Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Condensing flue positioning - difference between gas and oil?

Options
  • 02-09-2020 5:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have a potential issue with my next door's new gas condensing boiler. It is on the ground floor, we are terraced and they have a straight out the wall flue. The terminal is at pretty much exactly 300mm from my house. It happens to be exactly level with the vent intake for my downstairs toilet and the vents on two windows along my wall. Now that they have started using it in the colder weather, I am seeing plumes of smoke/condensate drift across all three vents. To make matters worse,on my side this is an internal courtyard type thing so the plume isn't going anywhere fast.

I am trying to figure out what their obligations are. I know they have positioned the flue at the minimum distance from the boundary at 300mm, so I have no complaints there. When I look at the regs, I thought I would be covered by this https://thebuildingregulations.ie/guides/TGD_J/Section_4_Additional_provisions_for_oil_burning_appliances_with_a_rated_output_up_to_45_kW/4_3_Flues/index.html
    which says
    It is necessary to site a condensing boiler flue terminal such that the plume of wet flue products does not impinge on or significantly affect the use of the dwelling and also the neighbouring buildings. Care may need to be taken to locate flue outlets from condensing boilers away from parts of a building that may be damaged by frequent wetting.

But it turns out I had the wrong section and that is only for oil burning boilers. The equivalent section for gas is similar but not quite the same: https://thebuildingregulations.ie/guides/TGD_J/Section_3_Additional_provisions_for_fixed_gas_burning_appliances_with_a_rated_input_up_to_70_kW_and_for_gas_burning_cooking_appliances/3_6_Flues/3_6_4_Outlets_from_flues/index.html
    Consideration may be given to siting a condensing boiler flue terminal such that the plume of wet flue products does not impinge on or significantly affect the use of the dwelling and also the neighbouring buildings.

Care may need to be taken to locate flue outlets from condensing boilers away from parts of a building that may be damaged by frequent wetting.

Does anybody have any thoughts on this? Why would the oil regs say "it is necessary.." and the gas regs say "Consideration may be given..."?

Also, in the event of an actual dispute, is there anyone to turn to to get an evaluation of the situation? i.e. if they just say it meets regs, is there anyway I get a regulatory authority to review that?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

I’ve no idea why there’s a difference. Maybe the fact that oil can become quite sooty if set up incorrectly makes a plume kit more necessary.
    Either way, talking to your neighbour about installing a plume kit is the best way to go. Land on their door with a bunch of regulations Is a bad idea

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Phibsboro

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    I’ve no idea why there’s a difference. Maybe the fact that oil can become quite sooty if set up incorrectly makes a plume kit more necessary.
    Either way, talking to your neighbour about installing a plume kit is the best way to go. Land on their door with a bunch of regulations Is a bad idea

Absolutely yes, just want to know where I stand beforehand. It is rented so it is the landlord's doorstep I'll be landing on rather than theirs.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

The difference I would assume is that there is a 'code of practice' in place for oil, while there is a regulatory standard in place for gas (normally it will refer to IS813 for gas)

But either way, have you had smell enter the property from the vents, as the 300mm is really all about dissipation of flue gas.

I would firstly go in light tough with the landlord, and ask would it be possible to have a plume displacement kits fitted to the boiler flue (being a good neighbour) as you are having issues with boiler flue smell entering the property (if this is the case). I my experience, if you go in first with regs and guns blazing, you are less likely to get a fast and amicable solution.

Advertisement