Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boiler replacement - what think ye of this?

Options
  • 01-09-2020 8:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭

So I have a 4 bed semi in Dublin 9 that was built mid 50s. It has 8 rads in total and currently a Baxi Solo 2 gas boiler that's at least 20 years old that's had the circuit board and fan replaced a few times over the years. House has gun barrel piping.

The area has low water pressure and I have an instant electric shower as opposed to a pumped one. I've also decided to replace the hot water cylinder just to future proof it.

I had 3 plumbers look at the house and none of them recommended a combi boiler. Below is the spec from the guy I picked:

- Earth Cable from Board to Boiler Externally: € 300

- Supply and fit new 25 kw Glowworm Energy system boiler, new lagging jacket on old cylinder, new immersion and new earth cabling to boiler: € 2080 In vat

- Supply and fit new 25 kw Glowworm Energy system boiler, new 36 x 18 insulated cylinder, with thermostat control for water for heating system and including new earth cable from board: € 2640 in vat

- Magnetic filter is included, also chemical clean. No power flush as it does not suit gun barrel.

Does this seem reasonable? Are there any questions I should be asking or things I should get the plumber to do that I might not have thought of?

Tia

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭rightjob!

So I have a 4 bed semi in Dublin 9 that was built mid 50s. It has 8 rads in total and currently a Baxi Solo 2 gas boiler that's at least 20 years old that's had the circuit board and fan replaced a few times over the years. House has gun barrel piping.

The area has low water pressure and I have an instant electric shower as opposed to a pumped one. I've also decided to replace the hot water cylinder just to future proof it.

I had 3 plumbers look at the house and none of them recommended a combi boiler. Below is the spec from the guy I picked:

- Earth Cable from Board to Boiler Externally: € 300

- Supply and fit new 25 kw Glowworm Energy system boiler, new lagging jacket on old cylinder, new immersion and new earth cabling to boiler: € 2080 In vat

- Supply and fit new 25 kw Glowworm Energy system boiler, new 36 x 18 insulated cylinder, with thermostat control for water for heating system and including new earth cable from board: € 2640 in vat

- Magnetic filter is included, also chemical clean. No power flush as it does not suit gun barrel.

Does this seem reasonable? Are there any questions I should be asking or things I should get the plumber to do that I might not have thought of?

Tia

It all depends on your budget.

I personally wouldn't be fitting a Glow worn,much better boilers out there with longer warranties.

If you wanted a combi you could have one fitted,break tank and a booster pump solves any pressure issues.

Prices seem very reasonable i would say.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Some_randomer

I asked him why a Glowworm as opposed to an Ideal that seem to be the most popular, and he said the Glowworm boilers work better in low pressure systems.

He went through the whole process with me and took time to explain everything which is why I picked him, so I trust him that it's a good boiler.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,739 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

I asked him why a Glowworm as opposed to an Ideal that seem to be the most popular, and he said the Glowworm boilers work better in low pressure systems.

He went through the whole process with me and took time to explain everything which is why I picked him, so I trust him that it's a good boiler.

Plenty of reliable boilers work on low pressure systems.
    I’m not a fan of glow worm. Btw, if your system can’t operate on a working pressure of 2 bar then your system needs replacing.

Advertisement