Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

when does a chimney need rebuilding?

Options
  • 01-09-2020 8:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭

We are selling our house. It's a terraced, concrete built, former council house from the 1950s. We're sale agreed.

The survey noted a small stain on the ceiling by the chimney breast in an upstairs room (been there for years and has never spread but maybe we should have pained over it?). Following on from the survey the buyer asked to have a 'builder' inspect the chimney from the attic. A person came by, took a picture of the chimney from the back garden, and determined that the whole chimney needs to be taken down to below roof level and rebuilt. There was no inspection from inside the chimney or even from the attic. But I can see that there is a crack visible in the render. To me it looks narrow (not gaping) and only about a foot long.

Now the interesting part! Since the 'builder' determined the whole thing needs to be rebuilt we have become aware that he is actually the husband of the buyer. We are suspicious that this is all a ruse to get the price reduced. So my question is, can you determine that a chimney needs rebuilding based only on a photo taken from the back garden or would you need to inspect from the attic or inside the chimney itself? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,346 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Well is he prepared to issue a written certificate, as a professional who can be sued if its wrong, to that effect?

There is a vey clear conflict of interest there so I don't believe either his or your solicitor should accept his report.

You need to access the attic and see what its like above the ceiling line, the stain could be from either a flashing leak or a crack in the coping on the top of the chimney allowing water seep down outside the flue and into the stack.

A proper flue inspection will require a camera down the flue which should be recorded, dated stamped and certified.

If you post pictures somewhere and then post a link here with spaces in the URL, then we can go take a look, as a new member here you cant post either pictures or full links

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭diggerdigger

In 2019 I sold my house, and the buyer sent a builders quote for 7k for a chimney rebuild and tried to argue for a price drop. A random builders opinion, who would love to get the work, on a chimney is not worth anything.

In my case the chimney problem had been remedied previously, and it was leaking at the top of the chimney around the flue.

If a buyer wants to fork out for a full professional chimney survey by a certified surveyor, with written report, insured then let them at it.

I stated that remediation works had been undertaken years before, and the house was being sold as is for the sale agreed price, or i was relisting. Sale went through fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭kevcos

You don't need to do anything with this.

I wouldn't accept or challenge that a repair is needed.

Crack on (no pun intended) with the sale as agreed. If they ask for a price reduction then you will have to decide if you are happy with accepting less or not.

The "chimney repair" is being framed as an issue with the house so to be used as bargaining chip on their behalf.

Its up to you how to react, you'll have a judgement call to make but for me its all about price and not a repair (a repair that may or make not be required, or may or not may be repaired even if required)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,376 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

If it build in the 1950's it unlikely that chimney pots were used up along chimney. This would mean it is only concrete blocks that around chimney ope . It is highly unlikely that the chimney structure is unsound. Nowadays with flexible flue any future staining is prevented by there instalkation. Most people fit flexible flues for new stove installations. A flexible flue is about 200 euro

I be pretty annoyed that a buyer tried to use a professional opinion off a relation. I think.OP I tell them it being relisted and sold as is or go back to underbidders

Another option is to tell the buyer tried hat you will pay for a flexible flue and as her husband is in the building trade he can fit it

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭muddle84

You could get your own structural engineer to get a look and you get a second opinion from another builder then you have more information to make a decision.

If i was you i wouldn't spend more money on either and stick to your guns and tell the buyer to take it at the agreed price or you will get someone else to buy it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement