Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ESB upgrade

Options
  • 03-09-2020 5:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone, I am going changing the milk tank to a 5hp compressor, I'm currently on 16kva . Barely stong enough for what I have already. What's the story about getting more power

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Talk to your electrician to see your requirements and get on to esb networks for a quote. Are you near a 3 phase line? If so it may be worth getting 3 phase as opposed to just upgrading the single phase

• Registered Users Posts: 29,308 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Hi everyone, I am going changing the milk tank to a 5hp compressor, I'm currently on 16kva . Barely stong enough for what I have already. What's the story about getting more power

I got my own transformer in about 10 years ago. Great job. It wasn't that expensive. My electrician had contacts in esb and got the job sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭degetme

whelan2 wrote: »
    I got my own transformer in about 10 years ago. Great job. It wasn't that expensive. My electrician had contacts in esb and got the job sorted.

What does having your own transformer do? There is a transformer on the pole nearest my parlour. Got an upgrade the other day to 29kva single phase for the new parlour. Had only 12kva

degetme wrote: »
    What does having your own transformer do? There is a transformer on the pole nearest my parlour. Got an upgrade the other day to 29kva single phase for the new parlour. Had only 12kva

It only supplies me. I had been on a transformer shared with half the village. Not sure of the capacity of it. I am ready to go to 3phase when I build my new milking parlour. Poles are in place as they had to move poles when I built the shed

• Registered Users Posts: 33,841 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Ehhh it sets you up easily to fight the decepticons .

Obviously.

• Advertisement

whelan2 wrote: »
    It only supplies me. I had been on a transformer shared with half the village. Not sure of the capacity of it. I am ready to go to 3phase when I build my new milking parlour. Poles are in place as they had to move poles when I built the shed

Ya I didn't know what to do with three phase. It wasn't massive more in cost to what I have but talking to a few electricians they said I didn't need it. I put in a variable speed drive for the vacuum pump. Very quiet now to milk with

There's a business park across the road from me and 3 phase line goes across my fields. Wasnt too expensive to get it there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭older by the day

I must talk to the electrician, was an upgrade expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

3 phase upgrade here was 2.5k to esb networks, line was very close tho, upgrading the single phase would have cost 1800 i think. 4 or 5 years ago now

I must talk to the electrician, was an upgrade expensive

5.5k three phase to 2k single phase

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭pms7

HAve 16 here, changed from 2.5hp IC to 5hp DX, got following quote

20Kva single phase 125Amp ESB Fuse – With a underground cable direct from the parlour to the EXISTING transformer = €1,814 Inc Vat

29Kva single phase 160 Amp ESB Fuse – With a NEW transformer by the passageway and a underground cable direct to the parlour = €2,587.90 Inc Vat.

both transformers about 60M from parlour, of course existing setup is into house first then to parlour which is not the best, other way around if change

So far no problems so I'll chance on as long as I can, if I'm need to upgrade and stuck while waiting can turn off tank while milking.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,133 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Ya I didn't know what to do with three phase. It wasn't massive more in cost to what I have but talking to a few electricians they said I didn't need it. I put in a variable speed drive for the vacuum pump. Very quiet now to milk with

Put in 3 phase if u can at all 3 phase motors cheaper to buy and run

Advertisement