Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jersey Pulling

Options
  • 05-09-2020 11:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭

Looking to get other opinions on this. Speaking from a football POV as I've never played hurling. I've played for my local club for years and have definitely noticed an increase in jersey pulling off the ball in this time.

I really hate how it is such an effective tactic to stop an opponent, and especially at club level, it is near impossible for a referee keep an eye on. Also if your jersey is being pulled, if you react, you have more chance of being spotted by the referee and you'll be penalised.

From what I see, it is being coached into the game. "Hands on" is what you'll hear shouted in from the management teams and during teamtalks, you are told to grab the opponent's jersey. The worst thing for me is that training matches descend into pulling and dragging contests.

If jersey pulling was eradicated from the game, it would be far more enjoyable to play, and would be a better spectacle to fans. Maybe I'm just cranky as I'm getting older. Personally, I think a straight red card for off the ball jersey pulling would go a long way to stopping the problem.

Would love to get other opinions. Thanks

Advertisement