Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Respray of damaged area?

• 05-09-2020 5:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭

Hi all, how are you?

A few months back I hit a deep and steep pothole at 5km/h. Really annoying, I was approaching a junction and had almost stopped when the front right went straight into this chasm and caused the damage in the picture.

I'm looking for advice on a cheap and effective home repair.

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Aw man, that sucks.

There is nothing you can do at home to fix that. You need a professional body shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭pegdrums

Howdy,
    Do you mean the paint or the ding? I'm not too bothered about the ding itself, just looking to cover up and protect the paint.

I was thinking of something like a sanding, rust remover spray, primer, paint and clear coat.

But it's not my area so I'm clutching at straws.

biko wrote: »
    Aw man, that sucks.

Worst part was the car was only 6/7 months old at the time :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭mk7r

Thats some pretty serious damage, i'd stump up for the professional repair, anything you do will make it look worse. Especially if the car is very new?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

You need more than home paint to sort that, surface rust is going to develop in to rather more than just surface rust if not properly addressed and that is not an area you want any level of corrosion.

• Advertisement

Damn. I was hoping that wouldn't be the case.

I'll take it to a bodyshop so.

How much do ya reckon just for the paint job?

And thanks you all for your replies and advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭mk7r

pegdrums wrote: »
    Damn. I was hoping that wouldn't be the case.

I'll take it to a bodyshop so.

How much do ya reckon just for the paint job?

Get it fully fixed, no bodyshop will just paint it. The sill is structural and that area is not an easy repair due to how strong it is. Id estimate about 500 for a repair and paint of just the damaged area, blended in. It is rusting badly now though so time is against you before it gets to the point of replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭jmreire

Hi all, how are you?

A few months back I hit a deep and steep pothole at 5km/h. Really annoying, I was approaching a junction and had almost stopped when the front right went straight into this chasm and caused the damage in the picture.

I'm looking for advice on a cheap and effective home repair.

Many thanks

On the positive side, it's just the one panel thats damaged ( unless you want the blemish on the door done as well ? ) and it's down low, so any imperfection's in the repair will not be noticable afterwards. ( IE painting match, ripples in the finish etc )
    To do a top class job will mean cutting out the damaged section, straightening it and welding it back in place, followed by finishing it to original standard. Alternatively, the panel could be repaired by welding grips on to the damaged section and pulling it back into shape as much as possible, filling it and levelling it , then repainting it. There is no short or easy option's with it, as its a box section, and its not a suitable job for an amateur. Its one of these thing's that happens, but at least its fixable. Good Luck with it.

Thanks again. I'll contact a few places for a quote......I'll let ya know how it goes and which way they fix it

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

As someone who did a first time DIY repair on a bumper last year, I'd echo the bodyshop route. While it didn't turn out too bad for me, it wasn't easy and was on a 13 year old car. I thankfully didn't have to deal with metal either.

Is there any scope for investigating some compensation with the council? I know people who have done it with alloy wheels before.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 387 ✭✭Ta ceist agam

delly wrote: »

Is there any scope for investigating some compensation with the council? I know people who have done it with alloy wheels before.

I doubt the Council will entertain this, at best they make it difficult. I can't even make out how that damage was made by a pothole. It looks like the driver turned into a kerb as indicated by the long deep imprint.

Any pics of when it happened OP and where?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

I can't even make out how that damage was made by a pothole. It looks like the driver turned into a kerb as indicated by the long deep imprint.

I thought the same. 5kph and stopped in a pothole that deep.. Seems implausible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

... I can't even make out how that damage was made by a pothole. It looks like the driver turned into a kerb as indicated by the long deep imprint.

Any pics of when it happened OP and where?

What difference does it make...he wants advice on getting it fixed, not a debate on how it happened.

What difference does it make...he wants advice on getting it fixed, not a debate on how it happened.

I was merely responding to another posters question re: claiming from the Council.

Also, if we could establish how it happened we could prevent others from doing same.

Preventative is better than cure!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Goose81

I've got a good bit of body repair done on cars and bikes over the last few years. That shouldnt cost near 500 quid imo, I'd say 300 max.

I've had much worse damaged fixed on a Yaris and it was 750 and it was way worse than that

Try car craft in Dublin

Exactly.

Just to clarify though...
    As stated in my original post the front wheel dropped into a pothole as I was nearing a stop. It was just out past Inch beach in Cork down a really badly rutted lane. This hole was massive, almost knee deep and brimmed full of water too!! The weather was kak that night. A large rock edging the hole did the damage as the front wheel went in

If it was a Kurb I'd have stated so.

Goose81 wrote: »
    I've got a good bit of body repair done on cars and bikes over the last few years. That shouldnt cost near 500 quid imo, I'd say 300 max.

I've had much worse damaged fixed on a Yaris and it was 750 and it was way worse than that

Try car craft in Dublin

Cheers for the encouraging news. 300 is a lot more appealing than 500. Fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭jmreire

Exactly.

Just to clarify though...
    As stated in my original post the front wheel dropped into a pothole as I was nearing a stop. It was just out past Inch beach in Cork down a really badly rutted lane. This hole was massive, almost knee deep and brimmed full of water too!! The weather was kak that night. A large rock edging the hole did the damage as the front wheel went in

If it was a Kurb I'd have stated so.

Hindsight being one of the best inventions going, if at the time you had thought to take a pic of the wheel while it was still in the hole, and maybe afterwards placed a branch or something into it to show the depth, and the protruding stone, then for sure you would have a case against the council...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,535 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

If you don't really care about the damage just sand, prime and paint it otherwise its a job for a bodyshop

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,256 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

jmreire wrote: »
    Hindsight being one of the best inventions going, if at the time you had thought to take a pic of the wheel while it was still in the hole, and maybe afterwards placed a branch or something into it to show the depth, and the protruding stone, then for sure you would have a case against the council...

The council have no liability here in Ireland where road defects development naturally over time and they know this so will not pay out for simple 'damaged in a pothole' claims.
    They are however 100 percent liable if you can prove defective work or a defective repair or a failure to act on reported defect.
    So in short, if you can show evidence of a poorly.repaired pothole causing damage, you would have a case or if you damaged a wheel on roadworks, you would have a case but not when just hitting a random pothole.
    Way back in the early days of the EEC, there was a directive that was to be put into law here that would make it council responsibility to ensure all roads were in suitable condition. The Irish governement didnt like the look of that so never acted on that. I believe they may be paying Eu fines each and every year relating to this but clearly they can ignore what they dont like.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

mickdw wrote: »
    The council have no liability here in Ireland where road defects development naturally over time and they know this so will not pay out for simple 'damaged in a pothole' claims.
    They are however 100 percent liable if you can prove defective work or a defective repair or a failure to act on reported defect.
    So in short, if you can show evidence of a poorly.repaired pothole causing damage, you would have a case or if you damaged a wheel on roadworks, you would have a case but not when just hitting a random pothole.
    Way back in the early days of the EEC, there was a directive that was to be put into law here that would make it council responsibility to ensure all roads were in suitable condition. The Irish governement didnt like the look of that so never acted on that. I believe they may be paying Eu fines each and every year relating to this but clearly they can ignore what they dont like.

not true.
    my mother damaged a wheel in a pothole a few years back.
    she returned to the spot, took photos of the pothole and submitted the receipts for repairs.
    council paid for it

not true.
    she returned to the spot, took photos of the pothole and submitted the receipts for repairs.
    council paid for it

Yes I agree here.

Small claims courts cost 25 euro should the Council not play ball!

Also how long ago did it happen, as that rust is quite developed?
    Could this be as a result of sea salt water being in the pothole or crater?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,256 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

not true.
    council paid for it

I assure you that the law doesnt require them to pay where a random pothole developed over time. If they paid, they didnt want the hassle or they had multiple claims on that same pothole which would have made them liable if they didnt repair it after being informed of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,098 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

You cannot use the Small Claims court against a council for damage from a pothole as they are not a business and the OP didn't buy goods or a service from them.

bazz26 wrote: »
    You cannot use the Small Claims court against a council for damage from a pothole as they are not a business and the OP didn't buy goods or a service from them.

Yes you can.

I used it before as a result of a clamping company causing damage to my alloy by incorrectly fitting the clamp and taking no precaution of the chain rubbing against the alloy. The clamping company didn't respond therefore I took it to small claims court. I claimed for an entire alloy as my initial claim for a refurb was rejected as I was claiming a days car rental with it, but as the clamping company were being pricks, I was awarded cost for a new alloy. In retrospect I could have claimed for a wheel repair too but I wouldn't be covered for car rental and I did't want to be driving around with a spurious wheel, as my insurance company said they wouldn't cover me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Yes you can.

I used it before as a result of a clamping company causing damage to my alloy by incorrectly fitting the clamp and taking no precaution of the chain rubbing against the alloy. The clamping company didn't respond therefore I took it to small claims court. I claimed for an entire alloy as my initial claim for a refurb was rejected as I was claiming a days car rental with it, but as the clamping company were being pricks, I was awarded cost for a new alloy. In retrospect I could have claimed for a wheel repair too but I wouldn't be covered for car rental and I did't want to be driving around with a spurious wheel, as my insurance company said they wouldn't cover me.

You claimed against a company, not the council

You claimed against a company, not the council

Yes, you're right there. Over sight on my part.

But, you can also lodge a case yourself in district court if you had enough evidence such as pictures, quotes etc. You don't need a solicitor if you have compiled enough evidence and present to judge.

It may not even get that far.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Goose81

Yes, you're right there. Over sight on my part.

But, you can also lodge a case yourself in district court if you had enough evidence such as pictures, quotes etc. You don't need a solicitor if you have compiled enough evidence and present to judge.

It may not even get that far.

You would lose and it would cost you more than the damage.

As said yes u claimed against a company completely different, not worth claiming anything in this case.

• Advertisement

Goose81 wrote: »
    You would lose and it would cost you more than the damage.

As said yes u claimed against a company completely different, not worth claiming anything in this case.

Oh I didn't realise we had an online District court Judge on here!

Amazing how you can predict the outcome of a case even without seeing any evidence.

I was told I would lose also, but I paid my 25 euro and submitted my evidence online and the company didn't dispute it but sent the court registrar the cheque to cover my claim.

Many companies and Councils know they are in the wrong but will make it as difficult as possible and will try to delay and delay and try and make you go away......which is exactly your bar stool attitude!

Advertisement