Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tall tales/White Lies

Options
  • 02-09-2020 6:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭

My 6 year old son is in the habit of telling tall tales. Not major ones, maybe telling his friends he was in a hotel at the weekend (when all we did was went to Lidl to do the shopping) or telling his granny he washed the car with his Daddy (when he didn't) etc

I know there's probably an element of wanting to say he did something more exciting than grocery shopping but at what point should we knock this on the head and explain that it's ok to tell stories but it's not ok to tell lies? Or am I overthinking it?

He went back to school last week and as usual I have anxieties about him having friends and mixing with his peers but I dont want him to alienate himself by telling stories that are quite obviously untrue.
    Thanks in advance for any advice

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

I am a big fan of the Irish psychotherapist Joanna Fortune and she has a podcast episode on this subject. She says it is all developmental so don't panic. All kids do it, it is just about how you respond.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I understand this is absolutely a developmental thing too, it is very normal.Probably like anything with kids if you make a big deal out of it it will become a big thing. I am sure there is advice out there that would be worth looking up for a good strategy, but if mine are doing it I usually say something like "Did we REALLY do that?How about telling what we really did?", in a light-hearted way, not making a show of them if you can avoid it.

Advertisement