Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planning on 40ms extension

Options
  • 04-09-2020 5:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Hi, we are thinking of building a 40ms extension to the rear of house. We are keeping it at this size to avoid planning. We also will be looking for a mortgage or a loan to complete the extension but our engineer tells us the lender will look for planning on this before approval for loan.
    Is this true, we didn't think we would need planning.
    Thanks

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,383 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Hi, we are thinking of building a 40ms extension to the rear of house. We are keeping it at this size to avoid planning. We also will be looking for a mortgage or a loan to complete the extension but our engineer tells us the lender will look for planning on this before approval for loan.
    Thanks

The lender won't look for planning if it's planning exempt, I don't know what the engineer is referring to.

You only require a letter from your engineer confirming, before the works commence, that the works are exempt from planning

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Thanks

The mortgage provider will not release funds until Planning is granted. They basically don’t want any of their funding to be used on the planning process.

But, if yours is exempt, then the engineer should be ticking the box on the funds form to say it’s exempt and then the funds can be released.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Hagimalone

Apply for planning exemption to your Council-section 5 application

Hagimalone wrote: »
    Apply for planning exemption to your Council-section 5 application

That’s not a planning exemption. And it’s not required. It also takes 5 weeks.

A section 5 is where you ask the council if they described works you put on the form constitute development and therefore, is planning required.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Hagimalone

Gumbo wrote:
    That’s not a planning exemption. And it’s not required. It also takes 5 weeks.
    You must of seen the plans, to be sure that planning isn't required. I thought that was the purpose of the section 5 to confirm that planning isn't required. 4 weeks

• Advertisement

Hagimalone wrote: »
    You must of seen the plans, to be sure that planning isn't required. I thought that was the purpose of the section 5 to confirm that planning isn't required. 4 weeks

2 points you need to read again and understand.

1. The OP stated planning is not required.
    We are keeping it at this size to avoid planning.

2. You are misquoting me. I posted that a Section 5 application is not required as their engineer can issue a cert of exemption.

The purpose of a Section 5 is as per my previous post. To determine is the proposal as described on the form constitutes development works and there requires planning.

Advertisement