy for the organisers.
    Their trying to get something going. Each of their businesses have been hammered by COVID.

    Unfortunately, once it's open doors your dealing with the plebs.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭ Adan Gifted Searcher


    inisboffin wrote: »
    Maybe people are questioning the legality of year round residency in a caravan park in a conversation about planning and legality - I saw comments about that too in the thread.
    If it was on my doorstep and I had plastic walls, would it bother me? I don't know, but it's kind of the same conversation about living in/beside anywhere with noise (town) or a lot of transient movement (a campsite with people holidaying and coming and going all the time).

    I don't see any questions about the legality of year round residency in a caravan park in this thread. Two wrongs don't make a right in any case. I absolutely get your point about people who choose to live in noisy places complaining about noise. However, perhaps the people who live in mobile homes with "plastic walls" have no choice but to do so. I can't help feeling that if they chose to live in a usually quiet field beside the sea, they may be justified in their complaints about late night noise. But I haven't been to the Secret Garden so I don't feel entitled to an opinion on that.

    The point I am making is simply why shouldn't people who live in mobile homes be entitled to their opinion? The old familiar Galway Boardsies superiority complex seems to be alive and well in this thread, dismissing the rights of people who don't live in a bricks and mortar dwelling and mocking those who can't afford a data package on their phone. Not everybody lives in an ivory tower folks.


  • Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭ Mr Man


    inisboffin wrote: »
    From what I hear, it's about 6. Maybe you know differently? I had a friend living there for a couple of years, and they did use the phrase 'a handful'. That was not this year though.

    I thought around 8-10 mobile homes were occupied fulltime. Which is probably not what most people would understand by quite a few!

    I thought it was a great idea when I heard about it; however, I met a resident of the park and he told me that the council had confirmed to the residents that the Summer Garden was operating without permission. This raises a bunch of questions, e.g. How are they selling booze? Do they have public liability coverage? Did the event complete an environmental impact assessment (given the scenic nature of the location, surely they had to do something like this). And so on with the questions. There may be legitimate answer to all of them but i do think they are valid to ask.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,356 ✭✭✭ inisboffin


    I don't see any questions about the legality of year round residency in a caravan park in this thread. Two wrongs don't make a right in any case. I absolutely get your point about people who choose to live in noisy places complaining about noise. However, perhaps the people who live in mobile homes with "plastic walls" have no choice but to do so. I can't help feeling that if they chose to live in a usually quiet field beside the sea, they may be justified in their complaints about late night noise. But I haven't been to the Secret Garden so I don't feel entitled to an opinion on that.

    The point I am making is simply why shouldn't people who live in mobile homes be entitled to their opinion? The old familiar Galway Boardsies superiority complex seems to be alive and well in this thread, dismissing the rights of people who don't live in a bricks and mortar dwelling and mocking those who can't afford a data package on their phone. Not everybody lives in an ivory tower folks.


    No I was referring to the greater conversation online and in the Connacht Trib FB. *That's* where people brought up the legality of year round in the Mobiles. My friend lived there for a year, as I said, and while there's a tiny minority who do, of course they should have a voice. I have absolutely no problem with people's choice of abode, believe me! I mentioned plastic walls, not in a derogatory way (sorry if it read that way) but more to do with the fact that it will ALWAYS be noisier. I lived in way worse than a mobile home, no judgement here. That field you mention has always been 'summer busy' with families coming and changing each night. I used to live beside a campsite myself years ago, and believe me they are not quiet places, and your neighbours are right on top of you. Tellys next door sound like festivals.
    I also made the point (and personally know one person this is true for) that even among direct neighbours, it is only a few people with the problem. Of course they should have a voice, but to say the event is illegal is out of order.

    I think late night noise is anything after 11 too, but everyone to their own. When the Spinnaker was open, that must have been bar time. Outside of that, I think the main noise is summer campers and all that entails with vehicles, music etc, and the regular people passing.


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,356 ✭✭✭ inisboffin


    Mr Man wrote: »
    I thought around 8-10 mobile homes were occupied fulltime. Which is probably not what most people would understand by quite a few!

    I thought it was a great idea when I heard about it; however, I met a resident of the park and he told me that the council had confirmed to the residents that the Summer Garden was operating without permission. This raises a bunch of questions, e.g. How are they selling booze? Do they have public liability coverage? Did the event complete an environmental impact assessment (given the scenic nature of the location, surely they had to do something like this). And so on with the questions. There may be legitimate answer to all of them but i do think they are valid to ask.

    Wow, this sounds like very negative heresay (on their part). And to be running stuff this long, I am fairly sure if this was illegal it would have been take to task. Did you try asking them. Not being facetious, but it may be that simple?


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭ Adan Gifted Searcher


    inisboffin wrote: »
    No I was referring to the greater conversation online and in the Connacht Trib FB. *That's* where people brought up the legality of year round in the Mobiles. My friend lived there for a year, as I said, and while there's a tiny minority who do, of course they should have a voice. I have absolutely no problem with people's choice of abode, believe me! I mentioned plastic walls, not in a derogatory way (sorry if it read that way) but more to do with the fact that it will ALWAYS be noisier. I lived in way worse than a mobile home, no judgement here. That field you mention has always been 'summer busy' with families coming and changing each night. I used to live beside a campsite myself years ago, and believe me they are not quiet places, and your neighbours are right on top of you. Tellys next door sound like festivals.
    I also made the point (and personally know one person this is true for) that even among direct neighbours, it is only a few people with the problem. Of course they should have a voice, but to say the event is illegal is out of order.

    I think late night noise is anything after 11 too, but everyone to their own. When the Spinnaker was open, that must have been bar time. Outside of that, I think the main noise is summer campers and all that entails with vehicles, music etc, and the regular people passing.

    Thanks for clarifying where that debate is happening Inisboffin and also for your calm and reasoned posts. I don't include you in the Superior gang, their posts in this thread are plain to see.


  • Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭ username2020


    I was there recently.
    It's a nice set up
    Could be nicer with a few tweaks but the start of any business is mainly about learning, no?
    Drinks were quite small, but the g&t was lovely, ice cold and a nice measure, wine the same.
    Food needs to be looked at. It was red rotten, sorry, my burrito bowl was not slow cooked braised beef, it was mince put in the microwave while I waited.
    Burgers were meh, chips would have been nice.
    Music was OK.
    The rain was a dampener
    But a nice eve for a catch up


Advertisement