Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterproof Ply as an awning?

Options
  • 31-08-2020 8:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I want to make a very basic awning to attach to a wall to provide shelter for bikes

It's not a square area so I need to angle the sides a bit.
    If it was square I'd probably use a sheet or two of corrugated plastic but I don't fancy cutting that at an angle.

Therefore I was thinking of using waterproof ply.
    Would that work?
    Would it warp?
    Do I need to treat it in any way? Maybe the edges after cutting?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,017 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I'm afraid to make a definitive statement on this, but as far as I know waterproof plywood does not exist.

What exists is plywood where the glue layers are waterproof, but the wood layers still need protection or they will swell and rot.

Essentially the various grades of WBP and marine ply are only as good as the wood plies, and many have softwood plies internally which are exposed as end grain at the cut edges.

Anyway, you can protect plywood with paint or varnish (essentially plastic coating) and it will last a long time if there's no opportunity for pooling, or use something like Danish oil which (outside America where it is mixed with varnish) allows the wood to breathe but isn't waterproof.

Or you could use acetylated wood (e.g tricoya) which is more durable but even more ridiculously expensive than boatbuilding quality marine ply, or save a load of effort and money and use polycarbonate.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,322 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I know you can get waterproof MDF

Medite tricoya

https://mdfosb.com/en/medite/case-studies/medite-tricoya-extreme-ensuring-the-long-life-of-exterior-cladding

Or use OSB and put felt on top

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

A jigsaw should make a good cut you can also get plexeglass which is flat

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Why not get some polycarbonate sheets? Would work out cheaper than ply, look better and be brighter underneath.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭frash

Think I'll go with the poly-carbonate

Thanks all - I wasn't familiar with that material

• Advertisement
Advertisement