Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cyclist killed North Wall Quay 10:30 PM Mon 31St Aug - Hit&Run car dash cam anyone ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

All the Brazilians on my Instagram are really angry about this. All sharing #immigrantlivesmatter and seem to be planning a huge protest. No idea what this has to do with being an immigrant but Irish people get killed on their bicycle all the time like..

Edit: it's actually a vigil. I misread the posts on Instagram.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭worded

MarkY91 wrote: »
    All the Brazilians on my Instagram are really angry about this. All sharing #immigrantlivesmatter and seem to be planning a huge protest. No idea what this has to do with being an immigrant but Irish people get killed on their bicycle all the time like..

People grieving the loss of a fellow countryman while away from home ....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

Radio news report phrased the incident such that it seemed to imply that the car was somehow in charge of its own destiny. It had been found nearby and was now ready to face justice. The occupants fleeing seemed incidental.

RIP to the poor lad trying to make a few quid working on the bike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Cork_Guest

check_six wrote: »
    Radio news report phrased the incident such that it seemed to imply that the car was somehow in charge of its own destiny. It had been found nearby and was now ready to face justice. The occupants fleeing seemed incidental.

RIP to the poor lad trying to make a few quid working on the bike.

It’s the same all the time. It’s always ‘cyclist hit by car’ like we’ve already started living the automated driving machines, yet in reverse it’s ‘CYCLIST MOWS DOWN PERSON IN ANARCHIC DYSTOPIAN MURDER RAMPAGE BECAUSE OF NO ROAD TAX OR INSURANCE LIABILITY JOYRIDE’.......or the like!

Looking at the cracked car windscreen it looks like a very high speed impact.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭TallGlass2

worded wrote: »
    Looking at the cracked car windscreen it looks like a very high speed impact.

Must have been flooring it. Some set of morals driving away from that. All brave driving 100/120km and having the 'crack'. Then these hard lads don't stay at the scene to face up to what they have done. Shower of pricks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

A vigil is being held at The Spire in memory of Thiago Cortes.
    May he rest in peace.

https://www.thejournal.ie/vigil-for-thiago-cortes-in-dublin-5193481-Sep2020/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,775 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

was there some issue that a TD was trying to get rectified through a bill re purchasing of unregistered cars

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

was there some issue that a TD was trying to get rectified through a bill re purchasing of unregistered cars

Still can’t deal with the scramblers so not much hope there but go 32 in a 30 and you and me would be getting points and a fine.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

MarkY91 wrote: »

Well immigrants are much more likely to have to rely on a bicycle as their main form of transport, or indeed for their work. They often are student and in low paying jobs, unable to afford the cost of running a car. Doing absolutely nothing about a city that is actively dangerous and hostile to cyclists has a disproportionate impact on them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,927 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

No doubt these little c*nts are the same ones making the new cycle way at North Strand inhospitable, already they've been throwing bottles etc at passing cyclists. It's crazy to think we have that level of anti social behaviour in our city centre in 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Exodus 1811

I live closeby in Ballybough, commute by bike through close to that area. Reading this today really erked me.

I've called the guards 2 times over incidents of joyriding, but I've given up ringing them due to their response. I was driving home one day down Seville Place, called the Gardai to report a motorbike travelling down the footpath at speed, no reg or helmets, commuters all around. The answer I got was - verbatim - "What do you want us to do about it?". I may use that one at the next checkpoint if I've no tax, insurance or NCT.

Another time a Ford Fiesta was doing handbrake turns outside my apartment gates, again, a nonchalant response from local Gardai.

Young people run riot around this area, with little or no consequence to their vandalisms, assaults, joyrides or whatever. It's crazy. Fireworks have been going off in the area since July??

I live closeby in Ballybough, commute by bike through close to that area. Reading this today really erked me.

I've called the guards 2 times over incidents of joyriding, but I've given up ringing them due to their response. I was driving home one day down Seville Place, called the Gardai to report a motorbike travelling down the footpath at speed, no reg or helmets, commuters all around. The answer I got was - verbatim - "What do you want us to do about it?". I may use that one at the next checkpoint if I've no tax, insurance or NCT.

Another time a Ford Fiesta was doing handbrake turns outside my apartment gates, again, a nonchalant response from local Gardai.

Young people run riot around this area, with little or no consequence to their vandalims, assaults, joyrides or whatever. It's crazy. Fireworks have been going off in the area since July??

I've had the misfortune to spend a lot of time in the area to know that it's an absolute kip full of scumbags who have no regard for anything. I've seen scramblers flying down Amiens st driven by children with no helmets on. Horses racing through Summerhill.
    They should all be rehoused somewhere else and allow decent people to live in the city centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Gerry Hatrick

No doubt these little c*nts are the same ones making the new cycle way at North Strand inhospitable, already they've been throwing bottles etc at passing cyclists. It's crazy to think we have that level of anti social behaviour in our city centre in 2020.

Every major city on the planet has these scummers. Dublin is no different.

They really don't, and certainly don't have gangs of unruly kid street urchins rambling around the city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

I'm not quite sure about that. I think you'll find that Dublin is fairly bad in comparison to most. Not as bad as the worst, but.........

And I'm afraid that the attitude of 'Look, everywhere is the same' is part of Dublin's (Ireland's) problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,893 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

The Era shur tis grand way of thinking. Shur what can be done, shur every place has them.

Not fcuking good enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭Liamo57

They really don't, and certainly don't have gangs of unruly kid street urchins rambling around the city centre.

This is very sad. Dublin, for a small city is infested with lowlife. This poor guy from a lovely country was mowed down by scum who provved their class by doing a runner back to one of the many low lif areas of Dublin. May he rest in peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

The Era shur tis grand way of thinking. Shur what can be done, shur every place has them.

Not fcuking good enough.

What annoys me most is that we are actually doing NOTHING about them. Entire social policy is laissez faire on this. And I think its utterly morally bankrupt because its implicitly saying "It's ok, they won't kill / maim my loved ones". But they do kill / maim someone's loved one's all the time.

It would be fine and well pointing to the existence of the same in other societies if we at least had done everything reasonably possible to prevent it. But we're actually doing close to nothing. Criminal justice system is entirely re-active, wait until people kill someone before doing something.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Scumbags

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

Amirani wrote: »
    Well immigrants are much more likely to have to rely on a bicycle as their main form of transport, or indeed for their work. They often are student and in low paying jobs, unable to afford the cost of running a car. Doing absolutely nothing about a city that is actively dangerous and hostile to cyclists has a disproportionate impact on them.

Its also worth noting that deliveroo drivers, and Brazilians specifically, have been gratuitously attacked on multiple occasions by scum, hence I suspect the reaction here

Polish mate was telling me the police don’t put up with scum bag behaviour in Poland

Offences are linked to their dole or parents dole if they are under age

They have a three strike rule

Someone has died now and it’s too late for this poor unfortunate, but hopefully the police can be given new powers or something .....

Police protecting de communiti

worded wrote: »
    Police protecting de communiti

Even if they got the wrong youngfellas they probably still deserve a hiding

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭wpd

thats the country we live in - a police force that does the minimum and gets away with it but is first inline for pay rises

Here's another shot of the goings on, note the little scrote on a road bike miles to big for him bottom left near the end. Actually I'd wager a lot of the bikes in that part of the video are hot.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ireland/comments/ilcarn/deliveroo_guys_outside_house_of_driver_who_killed/

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Mod note: this is a condolences thread, we can move the discussion to another thread or forum to discuss wider issues. Any further OT posts will be deleted. This is a place to express sympathy with Thiago Cortes's family and friends, who are really suffering right now.

Rest in peace Thiago Cortes. I can't imagine what his family and friends are going through right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Thiago's fiance Teresa was speaking on Newstalk Breakfast this morning. They were due to get married later this year. Heartbreaking to listen to :( RIP.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Duckjob wrote: »
    Thiago's fiance Teresa was speaking on Newstalk Breakfast this morning. They were due to get married later this year. Heartbreaking to listen to :( RIP.
    "...and in our next scheduled programme on newstalk, presenter Pat Kenny will hold a discussion on cycling and will be chatting openly with members from the Road Haulage Industry, the Taxi Drivers Federation and the AA." :rolleyes:

Advertisement