Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Radiator fixings.

Options
  • 02-09-2020 6:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭

Will be Insulating an inside wall of a bedroom with 62mm boards and hanging a rad back on the wall.

Suggestion for long Fixings that would hold a standard rad securly?
    Have seen corefix which look great but not with 62mm.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,927 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

If its plasterboard with foam on the back then why not use long screw & a red plug?

Drill the hole to the required depth ensuring that it's far enough in the concrete to accommodate the plug. Push the plug into place using the long screw. Remove the screw, hold the bracket on the wall & screw in the screw. Easy peasy

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭septictank

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    If its plasterboard with foam on the back then why not use long screw & a red plug?

Drill the hole to the required depth ensuring that it's far enough in the concrete to accommodate the plug. Push the plug into place using the long screw. Remove the screw, hold the bracket on the wall & screw in the screw. Easy peasy

Screws sticking 70mm out from a wall are unsecure, will crack the plaster and it's a kids room so could be a bit of pulling at it.
    Looking at more ideas like the corefix which is great on a drylined wall but not this. Could fix a piece of MDF behind the rad first for extra strength.
    Thanks for the input anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 12,244 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

110/120 mm long 12mm express nails with self tappers into the hole.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,927 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

septictank wrote:
    Screws sticking 70mm out from a wall are unsecure, will crack the plaster and it's a kids room so could be a bit of pulling at it. Looking at more ideas like the corefix which is great on a drylined wall but not this. Could fix a piece of MDF behind the rad first for extra strength. Thanks for the input anyway

No they won't. They will be in the concrete. The weight is spread over the length of the radiator bracket. I'm a plumber myself and have never seen screws & plugs fail in foam board so long as they are long enough to go into the block wall. I've 100mm foamboard in my own home and no problem with screws and plugs over the last 12 or 13 years.

Each to their own. There are plenty of products out there if you don't have confidence in screws and plugs

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭septictank

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    No they won't. They will be in the concrete. The weight is spread over the length of the radiator bracket. I'm a plumber myself and have never seen screws & plugs fail in foam board so long as they are long enough to go into the block wall. I've 100mm foamboard in my own home and no problem with screws and plugs over the last 12 or 13 years.

Each to their own. There are plenty of products out there if you don't have confidence in screws and plugs

I would normally have done what you said but seen a video for corefix and it made sense about cracking the plaster.
    Your a plumber eh, well don't go too far away, I know who I'm calling lol.

Calahonda52, I'll be keeping that one under my hat, great idea, never would have come up with it, cheers.

Thanks lads.

• Advertisement
Advertisement