Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Haven't been to a dentist in 10 yesrs

• 05-09-2020 6:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭

Im 31 now and I haven't been to a dentist since I was 21 and I know I need a lot of work for sure, but I've kept putting it off cause I might not able to afford it and I also get very anxious about the whole situation. I've just left it too long now.

I've been struggling to find full time work all throughout my twenty's and now with the pandemic I've had my hours cut in my part time job. How do people pay for dental work if you haven't much money saved up? My front tooth is going to fall out on its own soon or it'll need to be taken out and I know that I'll need something to replace it I also think that I might need my wisdom teeth taken out I can't be sure until I get to see a dentist.

When I was younger I fell off a skateboard and smashed my face on concrete and knocked out my front tooth. At the time the dentist just put it back in and told me it should be ok for a few years and to come back and get it checked and that was when I was 21 but in the last year or so it's gotten very shaky and the gum has reseeded and I'm getting very anxious about it. I even cancelled a first date because it looks so bad now when I smile :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭SuziXX

Hi Keithkk16

Have you got a medical card? Med card will cover check up and a couple of fillings and any extractions you may need, possibly more complicated with the wisdom teeth though. If not you can ring a dental practice with your prsi number and see if you qualify for a free check up, then you will know what you need and how much it will cost.
    It may not be as bad as you think and if it is at least you will know and you can start chipping away at it one thing at a time/start saving/ get a loan.
    Explain to the receptionist you haven’t been to a dentist in years and suspect you need a lot of work and want to see where you stand. They’re well used to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

I was the same as you, but hadn't gone to dentist in 15 years. I was so embarrassed and kept putting it off. When I eventually plucked up the courage to go, I felt so much better after it. Most treatments you can pay for in installments. Also if you pay PRSI you are entitled to a check up and clean every year.

Advertisement