Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbour with suspected TB

Options
  • 03-09-2020 2:13pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,704 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Was trying to fix up a feeder in the yard when a neighbour called in this morning. After the usual chat, he got down to business and said he sent a few bullocks to the factory a few weeks ago and one of them showed up something in his throat.

He has to wait now to hear if it’s TB or not, but he thought me and other neighbours would be somehow restricted if he’s locked up.

I didn’t think this was the case but cattle are new to me and he’s been suckling with 40 years so I’m not sure now.

Does a farmer being locked up affect his neighbours when it comes to them selling cattle in the mart?

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

The department could restrict you pending you having a clear herd test but it depends on the circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Was trying to fix up a feeder in the yard when a neighbour called in this morning. After the usual chat, he got down to business and said he sent a few bullocks to the factory a few weeks ago and one of them showed up something in his throat.

He has to wait now to hear if it’s TB or not, but he thought me and other neighbours would be somehow restricted if he’s locked up.

I didn’t think this was the case but cattle are new to me and he’s been suckling with 40 years so I’m not sure now.

Does a farmer being locked up affect his neighbours when it comes to them selling cattle in the mart?

Local dairy farmer had 26 reactors at a test last week and all bounding neighbor's are locked up now, saying that we had a neighbor lose 8 bollocks to tb and we weren't restricted last year but our test date was just after he went down which we where clear at, I think all outbreaks are managed differently depending if their is more then one farm in the area gone down

• Registered Users Posts: 29,308 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

I am locked up now pending results of lesions in a heifer in the factory. Nothing has been said to my neighbours by the department. You'll have to wait until he gets the results from the lab which apparently can take up to 10 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 18,533 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

whelan2 wrote: »
    I am locked up now pending results of lesions in a heifer in the factory. Nothing has been said to my neighbours by the department. You'll have to wait until he gets the results from the lab which apparently can take up to 10 weeks

10 weeks is a massive wait !!
    Allot can happen in 10 weeks.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Usually the longer you wait with a culture test the less likely there's TB.

OP I think your neighbour was doing you a favour by letting you know he has a problem early. It gives you a chance to sell before things get worse IYKWIM.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,527 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Ya pretty much, you could be put on 4 month tests like a lot of people around here are if you are bordering a reactor herd. If you have tested within the last 4 months they can't lock your herd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

_Brian wrote: »

That's the nature of TB. It doubles in numbers every 24 hours so it will take weeks to grow enough to confirm a positive result. Other bacteria can double in numbers every 15 minutes, like E.Coli.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,704 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Thanks for the replies.

I’ve heard nothing from Dept and the neighbour was just being friendly (he’s my uncle and we get on very well) coz he knows I bought 12 FR bullocks for the first time back in May. They’re year-and-a-halfs.

I was going to put them in a yard I have and feed them bales in a round feeder, but I haven’t wintered cattle before so this was going to be a trial to see how I’d manage as much as anything else.

With prices going OK and 20-ish weanlings to feed as well, selling the dozen bullocks might be the best move now in case I get stuck with them and feeding becomes a time-consuming mess.

And prices drop!

Thanks a million again for the info

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

_Brian wrote: »

Longer it goes, the less likely it is to be positive in general. Might have to wait up to 12 weeks to get an answer off em

• Registered Users Posts: 22,266 ✭✭✭✭endacl

jaymla627 wrote: »
    we had a neighbor lose 8 bollocks to tb
    :eek: :eek: :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

And then they come back inconclusive.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,239 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

jaymla627 wrote: »
    Local dairy farmer had 26 reactors at a test last week and all bounding neighbor's are locked up now, saying that we had a neighbor lose 8 bollocks to tb and we weren't restricted last year but our test date was just after he went down which we where clear at, I think all outbreaks are managed differently depending if their is more then one farm in the area gone down

That's a load of bollocks ............ to be losing

Advertisement