Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Window Wont Open - Help Needed

Options
  • 02-09-2020 6:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭

So the attached is a pic of the window latch in the open position, but the window wont open, the key doesn't work and the lever wont move.

I thought a hex/allen key would work , but none of them fit -
    is there a particular tool required??

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

some type starbit will work
    also try another key from another window

• Registered Users Posts: 33,743 ✭✭✭✭listermint

It looks to be in the open position. Or at least close to it. Can you feel a machinism moving as you turn it if yes then the lock part works.

It could just be rust hinge, you may have to give the lower edges a sharp bang with something like the end of a piece of timber.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭VUDuo2

thanks a mil for your suggestions bobbyy gee & listermint I'll try those later, cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

VUDuo2 wrote: »
    So the attached is a pic of the window latch in the open position, but the window wont open, the key doesn't work and the lever wont move.

I thought a hex/allen key would work , but none of them fit -
    is there a particular tool required??

Looks like a security screw. You can screw them in but not out.

You can buy a special tool to remove them but if you have a drill and a metal bit you can just drill them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭VUDuo2

Got those screws out & lever off ,via a star bit.

Now I have an open window in our 1st floor bedroom - which is nice, at the moment!!
    Thanks again to all.

I think I'll replace the lever and maybe use this lube on the underside of the window ???

• Advertisement
Advertisement