Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SCIA Insulation Grants Criteria

Options
  • 02-09-2020 5:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

Hi all, I’m looking for some advice. We are considering improving the insulation in our family home as we are burning a lot of oil and the house loses heat quickly in the winter and is too warm upstairs during the summer. We were quoted E8,500 for foam spraying the attic and eves (crawl space) around the upstairs rooms and an additional 1k for pumping the cavities, so a total of E9,500. While the quote seems high, the space is large. We will get at least one other quote.

The purpose of my post is to try figure out whether anyone knows if the grant criteria is likely to change in the next year or two? Our house was built in 2007, so we don’t currently qualify for a grant. Is there any changes pending relating to this requirement?

I’d hate to spend all that money and miss out on a grant. With the greens in government and with aggressive targets for reducing carbon and plans to drive more home improvements I figure this may change in the future. Perhaps someone on here has heard something?

Our house needs more insulation for sure. This will also improve our BER rating, adding value to the house if we decided to sell in the future. I figure that the insulation work may save us 500E per year based on current oil prices, so the return on investment wouldn’t be great (Nearly 20 years!), but it’s hard to put a price on comfort so not all about ROI. Plus oil prices will inevitably rise.

Many thanks,
    JJ

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,346 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Not grant related but read this thread, is it a dormer?.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭JJ O Malley

Not grant related but read this thread, is it a dormer?.

Yes. It has a hip roof, velux windows upstairs.

Cheers
    JJ

• Registered Users Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

Do you want to:
    a. improve the BER and possibly value of the house with little actual impact on your heat loss / comfort / oil usage?
    or
    b. reduce your heat loss & oil use significantly and improve your comfort with little change to the BER or value?

If "a" then fire ahead
    If "b" then have a heat loss survey done to determine how & where the house is actually losing its heat and then invest accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭JJ O Malley

MicktheMan wrote: »
    Do you want to:
    a. improve the BER and possibly value of the house with little actual impact on your heat loss / comfort / oil usage?
    or
    b. reduce your heat loss & oil use significantly and improve your comfort with little change to the BER or value?

If "a" then fire ahead
    If "b" then have a heat loss survey done to determine how & where the house is actually losing its heat and then invest accordingly.

Thanks for the reply. What would a heat loss survey cost? Upstairs gets particularly cold. I cant imagine they wouldn't recommend foam spray, but guess they would identify some more areas, like the fireplace, doors ambr windows..

Cheers
    John

Advertisement