Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best way of selling calves

Options
  • 02-09-2020 8:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭

Hi,

Recently took over farm so trying to figure out best way of selling calves.

We have 8 calves this year born from March to August.

I was thinking of selling them off as runners, weaning them them from the cow after 2 weeks on good grass and doing the 2 weeks of weanling ration for the beep scheme.

We usually hang on to 2 of the late born calves over the winter but it is a bit of work cleaning out sheds and feeding. Just wondering when you factor in costs if it is worth it.

We have 8 cows and a slatted shed. Around 40 acres of marginal/good ground.

Just wondering how to make it more easier in terms of workload. I know there are different approaches to the above and no "right" answer but it would be good to hear what people think.

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Hi,

Recently took over farm so trying to figure out best way of selling calves.

We have 8 calves this year born from March to August.

I was thinking of selling them off as runners, weaning them them from the cow after 2 weeks on good grass and doing the 2 weeks of weanling ration for the beep scheme.

We usually hang on to 2 of the late born calves over the winter but it is a bit of work cleaning out sheds and feeding. Just wondering when you factor in costs if it is worth it.

We have 8 cows and a slatted shed. Around 40 acres of marginal/good ground.

Just wondering how to make it more easier in terms of workload. I know there are different approaches to the above and no "right" answer but it would be good to hear what people think.

Thanks!
    You'll have to do your own sums on that, I'd say.

Can you section off a portion of the slatted unit and feed the two weanlings there? It would reduce the workload from cleaning and bedding them and they can be fed the same as the cows with a bit of ration once a day to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,532 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Most lads would work straight off to tighten up the calving pattern. This gives you stock of closer age so easier to make decisions.

It depends on stock and current market whether it makes sense to sell off or overwinter so yea, there’s no one answer. It also depends where you farm, overwinter can be from 8 weeks in good areas to 30 weeks in marginal areas so obvious difference in wintering costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭irishguy19772

Thanks lads. I'll keep an eye on prices and let a few off and see how I get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Thanks lads. I'll keep an eye on prices and let a few off and see how I get on.

As a general rule in my opinion you’ll always do better in spring. You have the summer farmers, people are most optimistic, it’s just a better time to sell.

Having said that there’s probably the same work in 2 as there is in 22 so I’d be inclined to get rid and save yourself that labour. Be different if you were keeping all your calves

Advertisement