Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
New AMA with a US police officer (he's back!). You can ask your questions here

VRT late registration fee

• 02-09-2020 3:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭ commited

Hi folks,

I have been reading up on the VRT manual and I don't have 100% confidence in the answer I'm finding for the below question

Say you had a September 1990 car that has been in the state since June 2020 and presented it for VRT once it has reached 30 years old - would your penalty be based on the €200 VRT cost or the VRT that would have been due in June/July? If it is based on the classic VRT rate, it would appear that the penalty is 20c/day which is no big deal...

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 4,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭ kadman

I would think the penalty would be based on the day it was imported into Ireland.

What makes you think it might be a different date?

How do you have a September 1990 car, in the state since June 1990, 3 months before its date???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,156 ✭✭✭ w124man

kadman wrote: »
    I would think the penalty would be based on the day it was imported into Ireland.

Exactly!

Cue the 'ah sure you can get a receipt from yer man up North' brigade!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 4,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭ kadman

w124man wrote: »
    Exactly!

Cue the 'ah sure you can get a receipt from yer man up North' brigade!

Yer man up norf must be busy lately getting sorted for brexit:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭ Isambard

presumably you mean it's been in the State since June this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭ commited

Isambard wrote: »
    presumably you mean it's been in the State since June this year?

yes sorry edited the post! My reading is the penalty is based on the day that its presented?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,831 ✭✭✭ RobAMerc

you might be able to get away with the fact they haven't been doing vrt for a long while - earliest I could get was Yesterday, trying since July
    However, you might get a pr*ck who says you gotta pay the VRT due within 30 days of arrival in the country - that would mean you are liable for NOX and minimum VRT. remember your car isnt elligible for vintage VRT till 30year anniversary, but you've had it here since before that.

I would "re-import" it if I was you.

Advertisement