Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking to Query a route

Options
  • 04-09-2020 10:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks, looking for a bit of advice about a particular route if someone can help. Im helping to plot out routes for a charity cycle that hopefully will be taking place soon, and one of the stretches goes from McDonalds on the Kinsale Road in Cork, to McDonalds in Blackpool Shopping Centre.

When i use Strava to suggest a route it tries bringing me down the N27 South Link Road, which i wouldn't have thought would be the best road to travel with a number of cyclists cycling together in the late afternoon.

Google maps is giving two options, one along the n27 as mentioned, and the other is suggesting I go down Kinsale Road > Curragh Road > Douglas Street > Rutland Street > South Terrace > South Mall > Parnell Place > Merchants Quay

I know that no matter what we will have to cross the Lee and head up the N20.

I've attached what i would think would be the better one, avoiding the South Link, but would abyone have ay other suggestions?

https://imgur.com/a/RoYGLSy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,964 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

...When i use Strava to suggest a route it tries bringing me down the N27 South Link Road...
    Have you the Strava route setting at 'Most Direct' rather than 'Most Popular'?

You can also plot the route manually - junction to junction.

(Sorry I don't really know the area so I can't comment on actual routes).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Have you the Strava route setting at 'Most Direct' rather than 'Most Popular'?

You can also plot the route manually - junction to junction.

(Sorry I don't really know the area so I can't comment on actual routes).

Thanks, I had it at most popular, most direct is showing a TOTALLY different route so i'll have a looksee at that.

The only thing is that we'll also have support vehicles with us so we have to use roads, not just cycleways

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

Thanks, I had it at most popular, most direct is showing a TOTALLY different route so i'll have a looksee at that.

The only thing is that we'll also have support vehicles with us so we have to use roads, not just cycleways

Try cycle.travel

It's a short enough route, is it a group of inexperienced cyclists?

On north side, North Gate Bridge, Shandon street, Blackpool William OBrien street would be my guess. I'll plot something later

Try cycle.travel

It's a short enough route, is it a group of inexperienced cyclists?

On north side, North Gate Bridge, Shandon street, Blackpool William OBrien street would be my guess. I'll plot something later

It's short enough, but by that stage in the day we'll have done about 200KM!
    Most of them would be experienced, but there may be one or two 'lay people' to coin a phrase

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

It's short enough, but by that stage in the day we'll have done about 200KM!
    Most of them would be experienced, but there may be one or two 'lay people' to coin a phrase

With distance I thought it was going to be young very inexperienced cyclists.

Stick together, take the lane and go main road.

• Advertisement

With distance I thought it was going to be young very inexperienced cyclists.

Stick together, take the lane and go main road.

Ok. By the time we get there it’ll be late afternoon though. I know I’ll be causing a rolling roadblock through the city centre anyway , so in for a penny, in for a pound!

Advertisement