Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grant condensing boiler water hand hot after 1 hour , what might be the problem pleas

Options
  • 04-09-2020 10:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi my Grant condensing boiler is 3 yrs old and heats my rads very well, however when I need hot water only It only produces hand hot after 1 hour , Anyone know if this is normal ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭John.G

No, not normal, even with a cold cylinder one should have hand hot after 15/20 minutes and 60C after 45/60 mins.
    Have you a zoned motorised valve controlling this temp via a cylinder stat?. there may also be a valve on the coill return low down on the cylinder side, ensure this is fully open, (about 3 to 4 turns anti clockwise), close it, then open it one full turn and see how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Kaygey

John.G wrote: »
    No, not normal, even with a cold cylinder one should have hand hot after 15/20 minutes and 60C after 45/60 mins.
    Have you a zoned motorised valve controlling this temp via a cylinder stat?. there may also be a valve on the coill return low down on the cylinder side, ensure this is fully open, (about 3 to 4 turns anti clockwise), close it, then open it one full turn and see how you get on.

Thank you John for your response , I dont use the boiler very much as have a woodburning stove that heats rads & water, do you think it should be commissioned as my installer said I should when he installed which I never got around to doing, ?

Since (if) its producing some hot water then it must be connected into the system so IMO, well worth commissioning.

John.G wrote: »
    Since (if) its producing some hot water then it must be connected into the system so IMO, well worth commissioning.

Thank you again, did look it up to no avail on grant site , is it done by grant or other ?
    Any idea how much commissioning costs , ?

Get a plumber to have a look and he will give you a idea of cost. If you could post a few pics of the hot water cylinder and any pipes coming from the side, it will give us a better idea of what work may be needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭jimf

if its heating the rads very well it sounds like you may have a balancing valve on the cylinder

or does the cylinder have a stat that is set too low just guessing

but as john already says above these are too things that need looking at

as far as getting the boiler commissioned now not worth it really but a good service would def be in order

jimf wrote: »
    if its heating the rads very well it sounds like you may have a balancing valve on the cylinder

or does the cylinder have a stat that is set too low just guessing

but as john already says above these are too things that need looking at

as far as getting the boiler commissioned now not worth it really but a good service would def be in order

Thank you also Jim , the stat is set @65°; nd today I sent reply from John to a dear friend that services my car , and u name it ,( no not that ) :) He checked boiler last year nd said flame was blue nd looked good ,
    I had serviced my old Riello boiler for last 10 yrs , The grant I haven't studied as regards servicing /cleaning the baffles nd thingy for spraying the kerosene !!!! Oh Nozzle .. like I said I dont use it much but would like to get hot water ..not hand hot after an hour when needed.... as hard water I suspect fouled my inversion within I year of moving into totally refurbed cottage !!! Tnx guys ..Ill try putting yellow box underneath slider into manual position moro nd see wats outcome ..xxx

• Registered Users Posts: 12,755 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Didn’t read the thread. Does the stove get hot when the oil boiler is on?

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Didn’t read the thread. Does the stove get hot when the oil boiler is on?

Why might one use boiler when inset stove heats rads also supplies ample hot water ??

Kaygey wrote: »
    Thank you also Jim , the stat is set @65°; nd today I sent reply from John to a dear friend that services my car , and u name it ,( no not that ) :) He checked boiler last year nd said flame was blue nd looked good ,
    I had serviced my old Riello boiler for last 10 yrs , The grant I haven't studied as regards servicing /cleaning the baffles nd thingy for spraying the kerosene !!!! Oh Nozzle .. like I said I dont use it much but would like to get hot water ..not hand hot after an hour when needed.... as hard water I suspect fouled my inversion within I year of moving into totally refurbed cottage !!! Tnx guys ..Ill try putting yellow box underneath slider into manual position moro nd see wats outcome ..xxx

Managed to get slider to lock when stat turned to 0 . Defenitely seems hotter after 30 mins ...but didnt use gauge to determine ...

• Advertisement

The yellow box you are referring to is probably the motorised valve actuator for the cylinder coil, when the cylinder stat is at 0 then the actuator is closed and you should then feel a bit of resistance while pulling the slider and then latching (locking) it in, you have the opened the motorised valve manually.....if you now turn the stat setting up fully for a few seconds and then back to zero then you should find that the slider has to be manually pulled/locked again, if so then the stat is working correctly and the cylinder should heat up at the same rate until the set point temperature is reached.

The reason you might use your boiler is for convenience and much faster heat up time for your rads/room/hot water if working correctly, also you don't want to light the stove in the summer just to heat the cylinder.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,755 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Kaygey wrote: »
    Why might one use boiler when inset stove heats rads also supplies ample hot water ??

I didn’t suggest you use both. I asked does the stove get hot when the oil boiler is on

Advertisement