Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on dishwasher cutlery basket repair

Options
  • 01-09-2020 4:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭

The cutlery basket in our dishwasher has now an annoying hole that cutlery slips through regularly and jams thins things up.
    bu4QIL.jpg

Does anyone have any ideas on how a good way to repair this?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Pronto63

boardtc wrote: »
    The cutlery basket in our dishwasher has now an annoying hole that cutlery slips through regularly and jams thins things up.
    bu4QIL.jpgDoes anyone have any ideas on how a good way to repair this?

Buy a new one.
    I got a generic one in Power City a couple of years ago. Can’t remember price but wasn’t expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,870 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

You can get replacements online. I doubt it's worth the bother of fixing it.

Have a look here.

https://www.espares.ie/search/ma808pt1530/dishwashers/cutlery-baskets/hotpoint

• Registered Users Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭cHaTbOx

I'd use a couple of small cable ties . Saves buying new one , easy to fix and trim away excess.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭jmBuildExt

Although its probably minimal in this case, cable ties are probably not suitable for heating up and soaking with water to run over the dishes/utensils you are going to eat with.

Im by no means an eco warrior, but plastic is horrible stuff. I never put it in the diswasher ....admittedly with the exception of the utensil holder :) which should be made from plastc suitable for dishwashing and suitable to be used in food applications.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭boardtc

cHaTbOx wrote: »
    I'd use a couple of small cable ties . Saves buying new one , easy to fix and trim away excess.

Superb idea!!! I'm into repair as much as possible. We'll see how the cable ties hold up, just more plastic so I can't see an issue. Thanks a million.

• Advertisement
  • Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Cut a square of plastic mesh netting (the solid type) to the same dimensions as the square slot, and drop it down into the bottom of the slot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭ActingDanClark

They're about a fiver

jmBuildExt wrote: »
    Although its probably minimal in this case, cable ties are probably not suitable for heating up and soaking with water to run over the dishes/utensils you are going to eat with.

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭boardtc

They're about a fiver
    It's not a money thing, it's a repair thing.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

If you had something similar made from the same type of plastic you could repair it by melting the new & old plastic together with an old soldering iron.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭bladespin

Im by no means an eco warrior, but plastic is horrible stuff. I never put it in the diswasher ....admittedly with the exception of the utensil holder :) which should be made from plastc suitable for dishwashing and suitable to be used in food applications.

If you're worried you can get food/medical grade cable ties.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭jmBuildExt

bladespin wrote: »
    If you're worried you can get food/medical grade cable ties.

My dishwasher holder isnt broken :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭bladespin

My dishwasher holder isnt broken :)

Was referring to your concern over cable ties.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Vita nova

Cut one or more pieces of the plastic grid from the sides of the basket (e.g. top middle of photo) and place over the broken bottom section. No need to stick or melt them, the cutlery will keep them in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

Don't use cable ties!!

They'll melt and break away with the heat and water.

Use copper wire and twist it around the hold tieing it through the unbroken plastic

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

salonfire wrote: »
    Don't use cable ties!!

They'll melt and break away with the heat and water.

I repaired our dishwasher just after Christmas using 2 cables ties, the standard plastic ones. No probs since with almost daily usage.

If they break it's pennies to replace , or go fancy with steel cable ties.

Advertisement