Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What tyres to get gsxr1000 ?

Options
  • 02-09-2020 5:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭

That time again , need a new set of tyres , where is the best/cheapest online store to buy them? Not after anything fancy or expensive as I'll only get to drive the bike on sundays due to work etc

Any help appreciated :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Preferred style. Sport or sport touring?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

zubair wrote: »
    Preferred style. Sport or sport touring?

Bit of both but more sport touring, Bridgestone bt016 and bt023 seem good for price

• Registered Users Posts: 12,171 ✭✭✭✭blade1

pudzey101 wrote: »
    Bit of both but more sport touring, Bridgestone bt016 and bt023 seem good for price

I wouldn't bother with the 023's.
    I find they are not great when on the power.
    Bt016 pro a lot better for grip but you will go through them in about half the time.

How hard are you on tyres?

blade1 wrote: »
    I wouldn't bother with the 023's.
    I find they are not great when on the power.
    Bt016 pro a lot better for grip but you will go through them in about half the time.

How hard are you on tyres?

2nd that with the 023s, they like to slip on the power.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭H_Lime

Yous boys are able handlers or on high horsepower mcs to be bothering modern rubber like that! You seriously have them breaking away yeah? My blackbird which is somewhat tuned doesn't bother it's roadsmarts even with provocation, likewise the capo (again "tuned" ) on its pilot roads. Maybe I'm a just a wus:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Pilot Road 3-4 or Road 5 are all good tyres, I find them excellent in the wet which is always good on this Island.
    They are all dual compound IIRC, which means a harder centre section for wear and softer sides for grip when leant over.
    Inline 4's give tyres an easier time, no big power pulses going through the rubber to hammer it like a big grunty twin.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Metzeler Roadtec 01 is a beast of a tyre, the new dunlops are meant to be very good by all accounts.

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Metzeler Roadtec 01 is a beast of a tyre, the new dunlops are meant to be very good by all accounts.

Sounds like the op is looking for a cheaper tyre but if not yeah the 01 would be hard to beat.

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Pilot Road 3-4 or Road 5 are all good tyres, I find them excellent in the wet which is always good on this Island.
    They are all dual compound IIRC, which means a harder centre section for wear and softer sides for grip when leant over.
    Inline 4's give tyres an easier time, no big power pulses going through the rubber to hammer it like a big grunty twin.

I've only used the 3's and found them excellent.
    Actually as a matter of interest to yourself CJ it was my tdm I had them on.
    Felt like they were made especially for it.
    Great in the wet yes!

Can get the bt016 for €177 delivered. Dont use much tyre to be honest as I dont get out enough on the bike

pudzey101 wrote: »
    Can get the bt016 for €177 delivered. Dont use much tyre to be honest as I dont get out enough on the bike
    They'll do fine so and are excellent performing tyres.

• Advertisement

I'd recommend these over anything else. I've never had a tyre break in immediately like these did. Might be above your planned budget though. Pilot roads are great but scallop something awful.
    H_Lime wrote: »
    Yous boys are able handlers or on high horsepower mcs to be bothering modern rubber like that! You seriously have them breaking away yeah? My blackbird which is somewhat tuned doesn't bother it's roadsmarts even with provocation, likewise the capo (again "tuned" ) on its pilot roads. Maybe I'm a just a wus:pac:

Haha, nah, RS3s and pilots are just better, they never slipped on me, that I remember. No difference in how I rode them of course.

I have had numerous PR2s (taught they were brilliant and PR3s went with a set of PR4s then and they were terrible on the front (2 Pairs) as was said they scallop something terrible on the front. By all accounts the PR5s are worse!

The PR5 GTs are not as bad as they are a different compound.

Thinking of the Conti Road Attack 3s for my next set....I dont think the Metzelder are made for my bike 19inch front and 17 rear, must check it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

Bt16s are a fine tire. I went though loads of them.

Wasn't as much a fan of the pro version tho.

I'd see can you can get s20s cheap. There class

Anyone know the main differences between the Metzeler Roadtec 01 and the 01SE, the website isnt even that clear. It says additional handling for naked and supersport bikes and then has a picture of a BMW S1000XR amongst others ffs!

Just trying to figure out if they would suit my KTM 1290 Super Adventure (The 01SE tyres that is)

Anyone know the main differences between the Metzeler Roadtec 01 and the 01SE, the website isnt even that clear. It says additional handling for naked and supersport bikes and then has a picture of a BMW S1000XR amongst others ffs!

Just trying to figure out if they would suit my KTM 1290 Super Adventure (The 01SE tyres that is)

My understanding was the SE was the GT version when I was buying mine, but don't quote me on that.

EDIT: Just looked it up and they are actually replacing the R01 by the looks of it. Same thread pattern so probably not enough to be called the R02.

Thanks lads went for the Bt16s , theres so much choice on tyres its unreal . I suppose it's all down to personal preference:)

zubair wrote: »
    My understanding was the SE was the GT version when I was buying mine, but don't quote me on that.

EDIT: Just looked it up and they are actually replacing the R01 by the looks of it. Same thread pattern so probably not enough to be called the R02.

Really dont think they are a GT tyre Zubair....

GT tyres are usually designed for a heavier bike (not a naked or super sport, as quoted on the website) therefore if the bike is not heavy enough for that tyre you lose grip due to the rubber not being pressed down enough. That's why the likes of the big tourer's have GT tyres on them.

Will deffo have to look into this....cheers

Really dont think they are a GT tyre Zubair....

GT tyres are usually designed for a heavier bike (not a naked or super sport, as quoted on the website) therefore if the bike is not heavy enough for that tyre you lose grip due to the rubber not being pressed down enough. That's why the likes of the big tourer's have GT tyres on them.

Will deffo have to look into this....cheers

I know how tyres work lol

:rolleyes:

Advertisement