Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exterior Door handle

Options
  • 03-09-2020 2:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭

Hi Folks,

Unsure if this is the correct location for this query - here goes!

My front door outside handle is a brass type finish - installed for 4 years. I have tried my best to clean it without using abrasive subsistence - see attached.

Anyone know of what I could try to clean it - the elements are having a field day with it and it looks unsightly!

Thanks for looking.

Comments

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

If it's solid brass, then a scotchbrite pad and brasso would do it. If it's just brass plating though, it may have pitted the plating - hard to tell really from the photo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭jack of all

That's not a great photo to be fair, but I reckon it's a die cast handle with a yellow zinc finish or perhaps an aluminum alloy with an anodised finish. You could try polishing gently with some autosol but I reckon your best bet is to clean it with some WD40 and a cotton rag and just accept it.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭coxy123

Thanks for suggestion. I'm not sure what type of material it is - I'll post another photo tomorrow for reference. Whatever is happening it's bloody stubborn to remove!

Advertisement