Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CXy bike - recomendations

Options
  • 01-09-2020 7:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭

so with cx coming back, league of leinstercross, racing in all the provinces and who knows where else, the time has come for me to get a new cx bike.

Looking for recommendations for a good cx bike, carbon, light, 1* drivetrain, budget about 2500 - 3000, getable in lbs as it will be bike to work. I will use it for commuting midweek, obviously.

Any recomendations (with pictures) are welcome :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭calistro

lennymc wrote: »
    so with cx coming back, league of leinstercross, racing in all the provinces and who knows where else, the time has come for me to get a new cx bike.

Looking for recommendations for a good cx bike, carbon, light, 1* drivetrain, budget about 2500 - 3000, getable in lbs as it will be bike to work. I will use it for commuting midweek, obviously.

Any recomendations (with pictures) are welcome :)

Kona are clearing out their stocks of 2018 Super Jake's - full carbon, Sram Force groupset. Reduce to about €2800. Can also take up to 40mm tyres and has mounts for racks etc. I ordered one yesterday!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

where did you order?

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭calistro

where did you order?

My local bike shop is a Kona distributor, if you want to check available sizes send me a PM and I'l get him to check, unless you have a distributor near you.

not sure if distributor near me, will check it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭okane1

Check out the Cube Cross Race C:62 series. I got the SL version last year and find it an excellent CX bike. Full carbon fibre - very light.

• Advertisement

okane1 wrote: »
    Check out the Cube Cross Race C:62 series. I got the SL version last year and find it an excellent CX bike. Full carbon fibre - very light.

none in stock anywhere (that i can find) in my size unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭Whyner

none in stock anywhere (that i can find) in my size unfortunately

What size are you?

I'd keep those knobbly tyres for CX on a 3k bike and not wear the grooves out commuting

small - circa 530ish top tube, but dont mind going smaller. I have heard mixed reviews on the planetx, i did look at it. Not very much stock of anything anywhere.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Whatwicklow

small - circa 530ish top tube, but dont mind going smaller. I have heard mixed reviews on the planetx, i did look at it. Not very much stock of anything anywhere.

I have a carbon px xls, nice bike. I raced cx and did some long gravel type rides on it (Inc the 100km lakelander last year). And it was very comfortable. Stock everything but I'll change the wheels if cx racing goes ahead this year. Stock ones are VVV heavy. Comfy cheap bike after that.

the gravel bikes dont really do it for me - i have a surly cross check, which is quite capable in the gravel department, so ideally looking for a focused cx bike. The knobblies will be safe @Whyner :)

edit - re planetx, it is a nice spec for the money alright, i have other wheels i can use, i did hear a few concerns about the shifting - what has your experience been like? The have an evo frame now - wonder if it is any different to the original xls.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Whatwicklow

the gravel bikes dont really do it for me - i have a surly cross check, which is quite capable in the gravel department, so ideally looking for a focused cx bike. The knobblies will be safe @Whyner :)

edit - re planetx, it is a nice spec for the money alright, i have other wheels i can use, i did hear a few concerns about the shifting - what has your experience been like? The have an evo frame now - wonder if it is any different to the original xls.

No prob with shifting, I have it set up 1*10 sram with 38t narrow wide chainring 11/36 mtb cassette. I didn't have any issues but did install a full length cable outer for the rear mech (drilled out the top tube stops)

so I ordered the planet x xls evo with sram force, upgraded wheels to the deeper ones, carbon aer bars (wtf - on a cross bike???? LOL) carbon seat post and a different saddle. Probably wont be here for kinning gp, but should have it for most of the season. Severe shortage of small bikes out there.

Stock image

CBPXXLSEVFOR1_P1.jpg?v=qa

bike turned up today

525787.jpeg

it's a small, (which was the recomended size) but looks bigger than a small. Ill try get out for a spin later and see how it is. Circa 9kg with pedals and computer mount etc according to bathroom scales.

upgrades are the wheels, carbon seatpost, carbon aero bars and saddle. Looks well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭Paddigol

Well jealous! I ordered my Ribble CX on 7th August... estimated delivery time of 4-5 weeks... after 4 weeks I got an update saying a build date for my bike had been set... 23rd October!!! This this season gone for me. Ah well, I'm not going to be too critical of Ribble cos bike and components supply chain seems all over the place globally. Plus they're sending me a 'care package' with £100 of accessories.

the planetx was in stock when i ordered, and i got a mail with a build date of 07/09. I read that in the morning when I was half asleep, and thought wtf, why are they sending me the bike in November!! That is of no use to me. I had a coffee, reread it and realised my mistake. I was all set to cancel.

Hopefully you will get your bike soon enough

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Oberkon

bike turned up today

525787.jpeg

it's a small, (which was the recomended size) but looks bigger than a small. Ill try get out for a spin later and see how it is. Circa 9kg with pedals and computer mount etc according to bathroom scales.

upgrades are the wheels, carbon seatpost, carbon aero bars and saddle. Looks well.

Tasty bike , I’ve had my eye on this for cx in size small also . Do you know the saddle height in photo from BB ? Be interested in hearing how it rides too, especially against your gravel bike .

just back from a spin - rides like a proper cx bike. twitchy at the front, but stable over rough stuff. did about an hour - some sandy single trail, some grass, some road, some bits and bobs. It wont be the bikes fault if i dont do well this year. It's about 700mm from centre of bb to top of saddle, i have brought it up another 15mm, to match my other bikes, and it feels like a nice fit. I like the aero bars - they are comfy, and add some aggressiveness to the bike - makes you want to push on. Over the hour, it was comfy (i was aiming for every bit of gravel and grass verge i could find. Mud clearance looks ok too - wasnt mad muddy, but there was some buildup, which didnt interfere with the drivetrain. The tyres are not suited for mud tho - so a set of mud tyres will be a must for the season. Overall, i'm happy with it, and looking forward to many hours of suffering (and pushing robfowl into the ditch).

My other gravel bike is a surly cross check - it's a bit of a mish-mash of a do everything bike, which i raced cx on. The surly feels more relaxed than the planet x. Planetx wants you to push on, the surly will get you there in it's own time.

525807.jpeg

A durty cx bike is a happy cx bike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Oberkon

You gave that a good lash tonight , sounds good . Don’t bring it near that lovely clean kitchen until it’s clean ! Seems to have more stand over than the previous model .

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

okane1 wrote: »

Looking at one myself. I have a cross race pro which I am selling and upgrading to either the teamline or the pro C62.

I prefer the frame colour on the c62 pro : https://www.cube.eu/en/2021/bikes/road/offroad/cross-race/cube-cross-race-c62-pro-carbonnflashyellow/

but the components are better on the Teamline:
    https://www.cube.eu/en/2021/bikes/road/offroad/cross-race/cube-cross-race-c62-sl-teamline/

Any opinions out there?

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭byrnem31

CramCycle wrote: »
    Looking at one myself. I have a cross race pro which I am selling and upgrading to either the teamline or the pro C62.

I prefer the frame colour on the c62 pro : https://www.cube.eu/en/2021/bikes/road/offroad/cross-race/cube-cross-race-c62-pro-carbonnflashyellow/

but the components are better on the Teamline:
    https://www.cube.eu/en/2021/bikes/road/offroad/cross-race/cube-cross-race-c62-sl-teamline/

Any opinions out there?

Both lovely bikes but I'd prefer the first one with 2 x11 as its more for road if needed as you are restricted with 1 x11 on the second bike. The 2nd bike is stunning though.

Cube make lovely well made bikes. I had a nuroad 2018 and it was a solid bike.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

byrnem31 wrote: »
    Both lovely bikes but I'd prefer the first one with 2 x11 as its more for road if needed as you are restricted with 1 x11 on the second bike. The 2nd bike is stunning though.

Cube make lovely well made bikes. I had a nuroad 2018 and it was a solid bike.

The huge benefit of that bike over the other as 2x is that I can swap parts between it and my road bike to beat the band.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Cripes that's some size of a fork Lenny!!

Nice looking bike though. What was the ballpark in the end with the upgraded bits?

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭duffyshuffle

Anyone recommend a rim brake tubeless wheelset option at the lower-mid price range for a heavy rider?
    Have stock wheels with a Focus Mares from a few years back and bearings in bits and think it's time for a nicer wheel - ballpark €400 spend, thanks!

Advertisement