Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric fence insulators

Options
  • 04-09-2020 2:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭

Looking around for the long insulators locally and the cheapest I could pick up were €1 an insulator.Looked online and found shockrite uk selling them at 100 for €50.Got them delivered this morning and they are no different to the forcefield ones selling for €10 a bag of 10.
    Also a few weeks ago got the 1.2j battery operated fencer off them and my god it gives a fair wack off a charged battery.My pony touched it once now he wont come within 5 feet of the wire.
    Delivery is free with everything bought on the site too.Im not connected to the business I just think they have prices.
    https://www.shockrite.co.uk/product/ring-distance-insulators/

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Asus1 wrote: »
    Looking around for the long insulators locally and the cheapest I could pick up were €1 an insulator.Looked online and found shockrite uk selling them at 100 for €50.Got them delivered this morning and they are no different to the forcefield ones selling for €10 a bag of 10.
    Also a few weeks ago got the 1.2j battery operated fencer off them and my god it gives a fair wack off a charged battery.My pony touched it once now he wont come within 5 feet of the wire.
    Delivery is free with everything bought on the site too.Im not connected to the business I just think they have good prices.

It's called the Paddy factor. Any kind of spare part or consumable has it added on, or in this case x2 I just hope brexit will allow free trade after 31st December.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Asus1

blue5000 wrote: »
    It's called the Paddy factor. Any kind of spare part or consumable has it added on, or in this case x2 I just hope brexit will allow free trade after 31st December.

Indeed hard to buy local when its such a price difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Micey.ie

Delivery is free with everything bought on the site too.Im not connected to the business I just think they have prices.

What kind of battery have you connected to fencer? I have forcefield fencer and not great and sore on the 9v batteries,at €18 a pop there not cheap.Was looking at shockrite solar energisers too,wonder how they rate to other brands

Micey.ie wrote: »
    What kind of battery have you connected to fencer? I have forcefield fencer and not great and sore on the 9v batteries,at €18 a pop there not cheap.Was looking at shockrite solar energisers too,wonder how they rate to other brands

Battery out of a 1.9 diesel mondeo.Its not new but I get around 2/3 weeks out of it.Its so strong that the tester I use has little red lights up to 10000v and this doesn't light them up it just makes the tester vibrate in your hand.First time I used it I thought it had destroyed the tester.
    https://www.shockrite.co.uk/product/shockrite-srb120/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭epfff

Battery out of a 1.9 diesel mondeo.Its not new but I get around 2/3 weeks out of it.Its so strong that the tester I use has little red lights up to 10000v and this doesn't light them up it just makes the tester vibrate in your hand.First time I used it I thought it had destroyed the tester.
    https://www.shockrite.co.uk/product/shockrite-srb120/
    I have 2 of them 1.2j 12v shock rite fencers they controlled bulls on 2 different out farms for last 4 years (both decided to die in last month but got no love) I use a 10w solar panal with the and get away with charging the battery maybe twice in grazing season.

I have 4 12v batteries solar panels and fences on the go here during summer so always have a battery on charger in shed. My advice is always have spares ready for off.
    Bought 4 heavy batteries from local breaker for €100 here back in April. Dorped the old ones into recycle and got 56 for 5 of them so they defo cost effective way of fence on out farm but still not as good as mains.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,054 ✭✭✭davidk1394

What type insulators did you go for ? Need a lot of fencing equipment including gap handles and insulators.

davidk1394 wrote: »
    What type insulators did you go for ? Need a lot of fencing equipment including gap handles and insulators.

I went for the long screw in insulators,if you buy 100 they give you the free tool for driving them into the post.
    https://www.shockrite.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/Electric-Fence-Energiser-long-Insulator.jpg

epfff wrote: »
    I have 2 of them 1.2j 12v shock rite fencers they controlled bulls on 2 different out farms for last 4 years (both decided to die in last month but got no love) I use a 10w solar panal with the and get away with charging the battery maybe twice in grazing season.

I have 4 12v batteries solar panels and fences on the go here during summer so always have a battery on charger in shed. My advice is always have spares ready for off.
    Bought 4 heavy batteries from local breaker for €100 here back in April. Dorped the old ones into recycle and got 56 for 5 of them so they defo cost effective way of fence on out farm but still not as good as mains.

Good idea i have a fair few car batteries knocking about must drop them into breakers.Since you have used them are the panels worth the money for winter use,as in do they keep the battery ticking over.To get 4 years out of them in our damp weather is fairly good as they are less than €80 so only cost €20 a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭9935452

Indeed hard to buy local when its such a price difference.

This is normally where the do gooders appear suggesting you should spend a bit extra and buy local. Keep the local business going in the tough times. Etc.

But when you get savings like that its hard not to take them .
    I got a quote of 260 for brake shoes for a twin axel ifor williams. Bought online for 90 euro for genuine knott parts

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Bumpkins

Hi Asus. I'm thinking of getting the shockrite 1.2j fencer and was wondering how you're getting on with yours? I can't say no when it comes to saving some money :) Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Screw in or steeple ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭djmc

I often buy online amazon ebay aliexpress for stuff for the farm and always cheaper than local, I got a battery fencer for 100 euro cheaper than in Ireland and they are always made in the same place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭minerleague

djmc wrote: »
    I often buy online amazon ebay aliexpress for stuff for the farm and always cheaper than local, I got a battery fencer for 100 euro cheaper than in Ireland and they are always made in the same place.

Know you're right but where does it end? No retail in richer countries? How can we complain about cheap food imports? Don't know myself, tariffs to even out costs of living between different parts of the world??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭trixi2011

There's a website Voss or electricfence.co.uk . Have used there stuff quite a bit found them very good on price

Advertisement