Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Little b....rds

Options
  • 05-09-2020 11:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭

Can anyone tell me what the little small mites are in my straw.I got 50 small square bales of barley straw and every time I pick it up you have these tiny mites crawling on you.I used some in my poultry sheds and now they've decided they like living on my birds.Can i kill them or do I have to dump the straw.
    Its not effecting birds yet but if it does ill have to treat them.Also if the fields start to tear up a bit I sometimes winter my ponies indoors and will they effect them.Ive never seen these before so any advice is welcome.Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,720 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Hay lice maybe?

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Asus1

Hay lice maybe?

They might be.Is there anything that kills them or were they brought in with the straw.Ive never seen them before.They could have always been around but only because there is loads of them im noticing them now.I'll try get a picture up.

Asus1 wrote: »
    They might be.Is there anything that kills them or were they brought in with the straw.Ive never seen them before.They could have always been around but only because there is loads of them im noticing them now.I'll try get a picture up.

This is them

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Tig98

Whatever they are, if they are bothering the hens you need to move in fast. You can waste money on all the powders etc, but I find if you give them enough dry sand and ashes from the fire they'll get rid of them themselves. Better sooner than later though.

Did you buy it locally?

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭longgonesilver

Is it fresh straw or is it last years out of a sbed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,820 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Not 100% but they look a little like ticks.

If they are they can spread lyme disease and are dangerous for humans.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭flos1964

They will suck the blood from the hens and drive them crazy...had a running battle with them using the powders and found it hopeless...now i give them 3 to 4 drops of eprinex between the shoulders and it works great everytime ...hope this helps.

Not 100% but they look a little like ticks.

If they are they can spread lyme disease and are dangerous for humans.

Not ticks...mites.

Last years straw bought in Meath.The birds are free ranging so they have a hole dug that they dust in each day.Like I said I could of had them for years and never noticed them but because their numbers are huge I'm only seeing it now.
    I went and got the powder yesterday and 2 cans of lice and tick spray for dogs.Cleaned both sheds out and sprayed and put powder down.Hopefully that might do the job.
    Maybe a cold spell might kill them in the straw bales?.

• Advertisement

flos1964 wrote: »
    They will suck the blood from the hens and drive them crazy...had a running battle with them using the powders and found it hopeless...now i give them 3 to 4 drops of eprinex between the shoulders and it works great everytime ...hope this helps.

.Thats just the pour on for cattle or is there a bird specific one.Thanks.

The cattle one...i thought the same but it works great...just little drops from a dropper ...i done all the things you did but did not work for me...see how the powder works first...

If you end up using the drops pull the feathers apart and put the drops on the skin...not sure what the egg withdrawal period will be but it never bothered us after a few days...at least thats what we think...lol.

Advertisement