Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a restaurant

Options
  • 04-09-2020 5:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭

my wife and i are visiting Galway for the first time in years on Saturday night - we're celebrating our 20th wedding anniversary. (and getting a night away/out without the kids for the first time since before christmas!)

can anyone recommend a good restaurant, city centre?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,983 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

ablelocks wrote: »
    my wife and i are visiting Galway for the first time in years on Saturday night - we're celebrating our 20th wedding anniversary. (and getting a night away/out without the kids for the first time since before christmas!)

Depends on what you want really. Aniar and Loam are excellent but as they're Michelin starred they're not for everyone. Kai, Il Vicolo and The Pullman in Glenlo are highly recommended. For something more casual you've Ruibin, The Universal, Papa Rich in Born, Asian Tea House, Dela, Rouge and Neo. Check to see if they're all open, not 100% since Covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Ozark2020

Kirwans Lane seafood bar and grill - fab

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Kai or Il Vicilo would be my top 2 choices. Both excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

Depends on what you're after. Kai and Ard Bia are both very good. Loam has re-opened if you want Michelin star (its not stupid expensive at about €70 for a tasting menu). Dela and Cava are two other very good options

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭ablelocks

went with Il Vicilo - excellent meal and staff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Mr Man

If you can stretch it go for Loam. The 7 course tasting with wine paring is €119 p/h.
    You won't be stuffed stupid but you will be talking about the food for a long time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭LostDuck

+1 for Loam for splurging on a special occasion. A great experience.

By the way Aniar is remaining closed this year, until at least March 2020. They probably don't have the space to function profitably with social distancing. Fingers crossed they reopen... haven't been and sitting on a big voucher to use!

Edit: Just saw you've already been and dined @ Il Vicilo!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Another one for Loam. First time I went to a place that had a Chef with a Michelin star and thought, yeah this place is very different alright. I can understand it getting speciali recognition.

It's also perfect for COVID times. Part of the experience was that they didn't have many tables and kept people far apart so you had your privacy. When I was there, the ambient music seemed to flow with the meal. There was pollen ice cream and the music got a bit more frantic like a buzzing bee.

Reading that myself, I'd think I wouldn't go for that kind of thing. It's a bit up it's own arse but it wasn't. I was in there with my brother in-law. I was wearing a hoody and jeans. I didn't feel out of place and wasn't made to feel it by the staff. The food was good. The complete experience was memorable.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I must try Loam, I always hear good things about it.

I've been to Aniar a few times and I wasn't mad on it tbh. Its very expensive but I don't think the setting warrants the expense. The food was good (but small!) and service was excellent. But it feels like a cafe.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭GalwayGaillimh

Remember asking for milk and sugar for the coffee in Loam and was told would be such a shame to spoil the coffee the beans apparently they were picked by a father and son team in Guatemala.. yes very tasty but would still definitely have room for supermacs after :-)

Si Deus Nobiscum Qui Contra Nos

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Remember asking for milk and sugar for the coffee in Loam and was told would be such a shame to spoil the coffee the beans apparently they were picked by a father and son team in Guatemala.. yes very tasty but would still definitely have room for supermacs after :-)

I remember having something really similar happen when asking for a small tweak in what came with a dish for dietary reasons with a colleague. It's less classy to roll your eyes than to just bring the extra item, whether or not it's a perfect fit. It was only one staff member though, the rest were very friendly, but I'd prefer to spend more money in Kai or Ard Bia, even though some friends adore Loam.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

I was in there the other week and they also suggested to try it without milk and sugar as it is different from what you would normally get. But dropped down both in case I wanted it. They were right.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭fearruanua

was in Il vicolo for the first time last friday night. Loved it. Staff were fantastic and the grub was delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,802 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Gorgeous meals in Galway last weekend

Il vicolo and ard bia. Had booked loam but changed it due to the time restrictions. Didn’t want to be rushed in tasting menu and all trip advisor reviews said they felt rushed

Ard bia was probably the nicest meal I had had in ages. Atmosphere was just so lovely, staff were so nice and it was just such a lovely night! Could totally switch off about the pandemic that night which I have found hard when dining out since

• Registered Users Posts: 27 t.singh1

Loam

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭fearruanua

ablelocks wrote: »

so??where did ye go???

Advertisement