Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solar PV for a house with solar thermal

Options
  • 04-09-2020 12:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭

Hello

I have solar thermal on my roof but I would like to add solar PV, I don't think I would fit 6panels on my roof. Has anyone fit solar PV panels in their walls, if so did it still work?

Anthony

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,049 ✭✭✭✭unkel

I'm the same. Had my attic converted, so have 3 large velux windows. Then I got solar thermal (40 tubes) and a few years later I wanted solar PV but there was only space left for 5 panels. I added another 5 panels on my kitchen extension roof and 4 on my shed. Where there's a roof, a solar PV panel can go :D

And indeed, you could fit them vertically to a wall. You'll have a good bit less electricity in summer, but the same in winter

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭bobboberson

unkel wrote: »
    I'm the same. Had my attic converted, so have 3 large velux windows. Then I got solar thermal (40 tubes) and a few years later I wanted solar PV but there was only space left for 5 panels. I added another 5 panels on my kitchen extension roof and 4 on my shed. Where there's a roof, a solar PV panel can go :D

And indeed, you could fit them vertically to a wall. You'll have a good bit less electricity in summer, but the same in winter

Thanks for that unkel.

I have a feeling your roof maybe bigger then mine but I think I'll get the mesuring tape out and see that I can make work.

The 50cm from the edge of the roof maybe an issue but I'll see what I can make work.

Anthony

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭bobboberson

Hey folks

So I have had to companies come out to look at the house one has said I could put 3/4 panels in the back roof but there is not point in putting them on the front.

The second company said I could get 3/4 on the back but that there was no issues on putting some on the front also.

Does anyone have thoughts on panels on the front on a house.

The back of the house face south east

Anthony

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭air

It all depends on how far North of West your house faces.
    My own house is about 10 degrees North of East & I get useful production from early morning to early afternoon from the 11 panels I have there.

It's desirable in generaly to have a good spread of panels facing East, West & South.

Advertisement