Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hot water tank size and pump requirements

Options
  • 02-09-2020 4:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭

hey there. i'm looking to get a bathroom refit and would love some guidance on a couple of issues. a few different fitters have suggested differing solutions, mostly contradicting each other, so i'm hoping for some unbiased advice!

i want to fit a pumped shower to a first floor bathroom. the bathroom is in an extension with a flat roof. the cold water tank is in the attack, about 5 meters away. the hot water tank is on the first floor, directly below the attic tank.

one plumber said a 'showermate' stuart turner pump hooked to the new shower would be absolutely plenty of power for a proper good amount of pressure. the other has said realistically i'd have to get a 3-bar pump. would a showermate pump be enough? i would have thought that a 2-bar would be in the middle
    and be plenty, but he was adamant. the shower unit will be a standard enough style rainfall with second movable head.

my other query is on the water tank size. the first plumber said nothing about it, but the 3-bar guy seemed to say the tank would barely be enough for 2 showers max. he's trying to push about €1k on a larger tank to be fitted. my wife's concerned if that's the case, it would be very limiting for a long shower. the tank we have is approx 1m tall and 1.5m round, i'm not positive on the capacity.

any advice would be great!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,927 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

amorgan wrote:
    one plumber said a 'showermate' stuart turner pump hooked to the new shower would be absolutely plenty of power for a proper good amount of pressure. the other has said realistically i'd have to get a 3-bar pump. would a showermate pump be enough? i would have thought that a 2-bar would be in the middle and be plenty, but he was adamant. the shower unit will be a standard enough style rainfall with second movable head.

The bigger the head, the more water required. Rain heads can be very disappointing if you don't have enough water going through it. Showermate will be fine for the regular shower head part but not for the rain head if it's a large head.

Personally I'd go 3 bar brass body Stuart Turner. 5 years warranty. Brass body pump will last longer than plastic body and are much more quiet to run

• Registered Users Posts: 12,244 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

1m by .75 by .75 by 3.14 = 1.766 cum = 1,766 litres = 388 gallons = 1.766 tonnes so how full is the tank as part G says 340 litres is enough for a normal 4 bedroom.
    However with a 3 bar pump, a big rainhead, a 1200 by 900 shower, and clearly the OH has more than Georgia on her mind for the shower well hell who knows what volume you need:D
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glggureA_Kk

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,927 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

1m by .75 by .75 by 3.14 = 1.766 cum = 1,766 litres = 388 gallons = 1.766 tonnes so how full is the tank as part G says 340 litres is enough for a normal 4 bedroom. However with a 3 bar pump, a big rainhead, a 1200 by 900 shower, and clearly the OH has more than Georgia on her mind for the shower well hell who knows what volume you need

I've a 3bar pump and a large rainhead. A 10 minute hot shower will go through a full hot water cylinder. It's a brilliant shower but that's the same amount of hot water needed for the average bath. It's one of my guilty pleasures after working on other people's showers all day. Piping hot in the middle of winter and stone cold on the hottest days of the year

Advertisement