Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice re tenant travelling to Paris

Options
  • 05-09-2020 11:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭

Hi guys. I’m renting out a room to a French girl who’s heading home home to Paris next weekend for a few days. She was already home three weeks ago to go a ‘pool party’ at her cousins house. She’s going next weekend with her boyfriend to show him around Paris. Obviously Paris is a bit crazy with Corona at the moment. She didn’t quarantine when she came home three weeks ago and she won’t this time either.

She works from home so if she gets sick she’s fine but I’m a primary school teacher and if she passes it to me obviously my class will have to be sent home etc so it’s a bigger deal for me.

Long story short what can I do? Can I tell her to stay at her boyfriends for two weeks? Would I be expected to give her money off her rent when it’s her choice to go and it’s not on the green list?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭893bet

In your house? Where you live?

She has little rights really so lay down the law IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭what the hell!

893bet wrote: »
    In your house? Where you live?

She has little rights really so lay down the law IMO.

Yep it’s my house and I’m in Cork city. The boyfriend lives maybe ten mins away. He’ll be over and back to the house too when they’re back in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

Id tell her to quarantine elsewhere. Tell her you won't charge her rent for those two weeks. Let her be the one who has to make a decision, not you.
    Why would you want someone with such a flippant attitude living in your house while you're trying to protect yourself. If she was happy to attend a pool party in France she is probably taking risks the whole time as it is.
    If I was in your shoes I'd probably tell her to leave altogether and get in someone else

• Registered Users Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Tell her she will need to self isolate in the boyfriends house when she returns.

If she kicks up start the process of making her move out.

Thanks guys ok I’ll tell her stay away for the two weeks. Then I’m thinking why should I lose out on half the months rent when it’s her own choice and she’s being reckless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

I'd tell her to feck off and find a new lodger.

+1

I’d have booted her out the minute she said she was going on the first trip back never mind the second. Pure scum.

Yep, tell her to stay away for 2 weeks or to move her stuff out before she goes. Absolutely no reason to give money off rent either.

And her dad was over from Paris last weekend for her birthday party and stayed in the house for 3 nights 🙈 sorry everyone I know I’m a dope ha! She’s been in the house 2 years now and there hadn’t been an issue until the last few weeks so I suppose I was giving her the benefit of the doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

If she's long term sit down and have a chat with her, at the requisite 2m of course. If she's not listening then revert to my previous advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

A friend of ours recently had a Brazillian nanny who was sticking to the travel plans of seeing Europe while here. She was let go. In tears and all that but you have to be practical or else run the risk of a very serious situation which by the sounds of it, your tenant has no regard for.

Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,297 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

My wife has a Spanish girl working for her that just lost her grandmother and she’s not travelling home for the funeral as she thinks it’s not worth the risk travelling. That’s the level people should be at with precautions and thoughtfulness to others.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

I'm curious - What career has she? That's she's working from home and flitting over and back to Paris every few weeks?

I get to do feck all ever - Thanks PAYE system and crap career choices.

Bah.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

Have a nice chat and hopefully she will understand that this is non-negotiable. If she doesn’t, it’s still non-negotiable :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Oink wrote: »
    Have a nice chat and hopefully she will understand that this is non-negotiable. If she doesn’t, it’s still non-negotiable :-)

The thread is two months old

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

jlm29 wrote: »
    The thread is two months old

D’oh! I only looked at the date on the previous reply.

Advertisement