Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

First guitar

• 03-09-2020 11:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭

Hi, I'm starting lessons soon so I'll be buying my fist guitar in the next few days, from Google I see the fender cd60s or the v3 seem to be the best beginner guitar, but when I was looking in a shop ( they didn't have the fenders ) I noticed an aira 111 that I liked the feel of but I can find v little about them online, here is a link to one https://rhythmandstrums.ie/product/aria-111-guitar/
    Can anybody reconmend either one or a similar or better guitar for around 100-300? thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Hoagy

Any of the guitars you mention will be fine, they are all good quality. There is no point spending €300 on a beginner guitar.

The Yamaha F310 is also excellent.

The ones you are looking at are all dreadnought bodies, you might consider a slightly smaller concert body which is easier to handle like this one

https://www.goodwinsmusic.ie/acoustic_guitars/beginners_acoustic_guitar/Fender_CC60S_Solid_Spruce_top_guitar

Best of luck with the lessons.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭JohnNightmare

There's that fender again ha ha, I think I'll go to one of the bigger music shops and try the concert one like you said and see how it feels, but either way you reckon the aria is a decent guitar anyway? Thanks for the reply 😎

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

Speaking as an old guy, honestly, you need to look hard to find a bad guitar nowadays.

unless its under €100 it'll be OK.

back in the olden days there were some appalling, unplayable junk out there.

I got my daughter a Martin Smith used off ebay for €50 inc shipping, expecting to have to do a lot of set up work on it, but no, new strings and a little lemon oil on the fingerboard and its a great guitar. (note I didn't say great "beginner" guitar!)

Welcome to the journey, and remember, you can NEVER have too many guitars!!!

I suppose that's v true 😂 , we will say your an experienced player rather than old 😎, I'll go try out a few on Monday and go with what feels comfortable,
    Thanks for the help 😎

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭pearcider

I’d get a good guitar as it will make learning far more enjoyable and easier. The hundred euro guitars are that price for a reason.

But I would definitely go used on adverts or donedeal and try and get a bargain in the 300-400 euro range.

This should give you a guitar you will love for life.

• Advertisement

Aria's are a nice guitar..

pearcider wrote: »
    I’d get a good guitar as it will make learning far more enjoyable and easier. The hundred euro guitars are that price for a reason.

But I would definitely go used on adverts or donedeal and try and get a bargain in the 300-400 euro range.

This should give you a guitar you will love for life.
    Any particular guitar too look out for? I was thinking about adverts but going the cheap way as in there was richwoods for sale for 50e they are 150 new, least if I didn't take to guitar I spent feck all but I scrapped that idea fairly quickly since I'm paying for lessons I'll get a decent guitar to give myself every chance of learning.

Aria's are a nice guitar..

Must say I did like the 111 modle 😎

You have to kind of connect with a guitar..get one that feels right, that's nice to play to you.. that matters way more than anyone on the internet telling you what's a good guitar..the cheap fenders are ok..the takamines are nice..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭pearcider

Any particular guitar too look out for? I was thinking about adverts but going the cheap way as in there was richwoods for sale for 50e they are 150 new, least if I didn't take to guitar I spent feck all but I scrapped that idea fairly quickly since I'm paying for lessons I'll get a decent guitar to give myself every chance of learning.

I would go for a Tanglewood TW series or a Takamine G series. Both sound great providing they are in good condition. Something in the asking price 300-400 range. Obviously you should ask for a discount when buying used or get a case and stand with it. They are high quality but forgiving on the learner.

• Advertisement

pearcider wrote: »
    I would go for a Tanglewood or a Takamine. They are high quality but forgiving on the learner.

The shop I was in had the crossroad model they were around the 200 mark I thiink,

You have to kind of connect with a guitar..get one that feels right, that's nice to play to you.. that matters way more than anyone on the internet telling you what's a good guitar..the cheap fenders are ok..the takamines are nice..

Yeah I completely get what you are saying, my problem is I can only go with how the guitar feels, if I had it narrowed down to 2 I was going to ask the person in the shop to play both than decide that way 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

Buy a Yamaha F310. They are a steal. Comfy neck, slightly shorter scale length to easier on fingers, sound great. They’re ridiculous value for money.
    If you intend to move to electric maybe consider starting on one. Easier on the fingers, easier to get chords to ring, variation of tones keep the interest and you play them unplugged very quietly. The received wisdom of always starting on acoustic really is without foundation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

il gatto wrote: »
    Buy a Yamaha F310. They are a steal. Comfy neck, slightly shorter scale length to easier on fingers, sound great. They’re ridiculous value for money.

I have one. a very pleasant guitar. you could do a lot worse!

Advertisement