Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wall paper removal

Options
  • 06-09-2020 12:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,968 ✭✭✭

I am trying to help a lady out that lives in the states but has an old house in cabra.

I have removed some wallpaper and the plaster under it seems to me like plaster.

What would be the best option to repair the walls. I had a chuck come off from the wall while peeling the paper.

Should I just reglue the other paper back the that is coming off and just paint over it or peel it all off and get the walls skimmed.

On a tight budget to fix the house reasonable to rent out. 4000 is the max she has given to spend

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Stanford

Hire a wallpaper steamer, must easier on bad walls

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Stanford wrote: »
    Hire a wallpaper steamer, must easier on bad walls

If as op stated they are old walls and "a chunk of plaster" has come off. Using a steamer to remove the paper is probably the worst thing they could do, as the heat will have an adverse reaction on old plaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,726 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Walls were probably never plastered in the first place and the wallpaper was fitted to drywall plasterboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Stanford

Ceepo wrote: »
    If as op stated they are old walls and "a chunk of plaster" has come off. Using a steamer to remove the paper is probably the worst thing they could do, as the heat will have an adverse reaction on old plaster.

Any remedial work to the walls requires that the wallpaper be removed, its better that old plaster fall off now so that a full repair can be made

• Registered Users Posts: 9,773 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

If the budget is so low, I would be inclined to just paint everything doing repairs where necessary. It will need further work sooner or later but it sounds like now may not be the time. The 4000 euros will be quickly absorbed by the painting alone and a few minor repairs to bring things up to rental standard.

However there may be tax advantages to doing as much work as possible now and funding may be available.

https://www.revenue.ie/en/tax-professionals/tdm/income-tax-capital-gains-tax-corporation-tax/part-04/04-08-18.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

Use wall paper steamer then patch walls then paint should take a day at most

• Registered Users Posts: 9,968 ✭✭✭cena

the owner has spoken. All wallpaper to come down and skim walls.

I had a neighbour in the house to look at the plumbing I need done. He reckons it the the orginal lime plaster still on the walls

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Paulzx

Stripping wall paper has to be the most soul destroying job in the world.

I'd rather clear a blocked sewer with no rods!

OP... may the force be with you!

Paulzx wrote: »
    Stripping wall paper has to be the most soul destroying job in the world.

I'd rather clear a blocked sewer with no rods!

OP... may the force be with you!

What to give a hand. steak dinner in it for you :D

Stanford wrote: »
    Any remedial work to the walls requires that the wallpaper be removed, its better that old plaster fall off now so that a full repair can be made

Don't disagree that the paper will need to be removed.
    What I said was, not to use a steamer to do it.
    As I said the heat and steam will have an adverse effect on the plaster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭raxy

We stripped the wallpaper from our house (built 1990) which had wall paper directly on the plasterboard using a steamer. It was soul destroying & the plasterboard was in a bad state but all was skimmed over without any problems. Last guy we got tried to say he couldn't skim it & we'd have to replace the boards with new boards. Changed his mind when I said I'd get another plasterer.
    I'm not sure how bad your boards are or how far you've gone but the easiest option would be to put new plasterboard over the old boards. Save yourself the heartache of stripping the paper.

• Administrators Posts: 53,369 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

raxy wrote: »
    We stripped the wallpaper from our house (built 1990) which had wall paper directly on the plasterboard using a steamer. It was soul destroying & the plasterboard was in a bad state but all was skimmed over without any problems. Last guy we got tried to say he couldn't skim it & we'd have to replace the boards with new boards. Changed his mind when I said I'd get another plasterer.
    I'm not sure how bad your boards are or how far you've gone but the easiest option would be to put new plasterboard over the old boards. Save yourself the heartache of stripping the paper.

No way.

Every single socket and light switch etc would need re-done. Every skirting board removed and re-attached. Windows would look a mess, window boards would be off. Every doorway would need made deeper, architrave off and re-done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

cena wrote: »
    the owner has spoken. All wallpaper to come down and skim walls.

I had a neighbour in the house to look at the plumbing I need done. He reckons it the the orginal lime plaster still on the walls

If it's lime mortar/plaster then likely it's quite an old house. That product was often used to let old stone walls breath. I know you are on a budget but perhaps check that aspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭raxy

awec wrote: »
    No way.

Every single socket and light switch etc would need re-done. Every skirting board removed and re-attached. Windows would look a mess, window boards would be off. Every doorway would need made deeper, architrave off and re-done.

Sockets & plugs would not need to be re-done. You cur a hole in the correct place & all you need is at most longer screws to re-attach.
    Skirting would need to be taken off & replaced but not hard to do. Architrave would not need to be taken off & re-done, new boards would butt up to the existing architrave, might depend on what's there already.
    Windows would not look a mess, don't know why you'd think that.

My parents are getting internal insulation put in. From looking at the rooms already done you would not know it was done. Windows & window boards did not look any different. You can overboard with the 6mmplasterboard & you'd probably never even notice it. I've had 3 plasterers say that is what we should have done from the start.

bobbyy gee wrote: »
    Use wall paper steamer then patch walls then paint should take a day at most

Wow. A day at most..
    Really?

Ceepo wrote: »
    Wow. A day at most..
    Really?

must be superman

Advertisement