Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quitting a job I’m not happy in

Options
  • 02-09-2020 11:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭

Looking for advice on quitting my job.

I’m a graduate in a large company, finding it very stressful and difficult to cope with weekly unrealistic deadlines set out my management over the last 6 months with no end in sight. (Other team members have quit and kicked up over this already) I have no bills to pay, a financial cushion I have saved myself and parents who are fully supportive. And a family business to fall back on in a few years when they begin to retire from it.

How daft would I be to throw in the towel in this economy? From what I can see business hasn’t slowed at all in my field so I hope to find another job in a smaller slower paced company if possible.

What’s the best way to go about quitting during covid. I can’t meet face to face with a manager, should I just give him a call to tell him my intentions before I submit a formal resignation?

Any insight from someone with experience is appreciated. I feel at a complete loss and this job has me worrying I’ve made a horrible career choice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭B-D-P--

Mental health > Work issues.

If your not happy start checking around for other jobs.

The best advice I can give while you are still in your role is

"Dont make the company's problem, your problem."

I'm not say to be slack, But work efficient & what you get done you get done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

If things are really bad quit through email. If you want you could give your manager a call and quit over the phone first. I’d strongly recommend having a job lined up before you quit though. I know that sometimes that’s not possible. I was in this situation before where I was treated like dirt in a job and I actually quit while I was on holidays because the thought of going back was making me physically ill. As soon as I quit I felt excellent and landed and much better and higher paid job just 2 weeks later. Best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭unhappys10

Sounds a bit like a trainee accountant?

I was in a similar situation, graduated and secured a place in a big 4 accounting firm, life couldn't have been better, until I started that was.
    Absolute slave labour is all it is. I stuck it out for 2 years of the 3.5 year requirement.
    The only reason I stayed so long is that I hate to quit anything once I start.

I'm my group of about 30 people, 3 or 4 were gone in the first year with another 5 or 6 in the second year.
    People out all over the place sick and on stress leave etc.

I wouldn't recommend one of those places to my worst enemy and its about time a light was shone on the bahaviour of management in these places towards trainees.

I left, had a new job within a couple of weeks (different climate I know but there are jobs out there) and finished my training and since qualified as a Chartered Accountant and I earn more than any of the people who stayed to finish due to the field I landed in, probably more than they'll be on in 5 years even though they stayed.

My advice, get the hell out, life is too short and there are other ways to reach your goal.

I'm sure someone will be along to say stick it out blah blah blah but if you're not happy just go. The feeling I had that day I handed back the work laptop and walked out the door, pure joy!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,039 ✭✭✭✭neris

A large company with unrealistic deadlines is the kind of company for people who's lives revolve around work and have no problem staying in the office till late and think they have a great future (which they may) with that company. Give your boss a call letting them know you been thinking about your current work situation and future and have decided to leave the company and you will be sending on your formal written notice later.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,360 ✭✭✭MacDanger

To answer your last question first, yes a phone/web meeting with your manager to verbally resign and follow that with written confirmation of your finish date.

If I were you, I'd start applying for new jobs immediately and get something sorted before jacking in your current job. It's always easier to find a job when you have a job rather than when you don't.

Firstly, it means you avoid the question of why you quit your previous job; instead when they ask why you want to leave you can say that you like your current job but you'd LOVE the job you're interviewing for i.e. it's a pull factor rather than a push factor that's driving the job change.

Secondly, it's going to look bad having only spent 6 months in a job and then walk away from it regardless of the circumstances. That will flag immediately on your CV when you submit it for a new job.

Thirdly, it might take you longer to get a new job than you imagine and the longer it takes, the harder it will become.

As regards your current job, try not to stress too much over it (once you decide in your head that you're leaving this should be easier), some places are just bad work environments so do what you can without killing yourself.

Good luck with it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭Springy Turf

B-D-P-- wrote: »
    Mental health > Work issues.

If your not happy start checking around for other jobs.

The best advice I can give while you are still in your role is

"Dont make the company's problem, your problem."

I'm not say to be slack, But work efficient & what you get done you get done.

First of all I'd agree that your mental health is number 1 - whatever you do, do not compromise on this.

A lot here depends on the culture within the company, how your other colleagues are dealing with the workload, and most importantly of all, your manager.

If your managers expectations are unrealistic, then all you can do is work efficiently and consistently. If the pressure is constant, then allowing yourself to overwork to try and meet expectations will only lead to burnout. I think part of this is being clear with your manager on timelines for delivering work. If you think a deadline or target he/she sets for you is unrealistic, then let them know in a one-to-one setting.

If this way of working is incompatible with the job, then it does sound like moving jobs is a good option- but traditional wisdom would say its better to stay in this job until you have lined up an alternative. Again, if you think your mental health will suffer by sticking it out until you find something else, then based on your current financial position, leaving would be preferable to burnout.

If you do decide to leave, make sure you do it as amicably and professionally as possible. Ireland is a very small country - you have nothing to gain from leaving a sour taste in anyones mouth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

Do you not have regular meetings with your manager to discuss your work, development and any issues you may have? This is the time to run through the challenges you have and ways of resolving them. If you are sure about leaving then this is also the time to talk about why you want to leave.

If you do not have these then request a 1 to 1 and talk about your work and how to make it a better working environment before you talk about quitting. A simple tactic I use for when I am being overloaded is to say the quality of work is suffering as result of the productivity demands. Another point to remember if you are early in your career and at the bottom rung of the ladder, shoite rolls down hill! Most of us have had to experience being the coffee boy and doing the crap/boring tasks until we make an impression.

Are you part of a graduate program? Most would be structured to have a expectation of attrition using stretch targets to filter out the best workers. You might find once they hit the level of graduates they actually need then it will be a pleasant place to work. Think of it like a army boot camp, 6 weeks of hell during basic training and then a decent job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭unhappys10

krissovo wrote: »
    Do you not have regular meetings with your manager to discuss your work, development and any issues you may have? This is the time to run through the challenges you have and ways of resolving them. If you are sure about leaving then this is also the time to talk about why you want to leave.

If you do not have these then request a 1 to 1 and talk about your work and how to make it a better working environment before you talk about quitting. A simple tactic I use for when I am being overloaded is to say the quality of work is suffering as result of the productivity demands. Another point to remember if you are early in your career and at the bottom rung of the ladder, shoite rolls down hill! Most of us have had to experience being the coffee boy and doing the crap/boring tasks until we make an impression.

Are you part of a graduate program? Most would be structured to have a expectation of attrition using stretch targets to filter out the best workers. You might find once they hit the level of graduates they actually need then it will be a pleasant place to work. Think of it like a army boot camp, 6 weeks of hell during basic training and then a decent job.

If I'm right and it is a big 4 accounting environment none of that advice will work from my experience. I've seen trainees have abuse hurled at them from managers when they spoke up about not meeting totally unrealistic deadlines.

I know of one person who was out sick due to an injury which left them temporarily blind in one eye.
    They were getting emails from a manager asking when would they be back, never how are you doing etc.
    Gradually escalated to when are you back, you're holding up the job etc.

These places are absolute kips and they know they have trainees between a rock and a hard place as they think they need to stick it out to qualify.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭jordanfaf

Thanks for the responses. Not an accounting job, I’m in architecture (I myself and a technologist, not a pure architect)

We have weekly meeting where the unrealistic deadline are regularly brought up, but fall on deaf ears. The team gets a pep talk and a slap on the arse back to work.

I’ve been in the company for well over a year with a hiatus in between to finish my degree. Previously was the same situation but was broken up by being in college in and off. And a year off to finish out study. Since finishing I’ve been back about a year.

We’ve had a relentless project which went in for planning 3 weeks ago which was suppose to be the end of the severe pressure for a bit. But we were slapped back into an equally relentless project with silly weekly deadlines.

My main concern is since I fell into this job straigh out of college, I have no interview experience and very little in the way of a portfolio. But I feel I just need to get out and take life as it comes after the fact. I’m drained when I get home late most days and have no energy to put into looking for a job

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

It is not daft to quit a job you're not happy in. As a matter of fact, it's very positive and a pro-active thing to do, especially if you are in a position where you can keep yourself afloat financially.

Priorities.

• Advertisement

jordanfaf wrote: »
    My main concern is since I fell into this job straigh out of college, I have no interview experience and very little in the way of a portfolio. But I feel I just need to get out and take life as it comes after the fact. I’m drained when I get home late most days and have no energy to put into looking for a job

What happens if you miss a deadline? Is it possible for you to reduce your own workload? (As in, just do less...)

If you say a target is unrealistic, and then the target is missed, who's fault is it?

In terms of it being a safe industry, unfortunately there are no safe industries at the moment (bar the public sector and COVID related work). COVID will impact every line of work - it's just a matter of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,025 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

How daft you are to quit your job depends on how easy it is to get another job, how important your reference is, and how common this type of workload is in your industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭JoChervil

But maybe it is only a boundaries issue? You said it is your first job, so you are unexperienced, how to stop people using you.

As long as you only bring a subject of unrealistic deadlines they will do nothing. Make them to decide, what have to be done. Simply start asking questions like: I can't do x, y and z in that time., which one I should shift for the next week. etc.

But as you said few people already left, so maybe situation can't be changed, so in that case you are right and should leave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭Liamo57

Looking for advice on quitting my job.

I’m a graduate in a large company, finding it very stressful and difficult to cope with weekly unrealistic deadlines set out my management over the last 6 months with no end in sight. (Other team members have quit and kicked up over this already) I have no bills to pay, a financial cushion I have saved myself and parents who are fully supportive. And a family business to fall back on in a few years when they begin to retire from it.

How daft would I be to throw in the towel in this economy? From what I can see business hasn’t slowed at all in my field so I hope to find another job in a smaller slower paced company if possible.

What’s the best way to go about quitting during covid. I can’t meet face to face with a manager, should I just give him a call to tell him my intentions before I submit a formal resignation?

Any insight from someone with experience is appreciated. I feel at a complete loss and this job has me worrying I’ve made a horrible career choice.

The most important thing in life is to be hapoy. It is vital youbare happy in your job. Meet your manager face to face abmnd dont let him give you ****. You are unhappy, the job is shiet, end of. There are hundreds of happy jobs out there. I retired last year after 39 hapoy years. Im working in a lovely part time job. I have a simple life and its great. Best of luck to you, you will never look back and your health is everything.

Liamo57 wrote: »
    The most important thing in life is to be hapoy. It is vital youbare happy in your job. Meet your manager face to face abmnd dont let him give you ****. You are unhappy, the job is shiet, end of. There are hundreds of happy jobs out there. I retired last year after 39 hapoy years. Im working in a lovely part time job. I have a simple life and its great. Best of luck to you, you will never look back and your health is everything.

But in the real world, sometimes jobs are hard and not always enjoyable, particularly when you are starting off on the bottom rung of a company. If you want happy days, sell ice cream, if you want to progress in your career, sometimes hard graft is necessary, and every day isn’t a happy one.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 R75MM

Good afternoon,
    Above everything else you need to look after yourself. For me, that's being happy in the job and with the people I work with.

It sounds to me like you need to hand in your notice today, and work your notice period.That said, I agree with your concerns regarding interview experience etc, however what I would say is go into a job agency - get them to help you find a job - let them also coach you on the interview and how to write up a CV etc.

Personally, I do not like Job agencies however if you feel like you need interview support etc they could be your free answer!

Obviously, you can seek out interview and CV coaches online and pay them and only use a job agency as a last resort.

You are so, so, so lucky. You have the safety net & options. Use them if you feel you need to.

Best of luck - better times are ahead

- R7

OP - would you enjoy the job if the workload was more manageable? I.e. do you enjoy the work itself and get on with the people you work with? If so, finding some way of managing expectations with your boss so that you can have a good work/live balance could be a good way forward.

In terms of some of the advice here about there being loads of happy jobs out there - for the most part, there are very few "dream" jobs. It sounds like you have stuck it out in this place longer than others, so you are clearly not flakey - but all the same, I would be cautious about jumping for greener grass if the issues where you are can be solved.

Also, just to reiterate from before, some posters are advising what I would describe as a bit of a scorched earth approach to leaving this job. This is really terrible advice. The modern career entails multiple job changes over it's course. Every relationship that sours now is a closed door in the future. The further you get in your career, the more important your list of contacts become.

I’m not a a flaky person. I do worry about letting people down and do want to be successful in whatever I turn my mind to. On that point I’d never leave on a scorched earth approach. I plan to work my notice. Be apologetic even if it isn’t my fault and help the company transition within reason.

I had a call with my manager today. As expected he didn’t want me to go and promised change in the coming weeks. At this stage I guess I have nothing to lose by giving him a chance. Best case he does change and I get to work with great coworkers in a nice office. Worst case I end up where I am now. And get out of dodge as soon as I can.

Thanks all for the feedback. I’ll keep this thread updated with any progress

To quote John Goodman, I’m in the position of F*ck you

I had a call with my manager today. As expected he didn’t want me to go and promised change in the coming weeks. At this stage I guess I have nothing to lose by giving him a chance. Best case he does change and I get to work with great coworkers in a nice office. Worst case I end up where I am now. And get out of dodge as soon as I can.

That sounds very positive. Best of luck!

In the mean time, think about whether or not there is anything you can do to become more confident about applying for other jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 some.guy

I would say that if you're on the verge of quitting then you might as well exhaust all options first since you've nothing to lose.
    Some options would be to use all your holiday leave, take a career break, get your doctor to sign off on a 3-6 month sabbatical, talk to your employer about going part-time or changing your role etc. I'm not sure how realistic all of these options are for you, but it worth trying some/all of them if you're just going to quit anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭thefa

I think you’re going down the right route. If there’s no change by the end of the month, start applying elsewhere. Don’t worry too much about interviewing process or other recruiting elements, as it just takes research and practice to sell yourself to a role.

Been in a similar position in my first job where I was given & taking on too much early on but a bit of communication turned it into a half-decade with the company in multiple roles which I think stood to me on the CV. There’s definitely an element of hard graft to graduate roles but a good starting job can set you up well down the road if the workload can be made manageable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

Another thing to consider is that if you do stick it out, you will in time become better able to deliver more work in the same amount of time which might lessen the pressure on you.

As you become more accustomed to the work, learning software shortcuts, where to find information quickly, you'd find yourself becoming more efficient.

Well I hit breaking point and handed in my 4 weeks notice.
    My manager hasn’t yet responded to me regarding my resignation letter and continues to pile on more work that is possible for me to do on a good day, let alone in my current mindset.

There is a major deadline due in 2 weeks time, the whole team is struggling to keep pace. I had hoped to be selfish and manage to get out before this. But aside from walking out (not on my wish list) it appears I have to tough out the notice period, work my contracted hours and what gets done is what gets done.

I’m basically just hanging in for a half decent reference. But I’m worried even if I hand in, with missing this impossible deadline I won’t even get a decent notice.

Sorry to hear it. Sounds like a dreadful environment.

When you get around to applying for your next job - don't be unduly worried about your interview skills or experience. Job Specs are for the most part just a wish list from the recruiter. You have a valuable skill and any company who interviews you are rooting for you to do well - at the end of the day they have a need and they want you to show that you can meet that need.

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭Augme

I’m basically just hanging in for a half decent reference. But I’m worried even if I hand in, with missing this impossible deadline I won’t even get a decent notice.

Most large organisations dont give out performance related references anymore. They will provide a confirmation of the dates you worked there but now a days they are all very reluctant to comment on an emloyees performance.

Augme wrote: »
    Most large organisations dont give out performance related references anymore. They will provide a confirmation of the dates you worked there but now a days they are all very reluctant to comment on an emloyees performance.

Most don’t give out written references, that does not mean they will not comment verbally on performance if contacted, particularly in niche industries where owners/managers may know each other professionally or personally.

Advertisement