Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
New AMA with a US police officer (he's back!). You can ask your questions here

Solar PV for a house with solar thermal

• 04-09-2020 12:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭ bobboberson

Hello

I have solar thermal on my roof but I would like to add solar PV, I don't think I would fit 6panels on my roof. Has anyone fit solar PV panels in their walls, if so did it still work?

Anthony

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 58,874 CMod ✭✭✭✭ unkel

I'm the same. Had my attic converted, so have 3 large velux windows. Then I got solar thermal (40 tubes) and a few years later I wanted solar PV but there was only space left for 5 panels. I added another 5 panels on my kitchen extension roof and 4 on my shed. Where there's a roof, a solar PV panel can go :D

And indeed, you could fit them vertically to a wall. You'll have a good bit less electricity in summer, but the same in winter

"Wind is Ireland's oil" - An Taoiseach, 25/05/2022

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭ bobboberson

unkel wrote: »
    I'm the same. Had my attic converted, so have 3 large velux windows. Then I got solar thermal (40 tubes) and a few years later I wanted solar PV but there was only space left for 5 panels. I added another 5 panels on my kitchen extension roof and 4 on my shed. Where there's a roof, a solar PV panel can go :D

And indeed, you could fit them vertically to a wall. You'll have a good bit less electricity in summer, but the same in winter

Thanks for that unkel.

I have a feeling your roof maybe bigger then mine but I think I'll get the mesuring tape out and see that I can make work.

The 50cm from the edge of the roof maybe an issue but I'll see what I can make work.

Anthony

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭ bobboberson

Hey folks

So I have had to companies come out to look at the house one has said I could put 3/4 panels in the back roof but there is not point in putting them on the front.

The second company said I could get 3/4 on the back but that there was no issues on putting some on the front also.

Does anyone have thoughts on panels on the front on a house.

The back of the house face south east

Anthony

• Registered Users Posts: 2,820 ✭✭✭ air

It all depends on how far North of West your house faces.
    My own house is about 10 degrees North of East & I get useful production from early morning to early afternoon from the 11 panels I have there.

It's desirable in generaly to have a good spread of panels facing East, West & South.

Advertisement